Help Please for HD-VCR Hookup

robforst1

I was able to buy a Mitsubishi HD VCR on an open box blow-out for $600 at Tweeter (less than 1/2 price from list of $1,500)

The configuration and set-up of the VCR has been tough. My Cox HD Box does not have firewire out, only Component Video.

The HD-VHS only has firewire input for HD recording.

My HDTV has firewire out from the built in decoder.

Therefore, I can only record HD broadcasts from the over the air stations decoded by my internal HD receiver (with firewire out to the VCR).

I am currently looking for a way to go from component video output from the COX box to the firewire input of the VCR.

***Does anyone know of a special cable that will do this (or an intemediary devise that accepts component video input and turns it into firewire output for HD signals)?***

so what you are looing for is a component to firewire cable... like the s-video to coxial rca type cables.... I have personally never seen anything like that just because firewire is not standard on most receivers and home audio equipment well yet at least... so if they make a cable I'm sure your looking to pay a preety penny... and if you can't find one. you can make one with relative ease. it would have to be heavily shielded and etc etc and so forth.....

It can ABSOLUTELY NOT be done!!! I know this for a fact. You can record from the internal HD tuner only (or another HD tuner with firewire output, which at this point DO NOT EXIST. The only STB with firewire is the new Samsung SIRT-165, which is for off air only. There is a chance that you can run your cable feed directly into the Samsung and have it decode your cable, bypassing your cable box entirely, but I have not heard of anyone doing this, and if it does work you'll only get unscrambled channels (i.e. locals) which leaves you in the same position as using your internal HD tuner. At least you HAVE a TV with firewire though, consider yourself lucky. The JVC HD-VCR has component OUT, but again, only firewire IN. The Samsung box has component in, but it doesn't accept 1080i. Just Hollywood's way of denying our Fair Use Rights, and 99% of the country, even people who are up to date on technology, like the people that post on these boards, aren't even aware of it. I work nights and own a HDTV and an HD tuner that I shelled out good money for, and I can't even record my High Definition shows to watch when I get home. That being said, if you want to sell your Mits DVHS for cheap let me know2.gif .

This, to me, is a great reason to drum up a class action suite against the cable industry. For a while, I was a subscriber to my cable provider's (Time-Warner) "Digital" cable product. The fact of the matter is there is nothing digital about the product at all! Oh, the signal does travel via fiber optic cable to a "node" in my neighborhood. But from the node into my home, it is an analog signal traveling on 75 ohm cable to my "digital" (ha ha) box. This is false advertising, IMHO.

I, too, examined the box when the technician came to install it, seaching for any sort of digital out. None. When I asked why it was called a "digital box", the tech gave me the answer above. The box is also capable of supporting bi-directional signals. So, if you puchase a Pay Per View event, it can upload the charges to your cable provider, and provide you with interactive program guides, etc. BUT, if your looking for truly digital-capable equipment, the only way to go currently is satellite.

mike, i have time warner digital w/ a scientific atlanta 2100 box & digital output hooked to a digital input of my b&k ref 30 pre/pro.

the b&k displays the bitstream its receiving & its showing either "ac-3 2.0" or "ac-3 5.1" depending on the broadcast for all my digital channels. when i go to an analog channel it of course shows analog.

so i think this verifies that it is a digital bitstream, unless time warner has figured out a way to trick my independent pre/pro. but the b&k shows the same "ac-3" info when i play a dvd in dolby digital.

seems to me the problem was your box wasn't digital. otherwise there should be no dif between cable & sat systems as far as passing an ac-3 bitstream.

Boa, that IS the problem. We have the same thing with AT&T here in Minnesota. They give you digital cable, and a "digital" cable box that says "Dolby Digital" but has no digital outputs at all!! Class action lawsuits benefit no one but the lawyers, but I wonder if Dolby would be interested in someone using their logo on Non-Dolby compliant equipment. Just think of all the people who buy a Dolby/DTS surround sound receiver, plug in their analog inputs from their so-called Dolby Digital Cable box, and are completely unimpressed with the sound. I wouldn't like that if I was Dolby. And if you don't think it happens, you'd be surprised how many people I've talked to that have owned a surround sound system and DVD player for a year or more and didn't know they needed an optical or digital coax cable to get DD/DTS.

todd, yeah the only way i found out the pioneer box i had a few years back was digital compatiable was by finding the digital out on the back myself. to this day many "tech support"

folks at time warner probably still have no clue about it.

time warner has various stores around the metro here. i finally got their store phone numbers & called around to find a scientific atlanta 2000, then a 2100. so we know those boxes or higher are digital.

don't know if at&t (soon to be comcast) has scientific atlanta or not, but those would be a sure bet for digital. problem may be getting the info from them. may have to just go in & check out what they really have, unless you can get a knowledgable support person on the phone.