CHORUS II - Sound Damping?

Im working on updates to my CHORUS II's. I have added Crites crossovers and titanium tweeters, fiberglass insulation in the top of the cabinets and dynamat on the woofer baskets.  Would I gain any benefit from putting Dynamat on the basket of my Passives? 

Thanks!

18 hours ago, Irisonray said:

Im working on updates to my CHORUS II's. I have added Crites crossovers and titanium tweeters, fiberglass insulation in the top of the cabinets and dynamat on the woofer baskets.  Would I gain any benefit from putting Dynamat on the basket of my Passives? 

Thanks!

lots of guys do that to the passive baskets & the horns, makes sense to try it & cant hurt anything.  any benefit will be up to you to decide. 

i can tell you one thing for sure,  the basket & horn & entire cabinet of the forte/chorus etc will ring almost like a bell when slapped with your hand.  as great as these era of speakers are, klipsch could/should have added some bracing/damping to the cabinets... thats why there are so many mods done for bracing of these speakers & why you see bracing in most other higher end speakers, it is a definite benefit. 

On 7/30/2020 at 11:43 AM, Irisonray said:

Thanks for the info. Hmm hadn’t thought about dynamat to the horns.  I have sealed and braced the cabinets to my stacked NLAs and it made a huge improvement. I’ll have to look for pics of bracing on the CH2. 

Thanks again!

let not get carried away here , these are plastic horns ,  there were never any real  complaints for the Chorus Speakers , for bracing or dynamat  , but the Cornwall1 , yes , since it  is a huge box with  metal horns ----now the Chorus speakers are MDF , and each time you remove drivers , you have to be very careful as the material will come out of the screw holes

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 4:42 PM, Irisonray said:

Thanks!

Welcome, not certain what you are finding wrong with these, that hasn't been addressed by just refreshing the crossovers. 

Enjoy...

• Like 1

If you look at the k61k squawker in your CH II's you will notice that there is a fair amount of webbing on them. I had planed doing the same on my k61k's in a set of forte II's but after looking them over I decided not to. But if you are so inclined it would not hurt anything.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 4:42 PM, Irisonray said:

Thanks!

I am running some zxpc 17 by 10 on top of my chorus II's wired off the mid k61. (K61 is discounted) Rebuild x overs with   crites kit,  crites ti, rope caulk on tweet and k61, tried open cell form in tweeter and k61.

Zxpc is my best upgrade then  crites tweeter ti. Except for rebuild xovers I would not waste my time on any of the others stuff. I would work on placement unless your happy with where they are.

First ran the zxpc's with some ev dh1a. Sounded good but was a scratchy sounding in places on some cds. ( same as k61) As an experiment ran some clarion 5.25 car speakers on zxpc's and love it. I own chorus I's, II's and with the zxpc horns chorus III's.

i wouldn't call bracing or dampening getting carried away-----------  lots of people add bracing to speaker cabinets & some type of material to driver baskets.  ask morey james about bracing & look at what he did to fortes.  quite a few other members here have braced the cabinets of many models , including chorus , i would consider chorus cabinets a huge box as well & they can benefit from bracing just as much as any other model.  yes metal horns ring more than plastic but it still cant hurt to add something to the backsides of plastic horns , ----  no need to go overboard but a few pieces of dynamat or rope caulk on the mid horn for a couple bucks is worth a try , if you dont like it its easy to remove.   

im not sure who here owns chorus2 speakers ,--- but for anyone that does , go ahead & slap the side of the cabinet & listen how hollow it sounds but more important listen to the ring that can happen most likely from the large passive basket &/or combo of plastic horns & no bracing/dampening.  same thing can happen on fortes & many other larger models to some degree.

i own other brands of speakers & one thing most companies really stress is a solid braced cabinet with as low of resonance as possible, & they use cast alum or a composite basket for mids & woofers to be more rigid.  i can hit the side of my def techs & they sound & feel like a solid piece of wood due to the bracing & very thick motor board & cabinet panels.  when i hit or slap every klipsch speaker i have owned, besides the Khorn, they are terribly hollow sounding & some actually ring like a bell.  

just like any mod or upgrade, some say there is no benefit while others who have done it say otherwise.  some say ALL crossovers need to be recapped at 20 years no matter what & some have speakers older than that that sound perfectly fine to them.  if you want to brace cabinets or add dynamat to the baskets, do it & decide for yourself if you like it.           

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

i wouldn't call bracing or dampening getting carried away-----------  lots of people add bracing to speaker cabinets & some type of material to driver baskets.  ask morey james about bracing & look at what he did to fortes.  quite a few other members here have braced the cabinets of many models , including chorus , i would consider chorus cabinets a huge box as well & they can benefit from bracing just as much as any other model.  yes metal horns ring more than plastic but it still cant hurt to add something to the backsides of plastic horns , ----  no need to go overboard but a few pieces of dynamat or rope caulk on the mid horn for a couple bucks is worth a try , if you dont like it its easy to remove.   

im not sure who here owns chorus2 speakers ,--- but for anyone that does , go ahead & slap the side of the cabinet & listen how hollow it sounds but more important listen to the ring that can happen most likely from the large passive basket &/or combo of plastic horns & no bracing/dampening.  same thing can happen on fortes & many other larger models to some degree.

i own other brands of speakers & one thing most companies really stress is a solid braced cabinet with as low of resonance as possible, & they use cast alum or a composite basket for mids & woofers to be more rigid.  i can hit the side of my def techs & they sound & feel like a solid piece of wood due to the bracing & very thick motor board & cabinet panels.  when i hit or slap every klipsch speaker i have owned, besides the Khorn, they are terribly hollow sounding & some actually ring like a bell.  

just like any mod or upgrade, some say there is no benefit while others who have done it say otherwise.  some say ALL crossovers need to be recapped at 20 years no matter what & some have speakers older than that that sound perfectly fine to them.  if you want to brace cabinets or add dynamat to the baskets, do it & decide for yourself if you 

By all means try what you want, maybe you will have a better experience than me. I didn't try bracing or stuffing inside the cabinet, didn't feel the need especially with a sub. I would rather spend/time money on a good sub or 2 (bought or diy) than  bracing a chorus cabinet.

In my room with chorus II did not notice a difference when I added rope caulk, open cell form, felt inside the horns so I feel it's a waste of time. Because of this I feel very little will by gained damping as op suggests. Ymmv.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the information everyone. Since I had previously updated the crossovers & tweeters and now have the Passives out (and like many others now spending more time at home) I’ve decided to complete the updates on these speakers. I’ve taken all the components out and made new gaskets, sealed all the inside joints. The cabinets are in excellent condition and are seemingly very solid (no bracing needed at this time). BUT - the previous owner added pink insulation in the top of the cabinets which I can appreciate sound wise. However, I’m not a fan of the fiberglass fibers laying around inside so I’m looking for other options (foam?) to possibly replace the insulation with. The original grey foam (one wall covered and a partial wall and the top covered) is still intact. I was looking at melamine foam but it’s very expensive especially for the amount I would need. Any less expensive suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks again!

16 hours ago, Irisonray said:

Thanks for all the information everyone. Since I had previously updated the crossovers & tweeters and now have the Passives out (and like many others now spending more time at home) I’ve decided to complete the updates on these speakers. I’ve taken all the components out and made new gaskets, sealed all the inside joints. The cabinets are in excellent condition and are seemingly very solid (no bracing needed at this time). BUT - the previous owner added pink insulation in the top of the cabinets which I can appreciate sound wise. However, I’m not a fan of the fiberglass fibers laying around inside so I’m looking for other options (foam?) to possibly replace the insulation with. The original grey foam (one wall covered and a partial wall and the top covered) is still intact. I was looking at melamine foam but it’s very expensive especially for the amount I would need. Any less expensive suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks again!

Please give a review on before and after on upgrades, thanks!

• Like 1