1980 Heresy HBR rebuild

JT-TX

Guys,

Recently picked up a pair of 1980 pair of Heresy HBR's. The 40yr old veneers were peeling badly, the tweeters were no longer working and one sub was out. I ordered diaphragms from Bob Crites and fixed the tweeters as well as a replacement 12" sub. I took the cabinets to a cabinet maker down the road. I had him re-veneeer both and add tilted risers. I think he did an AWESOME job. Now I just have to pick a stain. Not sure what other upgrades (caps on the drivers or A-55G replacments for the horns). Everything works as-is so maybe I'll just stain, reassemble and enjoy.

50134293372_316d77587b_h.jpg

Re-Veneered

50133511088_62d149a3e0_h.jpg

• Like 3

@JT-TX welcome to the forum, great work on the cabinets. You’ve fixed the real issues now it’s up to you as to how much to do. If you are happy with sound when you reassemble them, then you can leave them. Or, replace the capacitors... easy on an E crossover. Most of all enjoy them and thanks for taking care of some heritage speakers.

8 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Very nice!

Thanks

8 hours ago, MC39693 said:

@JT-TX welcome to the forum, great work on the cabinets. You’ve fixed the real issues now it’s up to you as to how much to do. If you are happy with sound when you reassemble them, then you can leave them. Or, replace the capacitors... easy on an E crossover. Most of all enjoy them and thanks for taking care of some heritage speakers.

Thanks. I think that's just what I'm going to do. It's nice that crites still has stuff to do so the repairs with.

@JT-TX I built new E crossovers with autotransformer from Mr. Crites, Erse inductor and Jantzen caps from Parts Express. You can start with just the caps, odds are autotransformer and inductor are fine. Enjoy the music!

please post pictures as you go, thanks again for keeping Heritage going.

13 hours ago, MC39693 said:

@JT-TX I built new E crossovers with autotransformer from Mr. Crites, Erse inductor and Jantzen caps from Parts Express. You can start with just the caps, odds are autotransformer and inductor are fine. Enjoy the music!

please post pictures as you go, thanks again for keeping Heritage going.

I just ordered Sonicaps and a pair of new rings for the squawkers from Crites yesterday. They should be here friday along with my (from amazon) new soldering iron, heat shrink tubes/sleeves and heat gun :) . I started staining today as well with Tung Oil. I think I'm going to do a 2nd application tomorrow, let it dry, sand it and apply a final layer Thursday or Friday. HOPEFULLY, this will be all that is needed.