How to ship a Woofer?

I'm selling my RC-3 Woofers and crossover to buyer out of state (thus, shipping - probably Fedex) and would appreciate some advice on how to package them. Is it okay for the surround, for example, to rest flush against a surface? I'd like to avoid that, obviously, but the frame shape doesn't make it the easiest to make a spacer of some sort, nor do the box size options I've found locally thus far. I'm also including the Crossover and related parts in the package, probably in a separate small box.

Far as I can tell from Ebay, the well of older Klipsch parts has mostly dried up so I want to be diligent. Thanks for any suggestions

Woofers.jpg

If you could get some long bolts and tubular spacers, bolt them face to face with the spacers holding them apart.  Bubble wrap and double box.

Some of the big subwoofer drivers I've received from manufacturers were bolted to wooden legs and have makeshift wooden frames in the shape of a cube.  They were put in cardboard boxes then for shipping.  It all depends on how much time you want to put into packaging.

Package them so nothing can contact the cone or suspension.  Then, short the terminals so the voice coil and magnet act like a motor and resist motion when the shipping monkey tosses them into the truck. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Davecv41 said:

Loose analog meter movements are occasionally shipped with the terminals shorted, it prevents the needle from moving.

I understand the concept but have never thought to do that.  It's ingenious.  It reminds me of trailering a motorcycle and tying the front brake handle to the handlebar to keep the bike from moving.

• Like 1