The risks of reopening schools

tube fanatic

8 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Or does it need to be derogatory to reach level of it being an issue? 

I used to get bitched at because I locked threads because I knew where they were going.  The thing is, it's so predictable.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I think you're making it worse and none of us currently have any real issue with what's been posted.

Not the issue, if you or others have an issue is it?

Issue is if, and when, it becomes political, but you know that, you mentioned the concern earlier in the day today.

Post below is part.of the issue. Mallett posted major warning last.week (can't find it right now). 

25 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

So, I guess people could conclude that the 2nd P Word post wasn't a natural response to the 1st P Word post. It was an opportunity to slide in a political shot, unprovoked in any way?

My first two entries were addressing the concerns that were mentioned. My third entry was where I used "the P word" in hopes to keep political statements out, not to "slide in a political shot."
As I stated, if there is something that I said that is political, point it out so I can remove it. 

We are on page 4 and less than one page needed to discuss the OP's topic. 

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

You said that you haven't posting much lately.  I'm going to assume that you haven't been reading many posts either.  There have been a lot of hidden posts (one whole thread) and a couple locked ones.  I can only surmise that "where he's coming from" is directly related to what he's been dealing with the last day or two.

Yes that is correct. 

It is a very serious topic, but so were the 3 Covid topics that all went political, spurred many, many complaints, and prompted this from Dtel.

I think I.got the info I was.looking for, proceed on home schooling, whether to return kids to school, not. We have been sweating it for last 3 weeks, I know it weighs on a lot of people.

4 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

I think I.got the info I was.looking for, proceed on home schooling, whether to return kids to school, not. We have been sweating it for last 3 weeks, I know it weighs on a lot of people.

At least it didn't go political.

1 hour ago, dwilawyer said:

So who is/are the offenders in this instance, use 1st or 2nd instead of names, we will keep personalitys out of it. 1st one that made P comment, or 2nd one that responded to P comment? Or neither is offender, and let it go for awhile?

Anyone who wants to offer opinion is welcome, this is entirely hypothetical exercise so don't worry about it. 

Not going to do that and think it was a bad idea. Collectively, we're not stupid and will likely know who the hypothetical person would be in someone's post -- that solves nothing. Those that choose to communicate as a jerk know when they're doing it and so do the readers. Just last night, I misinterpreted something you wrote and then when you explained, I had to embarrass myself and apologize and I removed what I wrote. My point is that we all know when we've jumped to a conclusion, we all know that we're capable of being wrong, and we all know when we've said something with the intent to insult. There is no mystery to be solved here. 

I think the focus is misdirected. It's not the subject matter that any moderator or Klipsch should be worried about ... it's the behavior of those that continually resort to ad hominem attacks. Why focus on the former when the obvious problem is the latter?

I don't think that my statement should change regardless of the topic, time of day, or who are currently posting. Common decency is common decency.  I don't think moderators should take it upon themselves to determine that someone be banned, that should be a collective decision by as many moderators as are available to avoid one moderator from misinterpreting the message of a post. A Lone Ranger as a moderator will be just as bad as a jerk poster. I'd would rather the moderators and administrator work the known problem and I don't think that has been done; therefore Klipsch going into Launch Mode on this matter is premature. 

That concludes my rant on this matter. 

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

My first two entries were addressing the concerns that were mentioned. My third entry was where I used "the P word" in hopes to keep political statements out, not to "slide in a political shot."
As I stated, if there is something that I said that is political, point it out so I can remove it. 

We are on page 4 and less than one page needed to discuss the OP's topic. 

That wasn't directed at you, you are 1st P poster, other person is the 2nd P poster. You don't have to explain or defend your position in any way, it was just an experiment.

Post: What are they doing to schools in your area because of Covid?

Observation that decisions are being made based on politics.

Observation made that hopefully people can leave the P out of discussion.(I think that's fair paraphrasing, but doesn't really matter)

Observation made that hopefully they will leave P out of making decisions 

That's on first page, maybe on start of page 2, before I ever came in. I started with original post and commented in order on anything I thought was noteworthy re: politics in threads.and asking for feedback.

Like I said, I got info and feedback I was looking for. You all carry on the discussion of the OP.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

And now, a reading from the book of the holy hand grenade....

It is hard being an engineer in a pandemic when problem solving strategies and critical thinking are lacking in some. Like the MP.

My wife is a 25 year educator, wife of 38 years with a long list of math and science degrees a few classes short of her doctorate.3.94 GPA

Her greatest concerns are in a few bullets:

-increased risk of suicide

-increased difficulty with sociopathic students

-in home parental abuse

My wife's' father was very physically abusive, she is certain his behavior would have been severely worse in these conditions

- Severe at risk kids (fetal alcohol syndrome, prenatal drug abuse, autism, downs syndrome, and others) never will recover 

Our two adult sons are severely dyslexic / dysgraphic.

Two dysfunctional years back to back is a huge concern  on many levels for educators, including their own health. Multiple contingent action plans.

Her district is very rural mid michigan with a poverty rate of 63% in recent years. Hard telling what it is now.

Every family in every county needs to be patient and make good local choices dependent on the very diverse variables as they keep changing day to day and week to week. 

• Like 4