Rags to Riches

HPower

Back at the end of 2018 I took a flyer on a pair of very beat up La Scalas that I came across on CAM that were somewhat local to me.

When I first saw them I really was not sure if I wanted to tackle them, even at the price.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649485658-klipsch-la-scala-speakers/

I didn't even check to see if they played, the drivers and Xovers were the least of the worries for this ugly ducklings!

IMG_0897_sm.thumb.jpg.58cc3cfef587565291c4413d84cb90ea.jpg

IMG_0901_sm.thumb.jpg.193397092c05f4ea04bf90c8b2edc925.jpg

Once I got them home, I fired them up in the garage and after fiddling with the Xover connections, I got them to play and they didn't sound all that bad.

They still looked awful so I then went to scrapping off all the crappy vinyl peel and stick that some genius decided to apply to them.

This revealed a very poor exterior, major chips and missing part of the top layer the Birch.

That's how they sat in my basement TV room, playing fine until a few month ago when I dragged them out to the garage to do a refurbish job.

Fortunately this February I scored a pair of all original, minty Type AAs on Cam for $150cnd.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649590390-klipsch-type-aa-crossovers/

I do have a pair of Jupiters and a quad of Blue Cactus caps sitting here with plans of a pair of Full Monty networks, but have not followed up on that yet.

Rather than try to fill all the numerous blemishes I decided to do similar that I did with my Peavey FH-1 bins and laminate the exterior with 1/2 BB via screws and PL.

Unlike the FH-1s, I decided to give them more of an Industrial look, even got some handles and then replica badges from Burton on FleaBay.

And, here they are...

IMG_2078.thumb.jpg.ba75b8729bcd62c7bae3d3ef27ffc5cc.jpg

IMG_2077.thumb.jpg.ff1dc0396342e254960b684d8536e617.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Geoff, 

When I started writing my above "brag post", I realized it actually took me over 2 years to get there. 🤔

If they didn't play when I got them, it might have motivated me a little more but I was content to listen rather than look at them.

Now I can do both. 🤓

• Like 1

Oh they’re sharp looking alright.

AND you’ve stiffened up the bass bin, nice.

Time flies when you’re having fun!

Something occurred to me recently, the T3A autoformer in the AL crossover could be used in a modified AA, with the midrange attenuation some on here have preferred. So the AL crossover may not be a complete bust.

So are these going in the kitchen, or the ensuite bathroom? 

1 hour ago, HPower said:

laminate the exterior with 1/2 BB via screws and PL.

IMG_2078.thumb.jpg.ba75b8729bcd62c7bae3d3ef27ffc5cc.jpg

IMG_2077.thumb.jpg.ff1dc0396342e254960b684d8536e617.jpg

I like the rounded edges ( how did you do that ? so neatly)   and the stance looks wider   , did you do the top as well  -    what is the coating you put on  - it spread very well

20 minutes ago, geoff. said:

So are these going in the kitchen, or the ensuite bathroom? 

The ALs have long since made their way to the Georgina Transfer Station.

The were pretty cruddy 😷, the AAs I got lived their whole life inside a pair of inclosed Industrials.

They might spend the rest of the summer in the garage and then make the odd  appearance out by the pool for social distancing BBQ'ing.
I do want to hear them in an outdoor setting, with a little power behind them. Emoji

Then, they will probably make their way back down to the basement in the TV room.
I have a very nice looking Sansui AU-717 down in Ottawa with LeeStereo (Audiokarma) getting a full restore/upgrade that will be driving the LSs once back in the basement.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

I like the rounded edges ( how did you do that ? so neatly)   and the stance looks wider   , did you do the top as well  -    what is the coating you put on  - it spread very well

Thanks Randy!

With the 1/2in BB laminated to the top, bottom, and both sides, they are only 1 inch wider and 1 inch taller.

As Geoff mentions, should give the cabinets a little more integrity as well as a clean surface to work with.

Carl had suggested on one of my sub builds to use a 3/16in round over with the router, which is were I started on all the edges and squawker and tweeter cut outs.

IMHO, with the now 1.25in thickness of the outer panels, it seemed that 3/16in was not enough round over so I then redid the edged with a 3/8in bit.

I left the horn cut outs at 3/16in.

The coating is Duartex mixed with 5% water and rolled on with the Duartex roller.

It did turn out nice and smooth, but it was so humid up here at the time, I had a couple sweat droplets from by bald forehead drop on as I was working

so I may give them a light sanding and cover them again.

When it is not so bloody hot. 😰

• Like 2

@HPower, great job. There were a pair of similarly beat up LS out here, maybe a bit nicer for $900. I just couldn’t get there, hummed and hawed and they were gone before I could decide. I’m not in you class of workmanship, but my sons in law might have gotten them to that level... my loss. Hope they make the pool even more fun in the hot Ontario summer.

2 minutes ago, HPower said:

I started on all the edges and squawker and tweeter cut outs.

IMHO, with the now 1.25in thickness of the outer panels, it seemed that 3/16in was not enough round over so I then redid the edged with a 3/8in bit.

I left the horn cut outs at 3/16in.

😰

rounding the edges takes 30 years off of the Scala -and the LSi badges are very appropriate - great job -

3 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

@HPower, great job. There were a pair of similarly beat up LS out here, maybe a bit nicer for $900. I just couldn’t get there, hummed and hawed and they were gone before I could decide. I’m not in you class of workmanship, but my sons in law might have gotten them to that level... my loss. Hope they make the pool even more fun in the hot Ontario summer.

take your time -  more will come around -

16 hours ago, HPower said:

Unlike the FH-1s, I decided to give them more of an Industrial look, even got some handles and then replica badges from Burton on FleaBay.

And, here they are...

So how do they SOUND versus the FH-1's?

18 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

So how do they SOUND versus the FH-1's?

Hey Claude,

That's hard to say.

I have only had them in the same room once and with my FH-1 playing with the 402s vs the LSs with their stock squawker/tweeter... very different.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HPower said:

Hey Claude,

That's hard to say.

I have only had them in the same room once and with my FH-1 playing with the 402s vs the LSs with their stock squawker/tweeter... very different.

No kidding. You KNOW the FH-1 bass bin is smoother and goes 10-15 Hz. lower than a LaScala because it's a longer horn. I'm about to do the same to mine when I do a 2 channel downstairs in my workout room. Working my way to a BMS driver with built in super tweeter, so it will be an active 3 way with mono sub.

Which woofer are you using in your FH-1's? Also, you may want to think about building a pair of my Quarter Pie Horns and enjoy some REAL BASS DETAIL!

Claude,

When Chris and I last spoke, he got me very interested in getting a pair of BMS 4592NDs for the 402s / FH-1s!!!

That would be my most logical move to try to improve what is already very good, to my ears.

Now that my LSs are nicely refurbished, I can think more about building 4 of those LAB12TH subs to spread around the 2channel room with the 402s / FH-1s.

My 4 drivers are just sitting here collecting dust. 😳

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HPower said:

Claude,

When Chris and I last spoke, he got me very interested in getting a pair of BMS 4592NDs for the 402s / FH-1s!!!

That would be my most logical move to try to improve what is already very good, to my ears.

Now that my LSs are nicely refurbished, I can think more about building 4 of those LAB12TH subs to spread around the 2channel room with the 402s / FH-1s.

My 4 drivers are just sitting here collecting dust. 😳

Oak 3/4 plywood is cheap and easy. You can push lab 12 tapped horn to 80 hz.