Conundrum

JT-TX

I recently purchased a pair of RP600M's,  RP500C (center) and an SVS PC2000 for my front stage. I had some left over Def Tech Pro Cinema 800's for surrounds. I'm running them with an Onkyo TX NR646 and it sounds great to my ears. My conundrum is that I recently came across a pair of Heresy HBR's that badly needed fixing. Well, I decided to go the full route with them, replacing caps on the drivers, replacing diaphragms, re-Vaneering the cabs, etc. Now that I'm into them this deep, I want to keep them and make them my front stage. I guess this means either moving the RP600M's to the surround position (getting rid of the Def Techs) or just stacking them in the front with the Heresy's.I LOVE the heresy's sounds for Music but haven't tried them for HT. Has anyone done this before? I guess if I do it, I'll just set them up and run calibration again with them in place? 

You just went down the rabbit hole.  You need to get a better matching center to the Heresy's then anything Reference.  A KG 2.2 or 2.5 would work as would a KV-2, KV-3 not ideal but better than reference.  An Academy would be a fabulous choice and obviously a third Heresy would be the coup de gras'.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

You just went down the rabbit hole.  You need to get a better matching center to the Heresy's then anything Reference.  A KG 2.2 or 2.5 would work as would a KV-2, KV-3 not ideal but better than reference.  An Academy would be a fabulous choice and obviously a third Heresy would be the coup de gras'.

Hey sorry, I just posted an open discussion regarding Hersey's and Forte's and came across your reply: "You just went down the rabbit hole" LOL. I am falling down it, and I haven't even purchased anything yet.

I just listened to: H4, Forte 3 and Fyne Audio 502. The 502 were silky smooth, but didn't have that "magic" like the Klipsch. The Forte's I loved. H4's were nice, but dull in the bass and I don't like rear ported speakers. I can get the H3's on sale and am considering the Hersey 3's. I was thinking putting them on stands, and adding a sub or two. Any view points?

The Forte's I can get but not sure if they would fair well in my room: 25 ft L x 25 ft W x 6.5 ft drop ceiling. But note this: the area is 25 Long but the width is cut almost in half: 13ft is a kitchen another 13 is living space. So basically, the speakers will be in an area equal to 25Lx13W
thanks

18 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

AKA a port. 

Hey wuzzzer, Out of all the Heresys weren’t you saying you like the 1 the best?   Just curious as I’m thinking about selling my RP280s and Moving over to heresy or something else in the heritage line...

7 minutes ago, xo705cf said:

Hey wuzzzer, Out of all the Heresys weren’t you saying you like the 1 the best?   Just curious as I’m thinking about selling my RP280s and Moving over to heresy or something else in the heritage line...

Yes.   I had 1981 originals, 1990 IIs and 2018 IIIs at the same time and the 1981s to me sounded the best. 

5 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Yes.   I had 1981 originals, 1990 IIs and 2018 IIIs at the same time and the 1981s to me sounded the best. 

unreal , the 2018 HiIII should have been the best sounding -  except that the 81's had K55V soldered lugs ----

7 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

The RP500C will have to work for a while since the wife has decided that I've spent too much on "damn speakers" already. It's mainly the dialogue from the center that I'm worried about anyway. I've been a firearms instructor for over 20 years and my hearing is shot. This all started when I saw a show about surround systems and the guy said, "for those with hearing issues, a good center channel is a must". The wife had been complaining that I listen to the TV too loud. A light bulb went off and I popped open amazon and grabbed the RP500C. It has worked wonders. I turned up the center and the wife was happy. Then of course, I had to get some matching mains (RP600M's)....then a good sub...so on, so on...dang rabbit hole.  I guess I'll be watching craigslist for better centers..

8 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

I ordered an Academy because it was magnetically shielded, my Heresy center was messing with my TV. I ended up selling it because it sounded too different (IMHO) from either my Heresys or Khorns. A third Heresy in the center would be the best match, that way the LCR is identical.

5 hours ago, Davecv41 said:

I ordered an Academy because it was magnetically shielded, my Heresy center was messing with my TV. I ended up selling it because it sounded too different (IMHO) from either my Heresys or Khorns. A third Heresy in the center would be the best match, that way the LCR is identical.

Magnetic shielding is irrelevant these days with flat screen TV's as it only impacted CRT TV's of old.

11 hours ago, Davecv41 said:

I tried an Academy with Heresy mains.  Nope.  Changed to titanium diaphragm.  Still nope.  Updated the crossover.  Nope.  Sold it. 

9 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I tried an Academy with Heresy mains.  Nope.  Changed to titanium diaphragm.  Still nope.  Updated the crossover.  Nope.  Sold it. 

What did you end up using for a center channel or are you running phantom?

• Like 1