The risks of reopening schools

tube fanatic

55 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

You ever wear a mask for 8 hours?

Yes, I have!  And it was while working in a hot attic in the spring.  

My point here is that the guy was breathing all over his hands and then touching merchandise as well as money and the receipt.  That puts the customer and himself at greater risk.   Employers should give their people frequent mask breaks to alleviate their discomfort.   There’s also the issue that freely breathing discharges huge amounts of virus into the air.  It isn’t just droplets that are of concern.  Just  my take on the situation.  

Maynard

10 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

Yes, I have!  And it was while working in a hot attic in the spring.  

So you were protecting yourself for a day or so from fiberglass particles being inhaled.  I'm sure you pulled it down a time or three to wipe sweat.  Your concern was your safety at that point.  I've done the same.  I still can't imagine having to wear one 8 hours a day for weeks on end.  I'm not defending his actions but see why he might do it.  I think your idea of frequent mask breaks has merit.  I doubt many companies are doing that though.

NJ teachers are becoming increasingly concerned about returning to school for many reasons including lack of PPE.  The local district, with 3700 kids in 6 schools,  has only been able to obtain thermometers.  Everything else is on order with no specified delivery date.  What’s going on with this in the rest of the country?

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/07/anything-feels-safer-than-going-to-my-school-nj-teachers-fear-returning-to-the-classroom-this-fall.html

Maynard

Here is another reason that school reopening may be dangerous:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2020/07/31/new-evidence-suggests-young-children-spread-covid-19-more-efficiently-than-adults/#106caec619fd

Even Fauci admitted during a virtual town hall meeting the other day that opening schools may have a degree of risk but that it will serve to generate data about spread of the virus.  Do you want your kids or grandkids to be part of a lab experiment?

Maynard

Kids are super low risk.  In Chicago, kids under 18 are much more likely to be shot than die from covid.  Not every kid has a cozy home with great internet to take "remote classes."  Get the kids back to school and protect the vulnerable: elderly and those with existing health issues (weight, heart, lung problems.)  The data on this are very clear.

On 7/31/2020 at 9:52 AM, CECAA850 said:

So you were protecting yourself for a day or so from fiberglass particles being inhaled.  I'm sure you pulled it down a time or three to wipe sweat.  Your concern was your safety at that point.  I've done the same.  I still can't imagine having to wear one 8 hours a day for weeks on end.  I'm not defending his actions but see why he might do it.  I think your idea of frequent mask breaks has merit.  I doubt many companies are doing that though.

Solved it -   when I cant take the mask any  more , the shield comes on  , 

Does a plastic face shield protect you and others as well as a mask?

https://www.sfgate.com/science/article/Can-a-plastic-face-shield-protect-you-and-others-15447416.php

41 minutes ago, pbphoto said:

Kids are super low risk.  In Chicago, kids under 18 are much more likely to be shot than die from covid.

Yes but kids don't live in the void. They have parents and grandparents. And if kid has no symptoms but is sick he or his family don't even know that they need to be extracarefull to no to pass infection to other family member.

2 hours ago, Bacek said:

Yes but kids don't live in the void. They have parents and grandparents. And if kid has no symptoms but is sick he or his family don't even know that they need to be extracarefull to no to pass infection to other family member.

That's correct - that's why I said: protect the vulnerable: elderly and those with existing health issues (weight, heart, lung problems.). This can be done with some creative thinking and is no excuse for keeping kids out of school.

More reason to be concerned about schools opening:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/within-11-days-schools-opening-191000276.html

Our local district has not disclosed what they will do if anyone tests positive.  They are relying on parents signing in to a web site everyday to state that their child is healthy.  From experience my wife knows, as a retired teacher, that parents are not always truthful.

Maynard

That's a horrible article.  Of course when schools open up, cases will increase, and, of course, the media will jump all over it.  Anybody who sets the expectation that there will not be any cases in schools, nor have a plan for when it happens, is doing their community a disservice.  Schools should plan on kids getting sick and not panic and pull the plug when it does happen.  I think this can be done safely and smartly.

4 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

More reason to be concerned about schools opening:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/within-11-days-schools-opening-191000276.html

Our local district has not disclosed what they will do if anyone tests positive.  They are relying on parents signing in to a web site everyday to state that their child is healthy.  From experience my wife knows, as a retired teacher, that parents are not always truthful.

Maynard

We have kids--they are home schooled -until  vaccines are trust worthy , the kids are staying home 

Personally, if I had school age kids I would keep them home.  In normal times my wife’s class experienced colds, bronchitis, strep throat, ear/sinus  infections, stomach viruses, and other nasties by the 3rd week of school.  Some kind of protocol has to be created to differentiate other fever causing illnesses from this coronavirus.   Listening to the school board meetings about this via Zoom has not left parents with a good feeling about ensuring safety.  

Maynard

Everybody needs to make their own decisions, agreed.  In my case, I want my kids back in school full time.  I believe the data so far supports doing this safely.  When listening to the school board and you realize how ill-equipped they are to be making these decisions, and they are putting together plans that are guaranteed to fail.  I certainly don't fault them - this is everyone's first global pandemic.  In Chicagoland, most public schools (outside of the CTU) are offering a choice between two bad options: remote learning or hybrid learning.  Private schools are opening in larger numbers, and their enrollment is up big time, as is home schooling I suspect.

28 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

my wife’s class experienced colds, bronchitis, strep throat, ear/sinus  infections, stomach viruses, and other nasties by the 3rd week of school.

poor Teachers , they must be  superhuman