Forte, Forte II, Forte III Woofers

John Reiff

The original Forte's woofer had a corrugated paper surround. The Forte II has a rubber like surround. The Forte III has gone back to the corrugated paper style surround. Just out of curiosity I would like to know why the changes back and forth. Thanks, John 

• Moderators

You would have to ask @Chief bonehead he is a bona fide KGI employee and Project Manager/Acoustical Engineer for that Heritage upgrade and the other Heritage upgrades.

He has been real busy of late, so it may be awhile before he responds.

When he does, sometimes he can say, other times he can't. 

On 7/14/2020 at 6:24 PM, John Reiff said:

The original Forte's woofer had a corrugated paper surround. The Forte II has a rubber like surround. The Forte III has gone back to the corrugated paper style surround. Just out of curiosity I would like to know why the changes back and forth. Thanks, John 

MORE BASS ----

billybob: Thanks, I'lI try the white vinegar. Still, I would like to know why the switch back and forth from the original Forte's corrugated paper surround to the Forte II's rubber like surround then back to corrugated paper on the III's. Just curious.

• Like 1

Maybe the historian can help sort that one and as far as cleaning, there are other things available.

Main point is clean and then why not just a light coat of something made for rubber like materials.

Make it more supple I suppose.

Frzninvt is correct.  The original Forte also had the rubber surround, a rubber-edged cone from Donal that I spec'd.  The cone remained in the Forte II, but I don't recall if there were any other minor changes to the driver. 

The corrugated edge is treated and sealed cloth.  It came into use on other Klipsch pro products subsequently, so Roy was very familiar with it.  Also, Donal is out of business, so rubber edges are pretty much the purview of Muller in Germany.  Not exactly economical.

• Like 1