External amplifier or not??

Vinza

For some time now I'm in doubt if it will be worth it to go for external amplification on my living room setup.

Met setup is 5.1.4, with RP600M, RP500C and RP500M as 5 ear level speakers, my 4 height channels are older Jamo S60 Sur (87 Db sensitive).

My AVR is an Onkyo TX-RZ830 with a reasonable amount of power.

When I listen to music in two channel / stereo mode, I don't have the feeling my Onkyo is short on power.

However I'm wondering if it is worth it to go for external amplification to have better and fuller sound in Stereo mode and in the mean time also have more and quicker power to my speakers when watching movies in 5.1.4 configuration.

On the other hand I don't want to give the RP600M to much power, since they are rated for 100 watts continues.

Any advice or thoughts are more than welcome!

For some time now I'm in doubt if it will be worth it to go for external amplification on my living room setup.
Met setup is 5.1.4, with RP600M, RP500C and RP500M as 5 ear level speakers, my 4 height channels are older Jamo S60 Sur (87 Db sensitive).
My AVR is an Onkyo TX-RZ830 with a reasonable amount of power.

When I listen to music in two channel / stereo mode, I don't have the feeling my Onkyo is short on power.
However I'm wondering if it is worth it to go for external amplification to have better and fuller sound in Stereo mode and in the mean time also have more and quicker power to my speakers when watching movies in 5.1.4 configuration.
On the other hand I don't want to give the RP600M to much power, since they are rated for 100 watts continues.

Any advice or thoughts are more than welcome!

Run surrounds off AVR and the front off a 3ch amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vinza said:

Oké but what kind of amp and power per channel would be recommended for my LCR?

at least 100 to 150 watts of power  ------any --SS   analog or digital amp  amp , old school  is best for sound    

-a Yamaha A-S1100-or A-S1200 ------here is a picture of the inside of the A-S 2000   are all old school ---analog , but in actual production ----here is the inside of the A-S2000

Amazon.com: Yamaha A-S2000BL Natural Sound Stereo Amplifier (Black ...

Oké but what kind of amp and power per channel would be recommended for my LCR?

Depends if you want it for 2 ch or HT or both , if just HT get a cheap Emotiva . I’d never do 2 ch and HT combo but that’s just me

1 hour ago, A1UC said:

Depends if you want it for 2 ch or HT or both , if just HT get a cheap Emotiva . I’d never do 2 ch and HT combo but that’s just me

What is HT?

I'm in a similar situation as I have a RZ-840 running a 9.2 setup. I do probably 60% movies,30% gaming and the other 10% music and it's plenty loud especially in my basement. I have a lot of wall treatment to reduce vibration as well. I'm thinking about getting a 3-5 channel amp from either Outlaw or Emotiva to power the 2 mains and center channel only as to reduce a little strain on the AVR. The 840  by no means needs it but I like to tinker and just want to see if it makes any difference mostly with music playback. I have noticed that the prices have gone up on the amp's I was interested in and some models are NLA possibly due to everything going on so I'm holding off until December or after the first of the year to see if there are any deals to be had. These speakers are efficient power wise so I'd say the AVR you have is plenty for them unless you are like me. Like Tim Allen said it just needs "More Power". I can't disagree .....LF

Edited by LOWFAT930
  • Like 1