The risks of reopening schools

tube fanatic

13 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

See I told you it would evoke a political response.

It will almosts certainly go downhill from here, and not necessarily by the two who posted the initial p word comment, and the response. There are plenty of people to carry on with it.

This is clearly a topic of serious interest to forum members, people homeschool, have children,.grandchildren at home,  trying to figure out what to do.

Or is the first post fine, and only the response inappropriate? Or is it a matter of who is posting and when? 

I think you're making it worse and none of us currently have any real issue with what's been posted.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

I have not been posting much lately, but this morning I did read into a couple of other threads that must have some posts that are hidden. If you feel that I have posted something or said something that is wrong, I didn't mean to and you are very welcome to point it out and I will edit it out.... stirring a pot that was stewing was not my intentions. 

3 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I think you're making it worse and none of us currently have any real issue with what's been posted.

I am wondering where he is coming from with his POV. I think it's a good topic. My kids are out on their own, but i was a single parent for many years, so I feel for the ones who are still having to deal with it. 

• Like 1

Students here are to be given Chromebooks. In a "blended learning" option, they use Google Classroom in a classroom with teacher guidance. This allows for an easier transition if campuses must close. Those choosing the at-home option will use Google Classroom for instruction. If you want to read specifics, you can check out the 71730 school district website.

SSH

3 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I am wondering where he is coming from with his POV

You said that you haven't posting much lately.  I'm going to assume that you haven't been reading many posts either.  There have been a lot of hidden posts (one whole thread) and a couple locked ones.  I can only surmise that "where he's coming from" is directly related to what he's been dealing with the last day or two.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

those addicted to politics will see a political slant to any topic and far too often can't refrain from pointing it out.  naturally, those with opposing views feel compelled to chime in. even those with no political membership like myself grow tired of it and get involved by condemning those that keep reminding us of theirs. our worldview, political and religious, shape our beliefs and I don't see how you hope to have success eliminating it from forum discussions as they are a part of who we are. our worldview is at the base of our decisions and opinions which comes to light when we're asked to explain why we believe what we believe.  I'm not saying you should even try to purge this from the forum-- many are willing to communicate with some level of common decency while others refuse to -- therein lies the problem as evidenced many times on this forum.  

I would be surprised if anyone here claims that they can't identify when they or another member has become a jerk -- and many of us have at times. we also see when someone is trying to stir the pot by recreating locked threads or lame attempts at disguising a political message. it's been said many times that the better way is to deal directly with the offender vice painting with the wide brush of thread lock and/or the threat of eliminating the Lounge entirely. not dealing with a problem and being frustrated when it doesn't go away is ridiculous.  

Those are all valid points.

So who is/are the offenders in this instance, use 1st or 2nd instead of names, we will keep personalitys out of it. 1st one that made P comment, or 2nd one that responded to P comment? Or neither is offender, and let it go for awhile?

Anyone who wants to offer opinion is welcome, this is entirely hypothetical exercise so don't worry about it. 

In an ideal world, someone is watching as it progresses and a moderator could simply post something in the thread, no warning, no reminder, simply presence, and it sometimes can bring it back on track. Other times it takes more. But that's rare, usually a thread has wound it's way to wherever and it takes forever to sort out who/what happened when making it hard to address individual offender rather than entire thread. 

If you reposted this identical post at 7pm it would take a different route, different members involved, etc. Every thread that is controversial, whether it be capacitors, or cables, or Covid, takes on a life of it's own, but they usually get to the same place.

There was a study, about 10 years ago, Princeton and Facebook, about how feedback is contagious and spurs on certain types of posts, discourages other posts. There are many layers of group dynamics at play on a forum.

I liked this comment:

"I would be surprised if anyone here claims that they can't identify when they or another member has become a jerk -- and many of us have at times. we also see when someone is trying to stir the pot by recreating locked threads or lame attempts at disguising a political message."

That is 100% true. However, depending on who posts what when, you can have two very reasonable people look at the same sequence of posts and reach completely different conclusions as to whether it is political, if it was political is there an offense, who committed an offense, if an offense what needs to be done, if anything, etc., etc.

5 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

So who is/are the offenders in this instance, use 1st or 2nd instead of names, we will keep personalitys out of it. 1st one that made P comment, or 2nd one that responded to P comment? Or neither is offender, and let it go for awhile?

Were either of them deemed derogatory?  I think that's where sides get drawn and opinions start being posted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Anyone who wants to offer opinion is welcome, this is entirely hypothetical exercise so don't worry about it. 

Hypothetical?  Are you serious?  Asking people to point out specific offenders is hypothetical?  Wow.  Why don't you just create a poll?  That might be easier.

7 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

You said that you haven't posting much lately.  I'm going to assume that you haven't been reading many posts either.  There have been a lot of hidden posts (one whole thread) and a couple locked ones.  I can only surmise that "where he's coming from" is directly related to what he's been dealing with the last day or two.

Yeah, I just now seen the train wreck in the C19 thread. I hadn't posted in there for a while, either. Seems that if someone has a different pov, there are a few who pounce with belittling statements. It gets old and I have other things to do. 

7 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Yeah, I just now seen the train wreck in the C19 thread. I hadn't posted in there for a while, either. Seems that if someone has a different pov, there are a few who pounce with belittling statements. It gets old and I have other things to do. 

Maybe you missed the butt plug meme.  It wasn't his first blatantly extremist post either.  The same guy then says he comes here to get away from politics.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Couldn't agree more.  Dissecting every post and actively looking for any inkling of dissent is counterproductive.  

So it serves no useful purpose to take this as an example for moderators and members to see things from different points of view to gain a better understanding of how things appear?

So, I guess people could conclude that the 2nd P Word post wasn't a natural response to the 1st P Word post. It was an opportunity to slide in a political shot, unprovoked in any way? Believe it or not, some members would take that view. Some would take the view that doing nothing on second post is playing favorites or a blind eye to that poster. Others would say it's playing favorites to the person who makes the first post.

3 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

So it serves no useful purpose to take this as an example for moderators and members to see things from different points of view to gain a better understanding of how things appear?

So, I guess people could conclude that the 2nd P Word post wasn't a natural response to the 1st P Word post. It was an opportunity to slide in a political shot, unprovoked in any way? Believe it or not, some members would take that view. Some would take the view that doing nothing on second post is playing favorites or a blind eye to that poster. Others would say it's playing favorites to the person who makes the first post.

Well said.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Were either of them deemed derogatory?  I think that's where sides get drawn and opinions start being posted.

Derogatory to the other poster? Or derogatory toward the political figure, i.e. "the P."

Neither the 1st or 2nd poster were derogatory towards the other in my view. The first post wasn't derogatory towards the P, merely mentioned that the P could be brought up. (Context is thread asking what schools are doing in your area). 2nd post quotes first P posts, and say P needs to stay out of decisions. Not directly derogatory, but fair implication might be that P, to date, hasn't done well on overall problem. Some could,  and have,  interpreted it as derogatory of the P.

But is it political? I predicted the 1st post would provoke a response, and it did. (As @BigStewMan pointed out, it doesn't take a genius to spot this). If we continue to wait until they go down in flames, well that doesn't bode well. Some have suggested, in this thread, and many others, don't smash the thread because of a few.bad apples, deal with offenders.

Or does it need to be derogatory to reach level of it being an issue? 

Hey never mind @CECAA850 this is all your fault anyway, we had you to follow all of this in real time. Now no time to do that.