From the garden

Woofers and Tweeters

What did you grow and what are you going to do to preserve some for later? 

I have lots of banana peppers this year and want to pickle some of them to put on pizza and in taco, chili, etc... and I want to deep fry some. I can google how to pickle them, but I want to know what works best for you... especially on frying them later.

• Like 1

Unfortunately too much shade for me. So mostly flowers and some herbs - chives, basil, oregano, rosemary, nasturtium

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I have lots of banana peppers this year and want to pickle some of them to put on pizza and in taco, chili, etc... and I want to deep fry some. I can google how to pickle them, but I want to know what works best for you... especially on frying them later.

Never tried to fry them. I have canned about 20 quarts, gave away many ate a bunch and have a couple left, from a few years ago. Opened a jar the other day, the peppers lost much of their crunch but that can be expected after a few years.

I grew the banana peppers to can, I wanted the type of flavor that the ones in the pizza boxes have Italian Pepperoncini. I found a recipe and they turned out good, on about 1/2 the jars I added extra garlic and some hotter spices and peppers just to try. They all came out good, pretty close to the real thing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dtel said:

Never tried to fry them.

I like them fried. I have a hard time with making them 'just right' and wonder if it's the oil, the oil temperature, the batter, phase of the moon or what. I know that a lot of what I have had at restaurants are pickled before they are battered and fried. Some have just the right zing / heat / flavor. 

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Fry them like a chile relleno---traditionally using pablanos but a big banana pepper should work.

I will have to try that. 👍

1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

do you really want to know?

Since you didn't take the liberty to answer, and I don't know you well enough to say yes or no to your question, then maybe you should PM me what you're thinking. 

7 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

What did you grow and what are you going to do to preserve some for later? 

Talk to JimJimbo , His wife is a Master canner . 

• Like 1

Pumpkin, dill, cabbage, okra, eggplant, 3 varieties of tomatoes, bell pepper, watermelon, and canteloupe have been our primary crops for our first growing season. Also planted navaho blackberry bushes for future seasons and our existing fig tree is starting to have ripe fruit.

Also have a goji and pawpaw fruit tree that needs to go in the ground. Planning to get a different variety of fiG, persimmon, and pear trees for the new garden space.

Next year we'll be expanding from using two beds to four (4ftx30ft, 12 total) and will be dedicating some beds to an entire crop - this year we didn't really do more than half a bed for any one thing as we've been testing. We'll also be getting our first bee colony and kick starting our apiary next spring.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, H-D Rider said:

Talk to JimJimbo , His wife is a Master canner . 

Yeah, he usually has some good offerings.

9 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Pumpkin, dill, cabbage, okra, eggplant, 3 varieties of tomatoes, bell pepper, watermelon, and canteloupe have been our primary crops for our first growing season. Also planted navaho blackberry bushes for future seasons and our existing fig tree is starting to have ripe fruit.

Also have a goji and pawpaw fruit tree that needs to go in the ground. Planning to get a different variety of fiG, persimmon, and pear trees for the new garden space.

Next year we'll be expanding from using two beds to four (4ftx30ft, 12 total) and will be dedicating some beds to an entire crop - this year we didn't really do more than half a bed for any one thing as we've been testing. We'll also be getting our first bee colony and kick starting our apiary next spring.

OMG, that's a lot of work, and worth it.

My okra is doing well this year. Several melons, squash and zucchini. Acres of blackberry and a few select places for raspberry. I have tried several fruit trees, never any luck here. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. 

Took a picture of this behemoth yesterday.

w.thumb.jpg.f6d231cce082adce2c94e796881a70df.jpg

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

OMG, that's a lot of work, and worth it.

And goats and pigs and chickens and ducks and turkeys and pea fowl. Wife has been doing a bunch of hatching this year, fo ourself and others - on top of the poultry we already had.

I go get spent grains from a local brewery once a week and that helps stretch out our feed costs. Then all that poop and straw/hay from the various animals goes into compost.

We used a 50/50 mixture of that compost recipe (about 8-12 months of breakdown) with the mulch we've had breaking down for 3 years and stuff just took off. No other additives and we split some starts with a couple.of different families - their plants tanked this season whereas we've been enjoying really flavorful and healthy fruits/veggies.

We're not 100% sustainable but we're well on our way.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

We used a 50/50 mixture of that compost recipe (about 8-12 months of breakdown) with the mulch we've had breaking down for 3 years and stuff just took off. No other additives and we split some starts with a couple.of different families - their plants tanked this season whereas we've been enjoying really flavorful and healthy fruits/veggies.

You have it going on. I used to have a lot of plants and animals, but never any goats. Now I have a dog and two mice hunters.

When I was a kid, we had this same hobby farm, then, that I am on now. I used to keep the cattle in paddocks close to the barn where I stored the hay and fed them through the winter (no rolled hay, only square bails handled onto the wagon, into the barn, stacked, then handled two more time to when feeding.. my Dad made sure I learned to work, like it or not lol). That was in the 80s and before, I am now using the same paddock area for a garden.  Like you, nothing but seeds and water. Still super rich after all these years. 
The watermelon from yesterday in the picture above was ~ 1/4 the size of the nut shell. Today it is ~ the same size as the shell. 
w2.thumb.jpg.bd4f9318a00d4a4a03960108f47e2dc4.jpg 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

WOW ---------------impressive ------big blackberries-------you're a farmer all right -------

No, far from that, and those are not the berries that grow here. I just like the freedom not living in the city. I don't farm, and usually buy what I want at the farmer's market. For some reason, in 2020, I thought I might grow some here for a change... keep a tan going.