Klipschorn with oblique walls urgent suggestion

Hello friends, I go straight to the point.

I'm considering to purchase a pair of used Klipschorn with Volti upgrade. Obviously it's not the latest AK6...but some older version of Klipschorn.

My only concern is that I have oblique walls in my room and I was considering to use thick acoustic bass traps to create false corners (2 x side).

You can check out the 2 pictures I attached...the  panels can't also be attached to the walls because of their shape.

Hit or miss?

Thanks a lotPANO_20200729_134048_vr.thumb.jpg.bfe8dc103da5bb16987d1c6ff985820e.jpg

IMG-20200729-WA0011.jpeg

• Like 1

Thomann Online-Ratgeber Welche Faktoren können die Akustik in ...

The bass traps must be placed where the room modes are strongest. You can test this with different set-ups. The bass traps should be placed where the strongest bass modes are in the room, this does not necessarily have to be symmetrical. The sidepanels should always be placed on the roof slopes, left and right. The diffusion panels should be placed behind the listening position. You may be able to make measurements that graphically show you the sound waveform of the frequency spectrum in your music room. This is called a "waterfall diagram". Microphone for measurements would be a UMIK MK I or MK II and the free software for measurements is available on the internet.  The program RWE ( Room EQ Wizzard ) is available for this purpose.It´s free of charge.

So far my two cent .....

43 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

Thomann Online-Ratgeber Welche Faktoren können die Akustik in ...

The bass traps must be placed where the room modes are strongest. You can test this with different set-ups. The bass traps should be placed where the strongest bass modes are in the room, this does not necessarily have to be symmetrical. The sidepanels should always be placed on the roof slopes, left and right. The diffusion panels should be placed behind the listening position. You may be able to make measurements that graphically show you the sound waveform of the frequency spectrum in your music room. This is called a "waterfall diagram". Microphone for measurements would be a UMIK MK I or MK II and the free software for measurements is available on the internet.  The program RWE ( Room EQ Wizzard ) is available for this purpose.It´s free of charge.

So far my two cent .....

Thanks for the tips but, unfortunately, i cannot do much changes with acoustic treatments in my room.

My main query was about the Klipschorn placed in this room with oblique walls. The idea was to create false corners with those acoustic panels... but I would like to have some owner's opinions...

Edited by Miracle1980

1 hour ago, Miracle1980 said:

unfortunately, i cannot do much changes with acoustic treatments in my room.

My main query was about the Klipschorn placed in this room with oblique walls. The idea was to create false corners with those acoustic panels... but I would like to have some owner's opinions...

Even the best controlled directivity loudspeakers that I know (multiple entry horns [MEHs] and two-way home Jubilees) are going to have severe acoustics issues from those canted walls/ceiling.  I've seen this before, and the solution to those canted walls/ceiling is fully covering their entirety with absorption material--diffusion will not do it.  You can talk to @etc6849 or @rigma to see what they did and the steps that they went through before arriving at a workable solution. 

Personally, I'd find another room to try it, and not try to use loudspeakers that lose vertical directivity below 2 kHz (i.e., all the Klipsch Heritage line).  My first recommendation would be MEHs (including Danley Sound Labs Synergies--such as SH-96s--which are ~$16K USD per pair).  K-402-MEHs would be better suited and about 1/5th the price, but would require DIY construction/assembly.  Jubilees are good in rooms that can handle their height, but not the one that you show above.

Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The rectangular bass traps are made of wood (frame) and absorbing material, probably mineral wool. They are kind of solid... but it's not concrete ;)

Anyway either panels or "ad hoc" solid panels will not completely touch the wall (also covered by wood) because of its oblique shape...

@Chris A Thanks for your honest opinion. That's what I also thought. I'm afraid I will have to skip, for now, and wait for my own house in the future ;)

It was mainly an impulsive purchase decision as I had Cornwall 3 in the past and the heritage sound is pretty unique (same as the speakers I currently own, but different flavor).

On 7/30/2020 at 11:45 AM, Miracle1980 said:

I'm considering to purchase a pair of used Klipschorn with Volti upgrade..

My only concern is that I have oblique walls in my room

look ,  Franckly , @JJkizak   said it best  and I will second him  ,  oblique walls or not would not stop me from buying kHORNS ,    you will have to try to find a sweet spot and experiment further ------------I am sure you will still enjoy them , since you have cathedral ceilings ,  and roofs can have quite a bit of insulation which makes, for  a great sound room -

-I used to have Lacala Speakers in a very similar layout in an old post and beam  house ,  and I had moved my speakers to the attic which  had oblique walls , and the sound was sublime --let your ears be the Judge - not everybody on this forum , has perfect walls -rooms , houses etc ------

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jvs1670 said:

I can't see how Khorns would work at all in that room, you need corners or you'll need to build false corners.  It won't sound right if they aren't used the way they are designed to be used.

Yes, in the op's first post, they mention interest in building false corners.

On 7/30/2020 at 1:43 PM, Chris A said:

Even the best controlled directivity loudspeakers that I know (multiple entry horns [MEHs] and two-way home Jubilees) are going to have severe acoustics issues from those canted walls/ceiling.  I've seen this before, and the solution to those canted walls/ceiling is fully covering their entirety with absorption material--diffusion will not do it.  You can talk to @etc6849 or @rigma to see what they did and the steps that they went through before arriving at a workable solution. 

Personally, I'd find another room to try it, and not try to use loudspeakers that lose vertical directivity below 2 kHz (i.e., all the Klipsch Heritage line).  My first recommendation would be MEHs (including Danley Sound Labs Synergies--such as SH-96s--which are ~$16K USD per pair).  K-402-MEHs would be better suited and about 1/5th the price, but would require DIY construction/assembly.  Jubilees are good in rooms that can handle their height, but not the one that you show above.

Chris

DITTO

DON'T YOU DO IT!!!!!!!! 😉

On 8/7/2020 at 8:50 PM, Blvdre said:

Yes, in the op's first post, they mention interest in building false corners.

Sorry yea I guess he said he'd use acoustic bass traps to create false corners, in my mind that still sounds like a variation from the version built by PWK.   Maybe that'd be fine.