Wannabe La Scala Owner Dilemma...

boleiro

really want to get me some La Scala's after a very enjoyable stint with some new to me Heresy II's.  New LS's are out of the question for the near future after recently moving into a new house.  So used is the only way it will happen.  Looking around, it can be tough to find used LS's for sale where the seller is willing to ship, understandably.  And here in Salt Lake City it is a Klipsch Heritage wasteland.... nothing.  So, I can go about it 2 ways and I'm hoping the forum experience will help me decide which is best.

Option 1: found a seller that will ship a SINGLE "LS-BLS W/S".  It works great, per the seller, and appears to be in great shape....  love the aesthetic of these!  $1500 shipped.  Excited about this as it would look great in my new place.  However, I fear the possibility that I wait forever for a viable match either locally or another single that the seller will ship.  Could be a long long while!

Option 2: plenty of the ugly (sorry for those that might be into them) Industrial La Scala's to be had for cheap.  However, to get them show room ready, it would be a project.  I'm always up for a project, but hopefully it isn't a huge undertaking to get them stripped stained and refinished.  And not sure if even a fantastic finish on an industrial will be anything close to a "normal" La Scala.  

for those of you that might have some experience in either option, I would love to hear your take?

thank you!

What if instead, you hired a local wood worker type....and have a pair built.  Make them out of something pretty and instead of putting all three drivers in them, make them 2-way and build in the 2" throat K510.

It will improve the sound over the stock version but, might require that you go active (which to me is worth it)

Or, if you have the room, get the much better (and much larger) K402.  This setup (both) will easily surpass the stock version if you can deal with how they look AND, it's still 100% Klipsch.

JubLSI.jpg

2jubscala.jpg

• Like 3

Hello, both of those options are not even viable.

A third option is to be able to buy a pair of LS and go get them or meet halfway. This will require looking for them at several different sources.

It is not acceptable from my pov

to spend that much without demoing them.

Also, not worth the time or effort to Chang e industrial LS to try to please someone else who may

not be pleased anyway. The come up but, must be ready. What speakers do you have now?

Thanks

• Like 3

Seems like building them from scratch then dishing out what it costs for K-510 and, even pricier, the K-402's (and drivers) then having to bi-amp, get a crossover, tinker, tune, etc., etc., would start putting you in the ball park for newer LS II's somewhere.  Building a set of regular version LS's would be a tad easier as most of the parts are accessible in some fashion.  I build a pair of Belle inspired clones that are true to the "design" and use new OEM Klipsch K-33 woofers and OEM K-500 mid horns but then have Crites mids and tweeters.  They look and sound great and I don't really care about resale value anyway.

Prices of used LS's are all over the place now.  Just like the rest of them.

1 hour ago, billybob said:

A third option is to be able to buy a pair of LS and go get them or meet halfway. This will require looking for them at several different sources.

thanks billybob, my gut agrees with what you said and maybe my post was a call for some common sense.  what sources do you frequent when looking for specific equipment?  I've been doing the obvious ebay search, craigslist and US Audio Mart with zero luck.  Not used to not finding any offerings!  Used LS's are a rare bird.  Which is why I started looking at the listed options again my better judgement.  As for my speakers, nothing audiophile, but I have been rotating through these speakers for several years... Boston A150's, ADS L710's, KEF LS50 and most recently I have been into my Heresy II's with crites caps kit and Ti tweeter Diaphragms.  Sold the KEF's recently to fund a tube amp... I'm more of a vintage guy.

Or, if you have the room, get the much better (and much larger) K402.

Hey Coytee... I've never seen a K402 before your post but it looks like the JBL 3722N's I was just looking at that are available locally for only $500 a pair.  Not sure how they are for music.  The La Scala's are for a 2 channel stereo, music only set up.  Basically this is first time in my life I will have a dedicated listening room.  So wanted to get something crazy like the La Scala and I kept seeing all these cinema speakers in my search for big horns.  

1 hour ago, avguytx said:

Seems like building them from scratch then dishing out what it costs for K-510 and, even pricier, the K-402's (and drivers) then having to bi-amp, get a crossover, tinker, tune, etc., etc., would start putting you in the ball park for newer LS II's somewhere.  Building a set of regular version LS's would be a tad easier as most of the parts are accessible in some fashion.  I build a pair of Belle inspired clones that are true to the "design" and use new OEM Klipsch K-33 woofers and OEM K-500 mid horns but then have Crites mids and tweeters.  They look and sound great and I don't really care about resale value anyway.

Prices of used LS's are all over the place now.  Just like the rest of them.

thanks avgugytx... I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel, or the La Scala.  My woodworking skills are on point for restoring, not so much on building from scratch.

Guess it will be the thrill of the hunt for awhile... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boleiro said:

Option 2: plenty of the ugly (sorry for those that might be into them) Industrial La Scala's to be had for cheap.

you better grab these  cheap LSI before someone else does

@boleiro ... OfferUp is another one and use Google to find one or 2 more that serve your area.

Just keep checking and then strike of a sudden. When you get tired of searching, that is when a pair will pop up...boing...

Any doubt about an asking price or condition, just PM me or other...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, billybob said:

@boleiro ... OfferUp is another one and use Google to find one or 2 more that serve your area.

Just keep checking and then strike of a sudden. When you get tired of searching, that is when a pair will pop up...boing...

Any doubt about an asking price or condition, just PM me or other...

you nailed it!  I will obsess for a time and then when I give it up, the offer will finally show up.   I'll be hitting you up for price checks!

• Like 1

I was looking for CW's and came home with LS.  I had to wait the worst way.... owning them, but being separated by 2000 miles..   Then stuffing them in a stupidly small car and driving them home.

I think it was 3 months of looking and 6 months of waiting, after the purchase.  It will happen when the time is right.

Do be ready to jump when the right deal comes... it won't last long

• Like 2

I was in your position a couple years ago. Had H III and wanted some La Scala’s. Looked on CL on found badly beaten bar speakers. 

Scheu posted Adorama had several pairs of NIB LaScala II 70th for 5200.00 shipped. Delivered a couple weeks later. 

But a month later Dave A had a really nice pair he rebuilt for 2,000.00. I was driving 10 miles from his house in a Super Crew pickup. Wished I had waited and saved the 3200.00. But then I would have wished I was not such a cheap bastard and bought the new 70th’s,

Hifi Shark is a good website for shopping. It does not search Craig’s List. But at least here, there is little good audio.

Dave A has a laboratory full of speakers. I am sure he will gladly part with some.

• Like 2

I know your Panelhead... this has happened to me too many times, finding "better" deals right after making a purchase.  It just happened on the Heresy's I recently purchased... cound't find a pair locally after looking for about a month.  2 days after buying my pair off ebay, one with a damaged woofer cone, up pops a clean pair of Heresy's with crites drop in crossovers.. for roughly the same price.  I always say do not look at any classifieds right after a purchase, but I always do.  but, I'm still loving my heresy's.

12 hours ago, boleiro said:

thanks all... so I guess I'll pass on the Industrials and I'll just be patient... not my strongest attribute.  But, I'll manage.

Very odd that you pass up LSI speakers , same speaker overall

Hey Randy... so it seemed that to that the majority of the replies advised against buying the LSI's with the intent to restore them to the classic La Scala home version.  There is no way I would get them and keep them stock.  Just trying to get what I want and not have any regrets later.  

and on a side note, I did get a message from another forum member offering up some la scala's he's had for awhile.  They came to him with bad paint job, but in good shape and all stock.  he replaced the caps and repainted black.  Looks good, but I would still want to sand and refinish with a wood stain.  $1600 sound fair?

1356352240_LaScala.thumb.jpg.150b4bbcb9119e43c6e8efce3323834e.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, boleiro said:

$1600 sound fair?

excellent ------they look really good ,   caps are updated which is great , do you have pictures of the backs, all you gotta do now is audition them -------

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-La-Scala-AGC-4-Amp-Floorstanding-3-Way-Loudspeaker-Speaker-Vintage-Pair/293646857327?hash=item445eb7746f:g:NNcAAOSw0eRe3pWV

These should sound better beccause of  K-43 woofers, pay the freight, which should be about $200, then buy a couple of Dayton Subwoofers to cross at 80 Hz. and you're done.