Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
EpicKlipschFan

Binding post caps

Recommended Posts

hi.  i have a wanted ad for some plastic binding post caps but was also wondering if any of the metal caps will fit the plastic cap binding posts?  i have a pair of KG4 that is missing 2 of the black plastic caps, the posts are fine, so im wondering of anyone knows if the metal caps for other models like epic or KLF or kg5.5 or even reference models would fit?  or does anyone know of aftermarket binding posts that the caps would fit klipsch, looks like some of the cheap parts express ones that use the plastic caps are the same size.  i just need 2 of the black plastic caps that fits many models like forte/chorus,& the lower model KG's.  thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any input on these binding posts?  Someone has to have ran into this issue without actually changing the whole binding post.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

Any input on these binding posts?  Someone has to have ran into this issue without actually changing the whole binding post.... 

I haven't seen caps for sale by themselves. Buying posts for just the caps isn't expensive but without knowing post diameter and thread specs, it'll be hard. I don't remember listings for binding posts having this info. What about using banana plugs on your speaker wires? Have you tried contacting Klipsch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had a thought, I have a bunch of binding posts laying around, let me dig around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

Any input on these binding posts?  Someone has to have ran into this issue without actually changing the whole binding post.... 

Need a picture of these, if you can get one. I have drawers full of binding posts, some going back to the early 20th century. Most were designed for the end cap or nut to not come off. So picture, major diameter, and thread pitch, if you can get them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These work good for replacements, minor modification such as drilling terminal holes and cup a bit larger.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MechEngVic said:

I just had a thought, I have a bunch of binding posts laying around, let me dig around.

 

thanks for the replies, i dont have the diameter of the posts but will check. not positive on the thread pitch either.  but these KG4 plastic caps are all the same for many models like forte/chorus/quartet & many other smaller KG models.   

 

i prefer to keep the factory binding posts as opposed to drilling & replacing with new ones.... but some of the aftermarket ones look like the same size/thread so im willing to go that route if i cant find any original klipsch caps.  banana plugs are an option but would like to locate the 2 missing black caps is possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Davecv41 said:

Need a picture of these, if you can get one. I have drawers full of binding posts, some going back to the early 20th century. Most were designed for the end cap or nut to not come off. So picture, major diameter, and thread pitch, if you can get them.

 

heres a pic of the KG4 posts, sorry for the bad lighting, they are the same as many other smaller KG models & forte/chorus etc.  the posts have some type of retention to keep the caps on but they do come off without much effort, the reason mine are missing. ;)  diameter of the threaded post is ~.310 or 5/16" & looks to be fine thread pitch.  

IMG_8976.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

 

 cant find any original klipsch caps.  

-------you should be able to  unscrew the factory posts without drilling any holes ------- some of the aftermarkets  can take thicker gauge wire -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

-------you should be able to  unscrew the factory posts without drilling any holes ------- some of the aftermarkets  can take thicker gauge wire -

 

i was referring to the post about drilling holes to install new aftermarket posts.  the original posts are in good shape & these speakers dont need thicker gauge wire than will fit in the stock posts....  just hoping someone has a couple original black caps they dont need. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

 

i was referring to the post about drilling holes to install new aftermarket posts.  the original posts are in good shape & these speakers dont need thicker gauge wire than will fit in the stock posts....  juts hoping someone has a couple original black caps they dont need. 

These caps are not supposed to come off ,  once they do , the cap is damaged -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I double checked a lot of the binding posts I have, and none of them like the ones pictured have removable caps. I could likely force some off, but no guarantee getting them to go back on without stripping or cross threading either the post or the cap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

These caps are not supposed to come off ,  once they do , the cap is damaged -

 

5 minutes ago, Davecv41 said:

I double checked a lot of the binding posts I have, and none of them like the ones pictured have removable caps. I could likely force some off, but no guarantee getting them to go back on without stripping or cross threading either the post or the cap.

 

right, they are made to not come off, but i think if done carefully they are ok for a 1 time use.  one of the red caps on mine came off but still threaded back on ok,.  the black cap is about to strip the threads if tightened too much.  i realize that if i cant get lucky with some stock caps i will have to look into replacing the full post with new ones.  thanks for the info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

How many factory binding posts are you willing to possibly damage to get a usable cap? Wouldn't it be better to just get a single OEM post assembly and swap it out with the damaged one? They are very easy to remove & replace as a unit.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

heres a pic of the KG4 posts, sorry for the bad lighting,


Here you go. 🙂

 

CC55D9BA-518B-45CA-8449-0F5B60D6C596.thumb.jpeg.b2a0f70ba3db026225ab32af2d411a9b.jpeg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are them. The caps don't unscrew without enough effort to possibly damage them. Replacing the whole post would require removing the binding post cup, loosening the crossover, disconnecting the wires and removing the posts, no soldering required. That part's up to you. They're yours if you want them.

 

682960692_2020-07-2614_38_04.thumb.jpg.527e468373c9e907a92b620b315de0e7.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish all speakers had Neutrik speakOn connections. NEVER had one fail, can be connected and disconnected over and over and no worse for the wear. I modded my Klipschorns and did away with the binding posts entirely.

 

3EEBA26D-2419-4096-BC9B-EC64803D5957.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MechEngVic said:

These are them. The caps don't unscrew without enough effort to possibly damage them. Replacing the whole post would require removing the binding post cup, loosening the crossover, disconnecting the wires and removing the posts, no soldering required. That part's up to you. They're yours if you want them.

 

 

good man-----nothing to hard to do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ol_mcdonald said:

I wish all speakers had Neutrik speakOn connections. NEVER had one fail, can be connected and disconnected over and over and no worse for the wear. I modded my Klipschorns and did away with the binding posts entirely.

 

 

great idea ,  no more problems

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...