Weird things you have seen during the outbreak

juniper

I suspect a really ugly market correction....but then I expected that before.....

Neighbor is a respiratory doctor.  I see her come and go to the hospital already masked, goggled, head wrapped turban style.  Looks home made, and we're not in a bad way here....yet.  I guess she's so used to wearing it all the time she goes ahead before leaving.  

It's only a couple of the most elderly who aren't masked in the stores.

Half the masked don't have it over their noses.  

I haven't had reason to be more than 5 miles from home in 4 months......bought gas twice maybe since early March.    

Longest stretch of home cooked food in my life probably.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

End it all, go about business as normal.

There is no shortage of people, take a chance, we could stand to lose a few.  

Or be paranoid and go nuts sitting at home and being stupid when in public like in that photo. It's your choice since it probably would not matter if you wear a mask or not, you do realize your sucking air from around the mask anyway, not all is going through it even if it were to filter out the virus.

If you have ever worn a mask including the N95  in dusty areas you know they only work slightly with the biggest particles, but go ahead.

Like in that picture with the plastic bags, pulled tightly would surely help some, and the last few minutes of that purple shade in the face looks cool, just go for it.

Don't be a sissy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dtel said:

Or be paranoid and go nuts sitting at home and being stupid when in public like in that photo. It's your choice since it probably would not matter if you wear a mask or not, you do realize your sucking air from around the mask anyway, not all is going through it even if it were to filter out the virus.

If you have ever worn a mask including the N95  in dusty areas you know they only work slightly with the biggest particles, but go ahead.

Like in that picture with the plastic bags, pulled tightly would surely help some, and the last few minutes of that purple shade in the face looks cool, just go for it.

Don't be a sissy 

And what did Christy say when you gave her that advice?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

She wouldn't let me put the plastic bag over her head, I asked. 

She is not happy about the mask thing where it's mandatory, thinks it's stupid, and she is at much higher risk than many. Although she doesn't like crowds which helps and hates going to the grocery. 

No one even knows if it does anything past particles becoming airborne if you cough or sneeze, does little for everyone around you besides that. If you have worn one long enough you know it's mostly BS.

Like in California, it's OK to protest and riot but please do not go to church, some of it has just gotten crazy. Also feel free to shoot up a few hundred of each other between a few cities each week, were not going to talk about that, it's normal, just wear the mask and your good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, dtel said:

Don't be a sissy 

You’re not serious are you?

• Haha 1

• Moderators

Yes, some of it, especially the plastic bag part.

Unless someone sneezes or coughs and has a mask on, after that there not to great at stopping much of anything, I think a paint fumes or dust particle is much bigger that a virus, and it only slightly works on the first two if it's fitting really well.  The biggest part of the mask thing is BS, makes people feel like there doing something as there touching many other things others have touched, grocery carts, doorknobs, handrails, grocery products, mail and a whole list of other stuff. But wear that mask and feel like your helping.

No basement here, can't hide anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Unless someone sneezes or coughs and has a mask on, after that there not to great at stopping much of anything, I think a paint fumes or dust particle is much bigger that a virus, and it only slightly works on the first two if it's fitting really well.  The biggest part of the mask thing is BS, makes people feel like there doing something as there touching many other things others have touched, grocery carts, doorknobs, handrails, grocery products, mail and a whole list of other stuff. But wear that mask and feel like your helping.

Keep in mind that the tiny viruses are unable to travel by themselves.  They have to hitch a ride on the much larger water droplets that leave our noses and mouths whenever we breathe or speak, and even more if we sing.  Non-medical masks don’t form a perfect seal against your face, but they still help protect you, and protect others from you, in the event that you happen to be one of those asymptomatic cases that feels and looks completely healthy, but can still spread the virus.

The percentage of folks wearing masks greatly changes how you (or me, in this case) feel about wearing a mask.  For example, our local Costco requires everyone to wear a mask inside the store.  The greeters at the door have boxes of masks to hand out to those who forgot to bring one with them.  I felt a little odd wearing a mask outside the store, but when I got inside and saw that about 95% of those in the store were wearing masks, it felt a lot more normal.  At that point, I would have felt underdressed without a mask.

It helps that now London Drugs has a big selection of masks in paper or cloth, in a big selection of colours, so you can still feel like an individual, and not like some kind of clone.  COVID-19 deaths across Canada at present are under 9,000, and are mostly concentrated in Ontario and Quebec.  COVID-related deaths in British Columbia, where I live, so far total 189.  I’m happy to wear a mask.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sancho Panza said:

MOPP 4 in effect until further notice.

Better use Combat NBC filters, and switch out at least every 72 hours; mopp suit, too.

You know the drill...

Maybe we have a few, just in case.

Would rather be on PCBeach lately.

Condo City anymore near the pier?

Most Beautiful place I been.

Worlds most beautiful beach award. Thanks!

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Islander said:

Keep in mind that the tiny viruses are unable to travel by themselves.  

True but particles they can travel on are still very small compared to what a mask can competently stop.

1 hour ago, Islander said:

Non-medical masks don’t form a perfect seal against your face,

Nor do most medical mask, even a class lll only does so much even with a perfect fit, shields are often used also. And there are very strict guidelines for handling and touching. Joe blow in a grocery store breaks 99.9% of the guidelines for them to be even moderately effective. 

A N95 is only rated to 3 microns although they can trap some smaller just by luck, the best medical mask is rated N95

I do not care if people wear mask or not, what is crazy is the false sense of security they have with a mask. Watch them,  touching the mask, adjusting it and touching everything around them and they think they are safer. If you want to wear one put it on correctly and don't touch it and anything else you absolutely have to, and constantly decontaminate your hands and stay away from people/crowds as much as possible if you want the slightest chance of being safe. If your worried

• Like 2

On a related topic, a friend explained to me why washing your hands with soap and water is so important.  Antibacterial chemicals have no effect on viruses, but plain soap does.  Here’s why:  viruses are protected by an outer layer of fat.  Soap breaks down fat (and grease, and so on), so it strips away the protective layer, killing the viruses, or more precisely, making them non-viable and harmless.

When people are confronted with a deadly threat, they want to do something serious to reduce the risk.  Being told to just wash your hands frequently with soap and water seems inadequate, and masks seemed kind of nerdy at first.  Thus the panic buying of toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and disinfectant. People wanted to regain the feeling of control over their lives that they normally have, to some degree at least.  Therefore, they bought large amounts of TP and other supplies, since it made them feel that they had protected themselves and their families against at least a hygiene problem and maybe a bit against the virus.  This does not apply to the profiteers, of course.  Some of those have tried to take some of the large amounts of supplies that they bought back to the stores,  only to have store managers laugh in their faces, in Australia, at least.  No sympathy for those leeches.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 7heavenlyplaces said:

Yes so all this is reasonable and fine, however;

is this PERCiEVED  pandemic enough to be a real and daily barrier to my food supply, as it has just now become in my state? The governor of this state, Steve Bullock, has just mandated masks everywhere public and therefore has impeded and denied my access to food. Like it or not, my free access to food is MUCH more important than public (poor) leadership and response to a secondary threat; covid. Look at the numbers and denying access to food as a response to "covid" is Crazy unacceptable!

The mandate here os now "You cannot enter a food-getting-place without a mask" ....  denial of free access to food.

I call bullshit on this.

So is the pandemic BS?  Over 140,000 Americans have lost their lives because of COVID19 this year, and it’s only July.  That’s not BS, that’s very sad truth.  You’re not being denied access to food.  Obviously, you can remove your mask while eating.  And when do restaurants give “free access” to their food?

Restaurants want to protect their staff and customers from a possibly deadly infection.  For that reason, many restaurants here are “take-out only” at present, especially the smaller restaurants where physical distancing is impractical.  Wearing a mask during a pandemic is a minor imposition, and it can save many lives.  Why not just grin and wear it?  It won’t be forever.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, 7heavenlyplaces said:

Yes, thank you for that.  Hasn't the flu killed many more, or abortion, or hospital-sourced infections.  WHY is this one gone so friggin crazy on my freedoms?  

There are and have been many many many more afflictions which do not impede nearly so many basic liberties.  Whats up with that?

Which basic liberties are being infringed upon?