La Scala side modification

Dave A

10 hours ago, ricktate said:

Hey MOOKIE....I dont think you need to do all that work to stiffen sides up. I just put screws in the side panels I think it was 6 on each side then veneered the outside of the panel. Before I did this I could flex the panels easily with one hand on each side....I wish i would have video of it.... after I cant make them move even using my Knee and both hands on the other side. Seems lie a lot of work for the look of thicker sides to me but hey they do look pretty good. 

I am just a tinkerer so plan to give it a shot. These LS were rescued from an abusive environment (frat house) and cobbled back to life. I dont mind trying the brace approach even though I think the thicker sides look better. My situation is that i move these around a lot and they rarely sit in the same place for long. that is why they have handles on them. They are road warriors. I do not want to make them any heavier. I also do not want to recut all that aluminum trim. The brace is the path of least resistance, and i will know if I can detect the improvement. My old back will detect the added weight long before my old ears will pick up on the improved bass. But worth the experiment.

LS2.thumb.jpg.dc9cecd256aee02d418641c3f919c149.jpgLSS.thumb.jpg.b176e8944606290d666fbdc77936b101.jpg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

The brace is the path of least resistance, and i will know if I can detect the improvement. My old back will detect the added weight long before my old ears will pick up on the improved bass. But worth the experiment.

The brace IS the path of least resistance and will reward you well. Now I think at the age of 66 moving big speakers keeps you young and in shape and I assure you that you will hear a difference. You try the clamp idea first and you will see.  I had thought about trim on a couple of LSI's I had but wanted those OEM style cast corners. Impossible to find and gave up. Finally found plastic corners and strips like the old Klipsch pro boxes had and they are still being made in England but after you get done with minimum orders and shipping it is crazy expensive and gave that idea up too.

• Like 3

No I just screwed at the joints then put a veneer over the original wood. I think I put 3 screws in each joint so that was 9 per side. But it did really work. .  Mine do not move at all with out a lot of force to the sides now. I think I used 1 inch dry wall screws then filled holes and veneered. It was a while ago wish I had taken pictures. post-7905-13819791309706_thumb.jpgPic of veneered front panel 

• Like 3

On 7/27/2020 at 9:54 PM, geoff. said:

I think the K-43 in the Industrials “alleviates” some of this (127hz?) hump.

Whether it be the higher efficiency or higher frequency response relative to the K-33, or the tighter bass. Or a combination of all three (likely...)

I just recently put the K-43s back in my LSIs after years of running them with K-33s (for alleged lower bass, pfffft) and REALLY like the change. Not unlike when I tried Kappa 15Cs in them.

Been preachin' just that very thing for over a Decade now.

11 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

beautiful  , the veneer and the grille material in the dog house ,   look better than the brand new Klipsch AL5 bass bins -------

jorgen tigerwood are beautiful for sure..!

Anyone can have the AL5 with custom veneer if desired...

I think some of the beauty of my AL5 would be lost with grilles in the doghouse...

1B619BA9-2095-4B59-86BF-88571B684F70.thumb.jpeg.4dc7d3dfe759392ec4ae9c9512ee4df6.jpeg

CE500FBA-3E2E-4EAD-9350-4DFF5C10ED20.thumb.jpeg.30e0626de50339f9e9afad287748b732.jpeg

47DEC52B-B22D-4A02-BA8C-9669FC7259EE.thumb.jpeg.035644a177e3bdc160483620dfe57a7d.jpeg

A8D3C55B-1886-4F3A-A4A0-4D2A9A3FB3A7.thumb.jpeg.e704f1a980a4a2d21f75fc1c5498c0ff.jpeg

• Like 3