Any writers or published authors?

Foxman

I am working on a writing project and am roughly halfway through what I set out to do. I have a second writing project in mind and am curious if there are any serious writers? What process you have chosen from writing to print. Did you pay a reader to serve as an editor, did you self-publish and if not, how you approached a publisher. I've never done anything like this and am curious if anyone could offer some suggestions. Halfway sounds close, but it really isn't. I am taking my time and juggling a lot of balls right now, but thought I'd ask.

Since I don't know about your writing ability/experience/credentials, I'll make a generic sort of recommendation. Start by researching and contacting professional editors. A good list is online at The Creative Penn. It's a little scary to me that you say you're "halfway" through a project and have not sought some professional guidance. Again, I don't know blip about your writing or project, but the sooner you get feedback the less you'll have to scuttle. Your coach can help, or suggest help, for publishing. Good luck!

SSH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My late wife worked as a proofreader for a magazine/book publisher. She was pretty much on her own schedule and worked from home. My daughter went to school to learn film making, but found it is easier to be a writer (only in that you do it by yourself, not a large crew/actors... etc. She has published some short stories and novels. She is far from making a living at it, but far enough along to have an agent.

My guitar playing friend from high school, whom I've known for more than 50 years, is a U.S. Civil War historian, and published several books, as well as worked for the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center in Carlisle, PA, before moving to D.D. and retirement.

Bruce

• Like 1

I'm an architect/landscape architect by education/profession (although left the profession 15+ years ago).

I was also one of the first in my profession to use computer-aided graphics (1980) and later CADD & video imaging systems. Consequently I was sort of inadvertently drawn into writing articles on the subject. I've had articles published in everything from the local newspapers to professional magazines to the Wall Street Journal.

What usually happens is, especially with a subject the publication editors know very little about is I would write something, and send it to the editor for review. The first time I did this I was really pissed off when I read what the editor had edited. But after a while I came to realize that the editor had simply removed a lot of words I didn't need. The size of the document was often significantly reduced, but more importantly, it added clarity. It was more understandable to those who don't know, to who the subject is new & unfamiliar. As I got better at writing I found that editors didn't make as many changes to my text.

Less is more. Keep it simple. The (professional) editor is your friend. Learn from them. That's their line of work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ssh said:

Since I don't know about your writing ability/experience/credentials, I'll make a generic sort of recommendation. Start by researching and contacting professional editors. A good list is online at The Creative Penn. It's a little scary to me that you say you're "halfway" through a project and have not sought some professional guidance. Again, I don't know blip about your writing or project, but the sooner you get feedback the less you'll have to scuttle. Your coach can help, or suggest help, for publishing. Good luck!

SSH

The Creative Penn... wow, what a great resource. Thank you. I have access to paid proofreaders, but this site is very helpful. Genre: Christian. Devotional.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2020 at 1:13 PM, Foxman said:

I am working on a writing project and am roughly halfway through what I set out to do. I have a second writing project in mind and am curious if there are any serious writers? What process you have chosen from writing to print. Did you pay a reader to serve as an editor, did you self-publish and if not, how you approached a publisher. I've never done anything like this and am curious if anyone could offer some suggestions. Halfway sounds close, but it really isn't. I am taking my time and juggling a lot of balls right now, but thought I'd ask.

I am a published author. Send me a PM with your e-mail for more info

• 4 weeks later...

Published a paper on analytical laboratory automation... based on work in 1980 - 1981 on Digital Equipment Corp. PDP11/34, macro/assembly and FORTRAN.  Very dry, and now replaced by apps on chips from cell phones!  If you understand any of that I know how old you are.

Thinking of writing a novel. Writing part comes to me. The ePub/editor/publisher seems daunting... @ssh thanks for Creative Penn reference, looks like it will help.

• Like 1