My Denon is Dead

rebuy

A Power outage during a Storm took out my Denon.

It turns on but doesn't respond to remote commands

and won't change "Modes".

I had to go to storage and get my 8 Yr. Old Harman Kardon.

No Streaming Music until I get something new.

Of course I could buy a Bluetooth Streamer from Parts Express.

H-K Amps sound Good.

It pays to have something in Reserve.

I won't miss Perry Mason Tonight !

• Like 1

A similar thing happened to my Yamaha a few years ago. None of the resets listed in the manual helped, but taking it back to my dealer, they were able to perform a special (deeper) reset that normally only Yamaha themselves can do... no parts damaged or needed replacing, just a simple reset that isn't available to consumers directly. So don't write it off until you've had Denon take a look at it (or your dealer). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, inMotionGraphics said:

A similar thing happened to my Yamaha a few years ago. None of the resets listed in the manual helped, but taking it back to my dealer, they were able to perform a special (deeper) reset

iit's a software  update --------

7 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

iit's a software  update --------

Well, not the normal software/firmware update that we have access to as consumers, as my device was running the latest firmware version at the time. And the Yamaha dealer specifically referred to it as a reset, not a software update... but that's all I know about the reset they performed.  

@rebuy, May I ask which model Denon? I have 3 ... from different generations and knock on wood never had a problem. There’s a person in southern Ontario on Canada Audio Mart who has had multiple avr torched by storms.. or other phenomenon. Multiple CAM members suggested he have an electrician check his wiring.  And, please let the interested Denon owners know if it gets fixed with a magic reset or other solution. Thanks.

On 7/23/2020 at 12:51 AM, inMotionGraphics said:

Well, not the normal software/firmware update that we have access to as consumers, as my device was running the latest firmware version at the time. And the Yamaha dealer specifically referred to it as a reset, not a software update... but that's all I know about the reset they performed.  

there  are hard and soft resets that don't require a firmware update   , each essentially clean out the memory at various levels -

2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

there  are hard and soft resets that don't require a firmware update   , each essentially clean out the memory at various levels -

I tried the reset combination that is available online and to the consumer, but that didn't cut it. Apparently there's an even deeper reset that only Yamaha and their authorized service partners can do, which is what they did and worked on my receiver. Nothing else needed to be repaired or replaced. 

27 minutes ago, inMotionGraphics said:

I tried the reset combination that is available online and to the consumer, but that didn't cut it. Apparently there's an even deeper reset that only Yamaha and their authorized service partners can do, which is what they did and worked on my receiver. Nothing else needed to be repaired or replaced. 

---great  -------was this covered on the Yamaha  warranty  in South Africa -----and Yamaha is reputed for their quality and  service -

On 7/23/2020 at 1:20 AM, rebuy said:

Thanks Guys, I'll call and check this stuff out.

I'd hate to throw it away.

did you try downloading any version of the firmware that is online ------

I had a Firmware update about 2 weeks ago.

There are not many from Denon.

I hard wired my computer to the H-K so

I can listen to music.

My H-K isn't near as fancy as the Denon

but it sounds so much better.

It doesn't have the fakey Boom sound

and the transients are so much cleaner.

I'll get a Marantz later to replace the Denon

with preouts because I want some tubes down the road.

try downloading the oldest version of the firmware available from Denon , if   it doesnt allow you to do a download , re-download the 2nd latest or  the latest  firmware again ---------this will tell you if the firmware was corrupted due to the power failure -----

14 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

---great  -------was this covered on the Yamaha  warranty  in South Africa -----and Yamaha is reputed for their quality and  service -

Unfortunately not Randy. My receiver was already out of warranty by then. But it didn't cost that much to fix... I think they only charged me 1 hour of labour. 

On 7/27/2020 at 1:35 PM, MC39693 said:

@rebuy, May I ask which model Denon? I have 3 ... from different generations and knock on wood never had a problem. There’s a person in southern Ontario on Canada Audio Mart who has had multiple avr torched by storms.. or other phenomenon. Multiple CAM members suggested he have an electrician check his wiring.  And, please let the interested Denon owners know if it gets fixed with a magic reset or other solution. Thanks.

It'a X1200W