Electric Dryer Taking Too Long

Jeff Matthews

Those seals are worn out bet on it......thats why all that lint is stuck on there. That front and rear  seal wears out on top and then leaves a gap on bottom of drum you cant see. Also need to lube all those wheel bearings and the belt bearing i bet its turning slower than it should. 

On 7/28/2020 at 4:29 PM, CECAA850 said:

Another random thought.  It's possible the blower impeller is stripping and not giving you the air flow you need.

Had that happen once, dryer did everything except move air. Made / machined a little drive hub for the fan to go in the motor shaft. It couldn't have cost 6x more than a new fan.

On 7/29/2020 at 3:24 AM, codewritinfool said:

Well, when you start with hot water...

On 7/29/2020 at 6:46 AM, Coytee said:

:emotion-21: Noticed it to, but it's a very common mistake people make....  heating their hot water that is. 

Just to give an advance warning, I have a sudden impulse with PIN number and VIN number. I have had since I was a young child, there doesn't seem to be a safe have from it. 

20 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Did you take a meter and check to see if you had 120 on each leg at the receptacle?

I have had situations where I have voltage, but the problem was a lost the ground / common / neutral.

Jeff, one of the things he suggested made me remember something.  Try running water through your lint screen.  Sometimes they look clean but pass very little air as they get a clear film from dryer sheets or soap residue.  If you can run water through it then it's fine.  If not just clean it with water and a soft brush.

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Jeff, one of the things he suggested made me remember something.  Try running water through your lint screen.  Sometimes they look clean but pass very little air as they get a clear film from dryer sheets or soap residue.  If you can run water through it then it's fine.  If not just clean it with water and a soft brush.

Filter allows water to pass, no problem.

I think so; I want to test a few more loads.

The guy on the appliance website, Rick, told me to use a meat thermometer to measure the exhaust temp.  It measured fine.  So, the issue has to be in the exhaust duct.  Bottom line....  The duct is clean, but the roof jack's opening for air to exit is a thin slit.  It doesn't allow enough volume to pass.  I disconnected the duct from the roof jack, and it seems to be okay.  When I conclude I'm certain, I will have to get a new roof jack.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I think so; I want to test a few more loads.

The guy on the appliance website, Rick, told me to use a meat thermometer to measure the exhaust temp.  It measured fine.  So, the issue has to be in the exhaust duct.  Bottom line....  The duct is clean, but the roof jack's opening for air to exit is a thin slit.  It doesn't allow enough volume to pass.  I disconnected the duct from the roof jack, and it seems to be okay.  When I conclude I'm certain, I will have to get a new roof jack.

Have you been on the roof and taken a look to see if it's clogged?  According to you it used to work at one time with that same roof vent.

Just now, CECAA850 said:

Have you been on the roof and taken a look to see if it's clogged?  According to you it used to work at one time with that same roof vent.

It never worked as far as I know.  It's not clogged.  I disconnected the duct at the roof jack.  Put my hand up in there to feel around.  No lint at all.  There is a slit around the circumference for the air to vent, and it is so thin, I can't even stick my finger through it.

14 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Did a load with lots of towels and some jeans.  Dried quickly!  The roof jack is the issue.  Now to replace it...

By the way, is there such a thing as a roof jack which will couple to a 4" duct that can be installed from within the attic?  If it requires getting up on the roof, I'm hiring it out.  It's 2 stories up a ladder, and I don't climb ladders more than 1 story.

16 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

By the way, is there such a thing as a roof jack which will couple to a 4" duct that can be installed from within the attic?  If it requires getting up on the roof, I'm hiring it out.  It's 2 stories up a ladder, and I don't climb ladders more than 1 story.

There may be but I've never seen one.  The flashing has to slide under the upper shingles.  Can you do an eave mount?

On 7/30/2020 at 5:43 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

Filter allows water to pass, no problem.

Jeff , the lint filter  feeds into the air duct housing in the  back of the dryer , that reservoir may be  blocked --------remove the rear duct - unscrew the rear panel- right in front of you is the housing , i-----did you check it ?       check the video at 5min 56 seconds

55 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Kozy Kollar makes one. This is not an endorsement.

https://kozykollar.com/products/exhaust-hood-ev-4/

Welp....

The roof jack is okay.  It was clogged after all.  It had a wire mesh that collected lint and turned it into paper mache.  It felt pretty solid like it was all metal.  Anyway, I cleared it and removed the mesh.  There aren't trees, etc. around, so I'm not too worried about rodents, etc. getting in.

Problem should be solved.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Welp....

The roof jack is okay.  It was clogged after all.  It had a wire mesh that collected lint and turned it into paper mache.  It felt pretty solid like it was all metal.  Anyway, I cleared it and removed the mesh.  There aren't trees, etc. around, so I'm not too worried about rodents, etc. getting in.

Problem should be solved.

good , case closed ----------