Xilica problems

Dave A

I have a Xilica 3060 that may have died today. Turned everything on and a mild pop through the speakers and then nothing. Readout lights up correctly for about one second and then goes away. Any ideas? Sadly it is a lesson on buying used. I could not get a warranty transfer on it so I saved 300 bucks and have a boat anchor now after about a year of use. Seriously thinking of just dumping the Xilicas and going with Mini DSP HD's.

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

I have a Xilica 3060 that may have died today. Turned everything on and a mild pop through the speakers and then nothing. Readout lights up correctly for about one second and then goes away. Any ideas? Sadly it is a lesson on buying used. I could not get a warranty transfer on it so I saved 300 bucks and have a boat anchor now after about a year of use. Seriously thinking of just dumping the Xilicas and going with Mini DSP HD's.

Dave-what is the serial no of the unit  ?   --in case the warranty is still active , and I understand that it was purchased used , but the warranty entitlement should be verified  , asap---the faster the response the better , as days count ----

40 minutes ago, Dave A said:

call Xilica -------they will help you ---

15 minutes ago, babadono said:

How's about calling Xilica? I'm quite sure its a third party P.S. in these units. Not saying that for sure is the problem but worth a try.

no third party , all units are repaired by Xilica

I agree with call them (can't hurt)

I once had an EV DX-38 go bad on me (the display died, unit worked fine).  Sent it to a service shop, they slapped a new display in it and I was off to the races.

I'd like to think the guts of this are easily swapped out with a new board if need be.  The EV unit had 3-4 different boards, depending on what went south.

41 minutes ago, babadono said:

How's about calling Xilica? I'm quite sure its a third party P.S. in these units. Not saying that for sure is the problem but worth a try.

Xlica repair their units - no 1/3 party

You did check the fuse...?  You indicate that you can power up, and I think most here are assuming that you can power up again and again, but the power-up LEDs (the red ones) turn off (as they always do).  Is this true?  Is the LCD screen showing anything?

It could be that a transient (perhaps via power tools in your shop) might have gotten through the power supply, but that's what the fuse is supposed to protect from blowing silicon circuits.  Do you use a surge protector on the Xilica?

Chris

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

You did check the fuse...?  You indicate that you can power up, and I think most here are assuming that you can power up again and again, but the power-up LEDs (the red ones) turn off (as they always do).  Is this true?  Is the LCD screen showing anything?

It could be that a transient (perhaps via power tools in your shop) might have gotten through the power supply, but that's what the fuse is supposed to protect from blowing silicon circuits.  Do you use a surge protector on the Xilica?

Chris

I am an electronic genius. So I check the fuse, ok and still nothing. Alright take the top off and no visible problems. So I put the top back on and plug it in and nothing. With a judicious and precise calibrated rap of the knuckles at precisely the right spot BOOM there it is. Fingers crossed it will remain OK. Upside is I found a place in Nashville that sells Xilicas and other things for the pro market and they can repair some problems with Xilicas. Bad stuff has to go to Canada though.

I run everything through a Furman Power Conditioner so I assume it takes care of problems.

11 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Bad stuff has to go to Canada though.

Xilica can deal with you  directly , no need to go through any Xilica dealer as only Xilica can repair the unit    , this will lower your repair costs  -

5 hours ago, Chris A said:

Clearly something's loose.  Our friend in New Zealand ( @Ziggurat) had a similar issue with something loose inside--turned out to be two loose screws.

Chris

Without removing boards I tightened every one I could see. I will have to get in touch with Siggurat and see what they were.  Checked every connection visible and they were fine.

Center top with the unit held at a 45% angle down back side facing me and normally up side up with left hand and rapped smartly with the trouble making finger on the right hand. Plugged in so the built in unit continuity meter is running.