From the garden

Woofers and Tweeters

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Friday evening to Monday morning (moved the shell closer is all)

are these seeded or unseeded ,  what makes these watermelons grow that quickly , a  water feeding system , fertilizer , or just the area -soil  you're in-

10 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

don't plant any of those mystery seeds that have been received in the mail unsolicited from someone in china.

https://www.wtol.com/article/news/local/whitehouse-police-warns-residents-of-foreign-package-arriving-in-the-mail/512-8270f7ec-2512-497c-961c-5214a65a39ca

Police say the mysterious packages are likely due to a "brushing" scam in which an online seller sends unsolicited and inexpensive items to random addresses and then give themselves positive feedback on the transaction. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

are these seeded or unseeded , 

I'll have to look again.

what makes these watermelons grow that quickly ,

Rich soil

a  water feeding system ,

Yes, I have a water cart that I use. I have 4 garden spots. I try to only water the plants directly that I am growing to keep the weeding labor down. 

fertilizer , or just the area -soil  you're in-

The other areas that I have plants are doing great. The barnyard needs nothing more than water. I planted in that area on 6/18. 

2 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I'll have to look again.

Rich soil

,we cant get seeded watermelons  anywhere , and they definitely taste way better than the unseeded --

I googled it for this answer

Seedless watermelons are triploid,  This renders them sterile, which of course means no seeds to pick out.

• Like 1

Last Thursday, I took this picture:

thursday.jpg.bb0fd958cadf4f5df0d352f0401bc602.jpg

Today, this is my little friend:

1083967027_1weekfromThursday.thumb.jpg.c30f15bff460a1976b87b52c402885b5.jpg

I went for week hauling water to the gardens. I tried to make sure to no over or under water them and side towards making the roots look for water. It rained a few days ago and rained all day today...and is to rain for two more days. Now I am worried that some of the produce will get too much water. 

Planted on 6/18, grabbed it today. 

692748075_7302020.thumb.jpg.657513ebdeb9a3172b87d297ef33980d.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had to take a picture and lol at the offerings at a local store. I'm having real problems with raccoons eating my ripe tomatoes. I have a wire cage out and for the past two nights, the bait is gone and the trap is still set. I have often said that raccoons are smart enough to pick a combination lock. They might be letting themselves out of the trap and resetting it, just to mess with me.  

What do you all do about your raccoon problems?

k.thumb.jpg.f7ff5819523871f60179702d9dfe47bf.jpg

z.thumb.jpg.dbb4c76d8a5acae6854473ec6d9a1a2a.jpg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

My possums keep the raccoons away.

My dog used to keep everything away. Everything from wild cats, coyotes, raccoons, possums, killer rabbits... nothing had a chance. She is old, can't hear and sleeps a lot now days. 

I need to get another dog, it will be tough to have another one this good. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

That's always tough.

She will be okay for a while longer. She still follows me to the shop and finds out where I need to work so she knows what path to block. 

I am far enough from any roads or train tracks that she'll have to count on me to make it painless.. for her.

Finally ...

I put 25 tomato plants out for my mom and another 25 tomato plants in my garden. I have lost more than 100 tomatoes due to my selfish thieving neighbors. If I see the masked bandits while making nightly rounds, they will be shot. 

It will be best if they let me relocate them. They have eaten the bait several times. It's like they know to not go inside. 

20200818_112302.thumb.jpg.e03c14acd898cd367cde0612f0dfa7e0.jpg

17 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Lucy takes care of that.

Lindi used to, but she is old and doesn't patrol like she used to. 
The sneaky ba$*^# were reaching in the case and taking the bait. Making them go inside for the crack marshmallow has worked, so far. 

20200818_112302.thumb.jpg.e51ccb455610cab265ab530fd85ba820.jpgc2.jpg.4c9f9bf31a101c97868254cbdddb7466.jpgc3.thumb.jpg.c0fd0f4478a890d961c9a5b271070401.jpg

15 hours ago, JJkizak said:

I got/ate blackberries from my woods. Does that count?

JJK

Yes. I need to learn more about what I can eat that grows naturally here. Some raspberries, lots of blackberries, plenty of poke.  There are so many mushrooms here that I could trip on them every day.