bluetooth vs aux sound quality

I know the general consensus regarding wired vs bluetooth sound quality seems to always go to wired.  But with new codecs such as LDAC (990kbps @ 24bit/96kHz) it seems like BT should be really good.  I don't have a bluetooth device that supports LDAC or aptxHD at the moment, but I'm wondering how these two codecs would compare to wiring via aux 3.5mm.  Source will be tidal via an android phone.  

First of all, if you’re going to stream from Tidal, hopefully you’re not going to use your phone/Bluetooth as the “source”.

Even using a PC/browser will not allow you to stream the highest quality (hi-res) files from Tidal.

As far as Bluetooth streaming goes, in general, I’ve found that things have greatly improved the last few years. For instance, I used to use an AM/FM tuner which also has digital streaming capability. When listening to “FM” I now stream it rather than get the signal off-the-air via outdoor antenna. In the case of FM, I’m streaming via Wi-Fi to my phone (android), and the phone connects to the amplifier via Bluetooth. This is yielding better quality sound than using the separate tuner, connected to the amplifier digitally via optical Toslink, coax or traditional analog cables.

To get the best quality from sources like Tidal or Qobuz you really need to use an amplifier/receiver that can accept the stream directly (like BluOS). I use an Ethernet cable from the router plugged directly into the amplifier.

• Like 1

First of all, if you’re going to stream from Tidal, hopefully you’re not going to use your phone/Bluetooth as the “source”.

To get the best quality from sources like Tidal or Qobuz you really need to use an amplifier/receiver that can accept the stream directly (like BluOS). I use an Ethernet cable from the router plugged directly into the amplifier.

This system will be in a detached shop with no internet (wireless or wired). Most source will be from phono or CD. Just trying to find a decent way to get music from phone with no wifi.

So tidal from phone (aux or bt) will be compressed?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Bluetooth and sound quality probably shouldn’t appear in the same sentence together unless terrible is mentioned in there somewhere........

Shakey

Are the LDAC and aptxHD codecs included in that?  I haven't heard them myself, but the specs of the LDAC don't look terrible.  Compare the ldac bluetooth at 24 bit/96kHz to the typical CD rate 16 bit/44kHz.  So the LDAC bluetooth connection has a higher bit depth and a higher sample rate. 

So, If I could get a decent file on my phone, I should, in theory, be able to get decent playback.  That's what I'm hoping anyway.  

But, if I can't get a streaming service with decent files, I suppose none of this matters.  

7 hours ago, texasnavy05 said:

Are the LDAC and aptxHD codecs included in that?  I haven't heard them myself, but the specs of the LDAC don't look terrible.  Compare the ldac bluetooth at 24 bit/96kHz to the typical CD rate 16 bit/44kHz.  So the LDAC bluetooth connection has a higher bit depth and a higher sample rate. 

So, If I could get a decent file on my phone, I should, in theory, be able to get decent playback.  That's what I'm hoping anyway.  

But, if I can't get a streaming service with decent files, I suppose none of this matters.  

If you have a Tidal or Quobuz subscription you can always download files in lossless or hi res to your phone and stream it from there using a wired connection. I do this when I travel to someplace that doesn’t have WiFi. Use Bluetooth if you have to, if it’s just a garage system for background music you probably won’t notice the difference in sound quality.

Shakey

• Like 1