Hersey/Forte with stands or not?

Mars1

Hello.

I just demoed: Hersey IV. Forte III. and Fyne Audio F502. I thought 502 would steal the show and even brought my  checkbook  with me in preparation of getting them, but the H4 and especially the Forte III has made it a race. One word on my experience with the Forte's: Wow. I love it's midrange. I can afford it but may not have the space with furniture etc. The Hersey's IV I can get, but not a fan of rear ported speakers, so I am looking at a few Hersey III's on sale that are an option. However, curious if okay to raise them off the floor AND ADD a sub or two. I read/see a number of Do's and Don'ts but still, I like to hear some points of view, successful or not. Also, if anyone can help me set my head straight regarding the Forte's I surely would appreciate it. Gosh, they sounded so great. My room is 25 long by 12.5 Wide. The basement is actually 25x25, its just divided in half by the presence of a kitchen, the other half is for entertainment. So the question is: will  those Forte's be too much? Oh and a drop ceiling is only 6.5 ft. Thanks

Get the Forte III's and enjoy your favorite music at the level of excellence and excitement you deserve! Incredible, breathtaking speakers. Your ceiling is low, but your room is deep. I say go for it! They are tall, so stands are likely unneeded, but you could add them later if so desired.

I rarely use or recommend stands.  Many speakers need the boundary reinforcement of the floor and walls.  And really should be designed for it so they will sound right in a real room.  H IVs have a better squawker and crossover than the HIIIs.  They also (just barely) don't need a subwoofer(s), saving you a bundle.  I, too, am powerfully impressed with FIIIs.  If I could fit them in, they'd be my choice.  But, in the end, I chose H IVs for my instrument room largely because of size.  I love them more each time I sit and listen.

The port on the rear of an H IV is identical in function to the passive radiator on the rear of the FIII. To accept one and not the other is odd.  Both will need several inches of distance off the rear wall.  And both vibrate out of phase with the woofer, but putting the resonant wave on the back of the cabinet keeps the pressure pulses in phase with the woofer.  What's not to like?