Strap Wrench = Lifesaver!!

Coytee

I have a transmission filter on my backhoe that was totally STUCK to the machine.  Seems I might have tightened it too much when I last changed it (oops!)

It was so tight that it was crushing under the pressure of me trying to take it off...  then, my filter wrench itself, deformed under the strain.  Walked next door to my wife's cousin to borrow his....he handed me three of them.  I was intrigued with the strap wrench, you connect it to a 1/2" ratchet (on the end of an extension in my case)  The ratchet lets you get some serious torque on it that is much harder to achieve with the typical filter wrench....

This strap finished crushing what the filter wrench didn't crush BUT, I was able to get it off and the effort to get it off was far less than I was experiencing with the standard filter wrench.  I was dumbfounded (doesn't take much to dumbfound me!) 

So today, what do I do?  I bought a new filter wrench, then get home....remember the strap wrench and found it.  I'm going to be adding one of those to my collection.  For me, it was (to be a bit dramatic) a godsend.

I'll admit, I was very dubious when I saw it....  and kind of scoffed at it BUT, decided to try it first just for kicks.  Now, I'm going to own one.

Strap Wrench.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

I have a transmission filter on my backhoe that was totally STUCK to the machine.  Seems I might have tightened it too much when I last changed it (oops!)

It was so tight that it was crushing under the pressure of me trying to take it off...  then, my filter wrench itself, deformed under the strain.  Walked next door to my wife's cousin to borrow his....he handed me three of them.  I was intrigued with the strap wrench, you connect it to a 1/2" ratchet (on the end of an extension in my case)  The ratchet lets you get some serious torque on it that is much harder to achieve with the typical filter wrench....

This strap finished crushing what the filter wrench didn't crush BUT, I was able to get it off and the effort to get it off was far less than I was experiencing with the standard filter wrench.  I was dumbfounded (doesn't take much to dumbfound me!) 

So today, what do I do?  I bought a new filter wrench, then get home....remember the strap wrench and found it.  I'm going to be adding one of those to my collection.  For me, it was (to be a bit dramatic) a godsend.

I'll admit, I was very dubious when I saw it....  and kind of scoffed at it BUT, decided to try it first just for kicks.  Now, I'm going to own one.

Strap Wrench.jpg

I remember those from the 70s....

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Yes, a must have. And for working on your cylinders ans such, these are awful handy. 

sw.thumb.jpg.6920e4d10b99f6d79010c9ed7c52c414.jpg

I don't have one of these chain wrenches that a ratchet is needed, but it looks like something I should get before I need it. 

I've got two of these....  not exact like this one, but mine are 100% useless.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Too much lost motion n tight places with those straps. That's why I went to gas pliers where the lost motion is zero.

JJK

16 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I have used mine several times, when they are needed. They don't chew into a surface, and sometimes that's important (repairing nice shiny steam whistles, painted cylinders and such). 

4856069.jpg.2e306e39bd59064bae663405ae13e982.jpg

😜

I had a similar problem with the Volvo.  The filter would not budge and it was slippery with oil. 

So I drove a big screwdriver though it thinking it would create two handles to twist.  It did but twisting it only shreded the sheetmetal housing of the filter.  I thought I should have left the filter in place and could at least drive the car.

But then I wrapped a cloth towel around the remains and it gripped the shreded housing very nicely indeed.

WMcD

• Like 1

I was changing the oil on my grandmother's 69' Cougar w/351w 4V. That PH8A just would not come off and I didn't have a strap wrench nor a way to get one. So, I drove a very large screwdriver through the canister knowing where the threads of the bung were. With a good healthy jerk and a few drips, off it came.

3 hours ago, Coytee said:

They do work and work very well. I have broken one, but I can't blame the tool and it might have been on something other than a filter when it gave up. I have the filter pliers and a few of filter sockets and a couple of the wrenches. Sometimes they just can't do the job.

Here is one that I've not seen before. They need to insert drive links from a chainsaw chain. B!tsh filter would say uncle at first sight. 

a.jpg.b804129aceabefae4182b7174243eb0c.jpg

Chain-Construction-Labeled-Revised.jpg.6518baa30e1dacd2bae7a47cc1c8d9cf.jpg