Strap Wrench = Lifesaver!!

Coytee

35 minutes ago, rebuy said:

I find it's best to install the

Oil Filter with a  Impact Gun.

No Oil Leaks Here.

I was a mechanic at a couple of dealerships right after HS. At one place, the service manager's little buddy would wipe off the old oil filter with a rag so he didn't have to go to the part's counter. I was in Cincinnati for automatic transmission training the day he forgot to put an oil filter on a truck, then backed out of his bay and T boned a customer's car... who was waiting in the showroom.   

15 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I was a mechanic at a couple of dealerships right after HS. At one place, the service manager's little buddy would wipe off the old oil filter with a rag so he didn't have to go to the part's counter. I was in Cincinnati for automatic transmission training the day he forgot to put an oil filter on a truck, then backed out of his bay and T boned a customer's car... who was waiting in the showroom.   

West Hills Ford??

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Nothing like an honest, hard working mechanic to give the trade a good name — as if the customer, women especially or a man, is going to crawl under the car to check if the filter was replaced. He probably ran the old oil through a sieve so he wouldn’t have to rack open five quarts. I suppose in the grand scheme of things that’s more or less an oil change in the eyes of a lazy azzhole - 

4 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

West Hills Ford??

No, but it did seem that there was one like him at most dealerships. There were several top-shelf mechanics and then the owner's nephew type. I honestly believed, and still do believe, that he was the service manager's coke runner. He never did quality work, never cared and never was in the office about it. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, richieb said:

He probably ran the old oil through a sieve so he wouldn’t have to rack open five quarts.

Yeah, that type. His PDIs (pre delivery inspections) were to install the hubcaps, floor mats and go drive the snot out of it. I wouldn't have trusted hin to be a parts runner. He questioned why I didn't cut him any slack. Like you said: he wasn't giving the rest of us a good name. 
At one dealership, there was one who would replace head gaskets without taking the heads off... a slide-in job. Unbolt the rigid / have to things and leave the wiring, hoses and anything else he could, then r&r the gaskets.

Back then, I specialized in automatic transmissions. Once I was accused of taking too long. I never had a comeback and never lost focus that there were going to be families sailing down the road in the cars I worked on.

14 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

No, but it did seem that there was one like him at most dealerships. There were several top-shelf mechanics and then the owner's nephew type. I honestly believed, and still do believe, that he was the service manager's coke runner. He never did quality work, never cared and never was in the office about it. 

Yea, nepotism is one of my biggest peeves. Wyler's come to mind or someone at King's Auto Mall.

• Like 1

You should be able to remove any oil filter by hand.

You snug it up, and tighten it up 1/3 turn.

Many of the housings are so thin you can damage

them with too much force.

1/3 turn and it will stay on.