Stone soup

DizRotus

The built-in speaker in the small Hitachi TV in our kitchen developed an annoying buzz.  Alex Trebeck with a lisp is no good.

A solution seemed to be the DIY project speakers (shown below) sold by Amazon for less than $20.  What a major disappointment.  The ultimate SQ was horrible.  Even my wife said, “It sounds muffled.”  I ranted about the Amazon speakers in the thread below, so I’ll not repeat that here.

A solution for the solution seemed to be a pair of tiny Visaton drivers from Parts Express.  They sound way better than what came in the acrylics. This way I can still use the tiny chip amps built into each enclosure.  The Visaton drivers more than triple the cost of the project, before adding in the cost of glue and sealant needed to stabilize the acrylic enclosures.

My wife just shakes her head at the disassembly of the new project to invest even more time and money.  I had to remind her, it’s a hobby, not a business.  She admitted even she is growing more annoyed by the TV speaker’s buzz.  I’ll add some pics of the completed project.

292-640_ALT_0.jpg

224B67F0-EAF2-498C-A9EE-024B4FD7E497.jpeg

Now on to plan C.

Saving that crappy acrylic was a fool’s errand.  Despite being just the fool for the job, I elected to re-purpose a redundant Pono bamboo box.   The project is stalled due to much needed rain forcing me inside, as well as the need to go to my son’s house for some files with which to clean up the speaker cutouts.

image.jpg

Yes to drill press.  This method will work fine.  The box will be hidden by the TV.  It needs to function, not look pretty.

I probably should call this plan D, as I was intending to drill holes to act as grilles, but soon decided to remove the circles totally.