The risks of reopening schools

tube fanatic

Homeschoolers aren't entirely immune from this problem either. We're part of a co-op that meets once a week for group learning and even there we're running into hurdles with universal policies and a very divisive split regarding what people are comfortable with. We're still navigating details before making a decision as a family.

• Like 3

I understand that many parents can't stay home to work with their kids, but even three hours a day of schooling at home works out to be about equal to being in a regular school setting.

There are pros and cons and all kinds of issues with that, of course, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. Home school associations should be stepping up to the plate to get info out to people about how they do it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marvel said:

Home school associations should be stepping up to the plate to get info out to people about how they do it.

I believe that's happening at a very rapid pace.  Home school is fine as long as one parent can stay home unfortunately there's a lot of single parent households.  There are also homes with both parents who are essential workers.  Day cares are another issue.  Many have closed.  Some parents can't afford them.

• Like 2

Part of the problem is parental focus. In our sphere of experience, there's at least one parent dedicated to homeschooling the kids. What we're seeing now is an influx of parents home with their kids, but glued to their laptops for the sake of work and appearing "present" to their employer, so they can't divert focus over to teaching their kids for any lengthy period of time each day.

We've had to isolate ourselves from my sister's family since sending their kiddo back to daycare last week. And if we decide to participate in weekly in-person instruction we will likely self-isolate from our parents as well in order to minimize risk of transmission.

34 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

In our sphere of experience, there's at least one parent dedicated to homeschooling the kids. What we're seeing now is an influx of parents home with their kids, but glued to their laptops for the sake of work and appearing "present" to their employer, so they can't divert focus over to teaching their kids for any lengthy period of time each day.

That's the problem. When we were schooling at home, my late wife was doing the teaching and didn't work outside the home. The work she did was part time doing proof reading for a publisher, so it was somewhat up to her to pace what she did.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

We will use this thread as an experiment, see if legitimate serious issue (with political under currentsc) can be discussed without politics.

Typically it goes for a posts and then a Mr. helper jumps in to point out the underlying political cause for the "problem."

This topic is clear, concise..what are they doing in schools in your area?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Don’t know where to post useful covid19 information..... so I’ll do it here for the time being (if that’s alright).

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-21/first-covid-vaccine-may-be-approved-in-2020-eu-regulator-says?utm_campaign=pol&utm_medium=bd&utm_source=applenews

Let's hold off on posting Covid info. (useful, I saw from previous thread,.is in eye of the beholder).

It something major breaks, major tx. study released, major vaccine study released. Put the specific topic Subject, people can view or pass. If it gets locked or hidden it is only on one limited topic. 

Moderators can also see if anyone in particular derails threads, and with what topics: Masks, faulty numbers,.politics, etc.

This might just be a matter staying on point.

• Like 1

We were fortunate in Wisconsin, in that the state wide home school association was based solely on how to educate your kids at home. There were members of all faiths, no faiths, all political persuasions, whatever. They worked hard to help families educate their kids in the best ways that worked for them.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Once again, the decisions being made around opening schools are founded in politics and not based in science and the current serious spike in cases.  Sure, I would love for my FOUR young grandkids to go back to school (who we take care of every day), but to me, it's like asking them to go out and stand in the middle of the street and see which drivers can avoid them.

If you actually think that a 5, 7, 8 or 9 year old is going to wear a mask all day, and keep 6 ft. from other kids all day, every day, you apparently have never had children.

So I'm not seeing this as "political", it is pointing out,.from his point of.view, decisions are being made based on politics but (to me) is neutral. Doesn't say who, where, which side.

I understand that because we know him, that we can guess who he.is talking about, but if you look at 4 corners of post not overtally political.

Does anyone see that differently, that this is "political", at least the first sentence?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Ahhhhhhhhhh.

Really? 

So is this political? Or just me? Isn't it guaranteed to.evoke a political response?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, pbphoto said:

I believe most schools should be open and there are ways to do it safely.  Unfortunately, here in Chicagoland, politics has entered the decision and teachers unions and administrators are going to keep things closed up while they all get their full salaries "teaching remotely" from their basements

Don't  see this as political either, it just points out the issue in that area has political undercurrents. Doesn't lay blame, point to one side or other.

Anyone see that differently?

• Like 1

NYC is allowing teachers 65 and older with underlying medical conditions to apply for remote teaching.  While this is admirable, it does not address the concerns of younger teachers who may have significant risk.  It also does not include teachers whose family members may be at high risk.  So far, NJ is not offering teachers a similar option.  

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/education/ny-teachers-medical-exemption-sick-family-members-20200720-he2ushqzd5hvhfswwrsdspruia-story.html

I just don’t know how any school system is going to balance the risk to benefit ratio.   

Thoughts appreciated.

Maynard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

We're part of a co-op

Is that a mandate in your area?  I believe my state has the option for Co-ops and hybrids, but isn't mandatory to home school. My state has seen a 20% increase for homeschool permits.  Some schools districts surrounding my school district are offering online style options, whereas my school district is going full time for anyone that doesn't have health concerns.  My son has an IEP and utilizes the resources when physically at school.  My fear is that these kids are going to be just passed to ease the situation, as they will not receive the attention they may need.  I pleading with my daughter to  graduate mid term, for some reason she believes there will still be some sort of social aspect to her senior year, I don't feel that is going to be the case. 

39 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Anyone see that differently?

those addicted to politics will see a political slant to any topic and far too often can't refrain from pointing it out.  naturally, those with opposing views feel compelled to chime in. even those with no political membership like myself grow tired of it and get involved by condemning those that keep reminding us of theirs. our worldview, political and religious, shape our beliefs and I don't see how you hope to have success eliminating it from forum discussions as they are a part of who we are. our worldview is at the base of our decisions and opinions which comes to light when we're asked to explain why we believe what we believe.  I'm not saying you should even try to purge this from the forum-- many are willing to communicate with some level of common decency while others refuse to -- therein lies the problem as evidenced many times on this forum.  

I would be surprised if anyone here claims that they can't identify when they or another member has become a jerk -- and many of us have at times. we also see when someone is trying to stir the pot by recreating locked threads or lame attempts at disguising a political message. it's been said many times that the better way is to deal directly with the offender vice painting with the wide brush of thread lock and/or the threat of eliminating the Lounge entirely. not dealing with a problem and being frustrated when it doesn't go away is ridiculous.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Is that a mandate in your area?  I believe my state has the option for Co-ops and hybrids, but isn't mandatory to home school. My state has seen a 20% increase for homeschool permits.  Some schools districts surrounding my school district are offering online style options, whereas my school district is going full time for anyone that doesn't have health concerns.  My son has an IEP and utilizes the resources when physically at school.  My fear is that these kids are going to be just passed to ease the situation, as they will not receive the attention they may need.  I pleading with my daughter to  graduate mid term, for some reason she believes there will still be some sort of social aspect to her senior year, I don't feel that is going to be the case. 

Nope, just something my wife wanted to pursue for a sense of community and to have some support outside the confines of our home. She's an RN by education and former career so while her aptitude is perfect for homeschooling our girls, her self confidence was shaken by not having a degree in education. Being part of a community where she could lean on others for help and to fill the skills gaps where needed was important, along with the social aspects for our kids. Now, this year, she's queued up to be on the teaching staff for the co-op - I'm really proud of her in this phase of our life together, and the impact she's having on our girls' future. We're the only homesteading family in the group, so we bring animals for show and tell, have an annual field trip to the farm, etc.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Obviously we're not talking about keeping kids home forever.  But how about we all do our part in the short term to get this crisis under control as best we can.  Perhaps then when science, and not "the P word" offers a possible solution we can begin to feel more comfortable.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

See I told you it would evoke a political response.

It will almosts certainly go downhill from here, and not necessarily by the two who posted the initial p word comment, and the response. There are plenty of people to carry on with it.

This is clearly a topic of serious interest to forum members, people homeschool, have children,.grandchildren at home,  trying to figure out what to do.

Or is the first post fine, and only the response inappropriate? Or is it a matter of who is posting and when?