Matching 1957 Khorns

MacMan

I have a pair of 1957 khorns that have matching serial # 1182 and 1183. For there age I would rate them as very good with minor blemish here and there (odd scratch and veneer stripping off the corners of bottom trim) 

sonically they sound very good

Is there a lot of value since they are matching #’s

Thanks 

MacMan

2 hours ago, MacMan said:

I have a pair of 1957 khorns that have matching serial # 1182 and 1183. For there age I would rate them as very good with minor blemish here and there (odd scratch and veneer stripping off the corners of bottom trim) 

sonically they sound very good

Is there a lot of value since they are matching #’s

Thanks 

MacMan

you have to name your price ---

7 hours ago, Budman said:

congrats on owning a set of k-horns from 1957

Thanks Budman

using them as rears and 1972 khorns for fronts. Chorus I for sides

Quite remarkable that these 1957 khorns were obtained separately hundreds of miles apart and they ended up being matching serial #’s

The 57 may not be extra special, but it certainly is very very desirable. In effect when someone buys these, they're buying 60-70 yr old works of art.

The drivers, crossover etc etc are all secondary. Woofer are under 300 a pair, tweeter diaphragms and mid diaphragms are also pretty cheap, XO's are more work than $$$ but 200-300 will leave you with new caps and the old hand wound inductors are absolutely awesome.

Effectively, the cabinets, condition and look and the buyers preference are what determine the $$. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

Away at work. Will send some pics in next day or so

I would think that matching serial #’s would add to value as well?

Not that I am interested in selling them but was more curious as to the value

Pics to follow......

6 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Getting really technical here but if they did sell matched pairs back then the pairs would have been 1181 with 1182 and 1183 with 1184.

Yep. Pretty technical.....let me reword it as consecutive serial #’s. Thanks for the info. though

They all very well could and likely were sold as singles, however to purchase these 60 years after manufacture date and from 2 different people, over a year apart of me purchasing  and some 400 miles apart was in mind truly amazing that they were consecutive serial #’s

Thanks again for your information wuzzer 
Cheers,

• Like 3

A couple of interesting points  may be being missed here -- what drivers do they have, and are they matched?  A lot of funny things can happen with switching out drivers over a 50-60 year period!  I suggest you especially see what your bass drivers are,  If you are lucky, you may have a pr. of EV 15 WK's, as fine a bass driver as was ever made.  You may have a pr of University SAHF's, a smooth and good-sounding match.  Don't start running off to replace with current non-Klipsch drivers until you're sure you've looked into what you're doing.

Larry

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LarryC said:

A couple of interesting points  may be being missed here -- what drivers do they have, and are they matched?  A lot of funny things can happen with switching out drivers over a 50-60 year period!  I suggest you especially see what your bass drivers are,  If you are lucky, you may have a pr. of EV 15 WK's, as fine a bass driver as was ever made.  You may have a pr of University SAHF's, a smooth and good-sounding match.  Don't start running off to replace with current non-Klipsch drivers until you're sure you've looked into what you're doing.

Larry

Very interesting point Larry.

I will check and advise of driver, mid range and tweeter types and #’s and also send some pics as requested by HanksJim1 

MacMan 

• Like 1