new Klipschorn owner

vincentq

54 minutes ago, mustang_flht said:

https://www.eminence.com/faqconc/how-can-i-tell-how-old-my-speaker-is/

16th week of the year 1991

If I can see the code correctly 😊 👀

Hi @mikebse2a3  👍

Look at my answer on page 1: this K33 was made by Eminence (manufacturing code 67) the 16th week of the year 1991

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mustang_flht said:

Hi @mikebse2a3  👍

Look at my answer on page 1: this K33 was made by Eminence (manufacturing code 67) the 16th week of the year 1991

this means that these Khorns are 1991  production , the K-33 woofer is the first component  to be added to the khorn on the production line -------

3 hours ago, vincentq said:

@ RandyH000

Thank you for the info...i cannot find stamped or marked on the tweeter or the midrange; but there is a lable on the woofer . I think I read : K33 13162 or 15162 4ohms and below 67- 711601350G2

see the picture

you own a pair of 1991 production KHORN speakers -----the woofer is made on the 16Th week of 91 -

FWIW, depending on how big your room is, you may not come to favor the khorns over the CW. I very much enjoyed my khorns when I had them,  but my 15 ft wide room meant that I could never get the position just right. I was either too close in order to be on axis or I was too far away and the soundstage was one dimensional.

I just took delivery of a pair of Cornwall IVs and already I am happier with them than with the klipschorns. Now granted, I can’t say how much better they are than the IIIs,  but they are faaaar better than the IIs. If my room had been about five feet wider I might not have given up on the khorns. YMMV

Shakey

• Like 2

I would put them on the 19 ft wall if you can. That should work pretty good.

On another note, I bought crossovers from Bob and was not impressed with the improvement over the 40+ yr old original ones. Then I purchased a set of Volti Audio crossovers and was very happy with the sound. My intention is not to disparage Bob or the work he does, he is truly a great asset to the klipsch community. I just think there are better performing networks out there, even if they aren't perceived as a good value.

Shakey

• 2 weeks later...

I am the owner of the other "special" serial number Khorns mentioned in this thread. Now I'm interested in peeking at some component serials to get a better idea. Sadly when I had contacted Klipsch Support the response was bad, they based the date off the label copyright stamp. 😂

...just thought I'd add my 2c regarding k-horn vs. cornwall...

I think potentially, k-horns can kick cornwalls right to the curb...but only potentially.  Set-up, room, gear, etc, etc must be spot-on for k-horn to perform up to it's capabilities.  Cornwall are much easier to live with and much more forgiving of less-than-perfect...set-up, gear, room, etc.

That said, my only first-hand experience is with cornwall "1's" (I know...they weren't called "cornwall I's") from '85 to '93, and with AK3 klipschorns from '98 thru '03.