Heresey IV or Forte III?

TEL

Just my opinion.

The stereo integrated Denon amps (made in Japan) from the early and mid 1990's are actually not bad amps at all. They are constructed well, reliable and have a good sound; especially compared to similarly priced peer brand offerings from that time period. No they are not exotic or tube based, but they good work horses for sure.

Buck

8 hours ago, buckaroo said:

The stereo integrated Denon amps (made in Japan) from the early and mid 1990's are actually not bad amps at all. They are constructed well, reliable and have a good sound; especially compared to similarly priced peer brand offerings from that time period. No they are not exotic or tube based, but they good work horses for sure.

Could not agree more.  I would throw in 80's Denon integrated amps also.

Bill

• Like 1

same  opinion as most others before me on this thread  , they are rebating the Forte 3 lately so it's definitely the best speaker for the price ,  as it is very closely priced  to the H4 ,  ------and sooner or later there will be  a Forte 4 , but it will be more expensive  than an H4  ----------or a Forte 3 -

-if you need a smaller speaker go for the Heresy 4 , if bigger is not a problem the Forte 3  -  both are excellent -

If there's nothing wrong with the RP280's I'd say do nothing.

If you're looking to experience the Heritage Line, get the Heresy's and use your existing sub. You'll save some money, and dip your toes into a horn mid-range/3-way speaker.

What are you trying to accomplish?  I have the 280's and run them with no sub and they sound full and great to me.  I really can't see how the speakers you're looking at could improve on that, other than possibly gaining "that midrange magic".  Although I love the idea of getting into Heritage loud speakers, when I think with my brain instead of my heart I just can't justify it.  I have a feeling I would be left lacking, especially since I really don't want to add a sub which would probably be necessary with the Heresy IV's.

Anyhoo, not criticizing or trying to start something, I am just interested in what you're looking to improve.

On 7/31/2020 at 7:43 PM, RandyH000 said:

same  opinion as most others before me on this thread  , they are rebating the Forte 3 lately so it's definitely the best speaker for the price ,  as it is very closely priced  to the H4 ,  ------and sooner or later there will be  a Forte 4 , but it will be more expensive  than an H4  ----------or a Forte 3 -

-if you need a smaller speaker go for the Heresy 4 , if bigger is not a problem the Forte 3  -  both are excellent -

Rebating the forte iii?

more info please! What are the prices coming down to?

On 7/31/2020 at 7:14 AM, Frzninvt said:

I would go with the deeper bass extension and height of the Fotre' III's personally as you have a large room to fill.  You may have to jump up to Cornwall IV's for a room that size.

+1 with a room as large as your Forte's or Corny's would be the ticket.

• 2 weeks later...

First post on this board:

For what it's worth, I picked up a pair of used Forte III's a couple of months back for $2600 shipped. I'm the second owner, and they came in the original boxes, packing material, everything. They appeared to be brand new. Anyways, I'm driving them with a 19yr old Denon AVR-1802, that I picked up new in '01. I added a Sutherland 20/20 phono w/ LPS and an then an REL T/9i sub. My listening room is much smaller at 12'x12'. 95% of what I listen to starts from a Technics SL-1200GR w/ a Nagaoka MP-500 cart. 

My takeaways with the Forte's, after a couple of months is in line with what's been stated: their touchy feely beasts - requiring great attention to placement/positioning; need a sub (or 2 - I'm able to get away with 1 REL but still wonder how a second would sound); lots of power - the 80wpc from the Denon isn't enough to move the Forte's passive 15" radiator and while I've achieved the 'phantom center speaker' with careful, tireless tweaking of speaker positioning, the Forte's are often thin in the mid range frequencies. High frequency treble is never an issue with the Forte's and the addition of the REL sub (again, if my room was any bigger I'd have 2 subs, no question) the bass is taken care of, but I feel that solving the mid range 'thinness' will come from more power. So, I'm looking strongly at Benchmark's AHB2 power amp and a worthy preamp/DAC (maybe a used Benchmark DAC2)

Do I think the Forte's are worth list price? No. If you can pick up a pair for around $2500 shipped, add a sub or two, and have a lot of (clean) power to drive them, then they'll rock the room like $8000+ speakers. To be clear, though: there's plenty of records that absolutely fill my room with awesomeness and I'm left wondering if I need more power. The Forte's are very revealing. What you put in, they spit out. In the end, I think that I've made the correct decision with the Forte's. 

Edited by Darnon
Clarification

They don’t need “lots of power”, but they do need good power. Get rid of that Denon and get something that will make them sing. I used an 18 watt/Channel SET amp and the sound was excellent.

So no, you don’t need more than 80 watts. You don’t even need half that.

Shakey

• Like 1