Heresey IV or Forte III?

TEL

51 minutes ago, Darnon said:

I'm driving them with a 19yr old Denon AVR-1802, that I picked up new in '01.

Forte's are very revealing. What you put in, they spit out.

I have to agree with Shakey here that Denon was a pretty low end piece of gear when it was new 20 years ago, certainly not the best equipment to be using when making harsh conclusions about the forte III's. 

Well, I did state that I'm going to upgrade my amplifier. Research on this board and SH has revealed several folks' pointing to Benchmark's AHB2 - which IS clean power AND 100wpc. So what is it? They're wrong? I think that I was pretty clear when stating that the mid range deficiencies pointed at the Denon. Whether or not cleaner power comes from more power or from lower power is for me to find out. 

The Denon is obviously the (very) weak link in the chain. To compliment the Forte's for how good they are, however, as I stated, the Denon will absolutely rock the room. It's not lost on my though that I'm not going to know if the Forte's are keepers until I have a proper amp - which is why I've also built the rest of the system to, in the event that amp evaluations don't result in a conclusion that they are keepers, I can sell them and feel confident that the TT, cart, phono, and new DAC/preamp/power amp will translate to support different speakers. 

Edit: I also didn't come up with the conclusion that Forte's are very revealing in that what you put in they put out. It's the experience from folks whom I have have read public reviews and had private conversations with whom have a wide range of amplification. My $900, 20yr old Denon also agrees. 

Edited by Darnon

3 hours ago, Darnon said:

I picked up a pair of used Forte III's a couple of months back... driving them with a 19yr old Denon AVR-1802...

I'm looking strongly at Benchmark's AHB2 power amp and a worthy preamp/DAC (maybe a used Benchmark DAC2)

I think that I've made the correct decision with the Forte's. 

Yes, the Forte IIIs are really good speakers. The amp upgrade will compliment your nice audio system.

On 7/31/2020 at 6:08 PM, Peter P. said:

If there's nothing wrong with the RP280's I'd say do nothing.

If you're looking to experience the Heritage Line, get the Heresy's and use your existing sub. You'll save some money, and dip your toes into a horn mid-range/3-way speaker.

I’m all about saving money, too, but “dipping your toe” with a model that may be less than you actually want, then trading up later, is the most expensive way to get the speakers you really want.  A couple of years from now, the price difference will be pretty much forgotten, while by then the better sound quality of those speakers you really want and have enjoyed for years will never be forgotten.

• Like 1

The speakers will be a wash. Just keep your sub. I used a pair of HIII with sub  in a loft that is open to two large two story rooms. Pressurized the whole house. 

If you only need a power amp (AHB2) the Benchmark will be impossible to top. Best amp built.  But 3,000.00. And if you change your mind it will bring 2,750.00.

Digital switching amps are available that are close to the AHB2. Higher power and cheaper. Purifi based amps approach the Benchmark. Orchard Audio has a unique pair of amps for 1500.00. 

Denafrips has an AB Class amp that close also. 

Doubt any integrated approaches these amps. But if I had the room a MC962 would be sitting in my loft. They eat up as much floor space as a LS II.

• 7 months later...

Respectfully I would also say replace the Denon amplifier, the Forte 3's can run easily on 10 watts of good power.  I just purchased a set (new) and I am using a Primaluna 35 watt power amplifier with an Audio Research LS15 preamplifier.  The sound is unbelievable with excellent bass, over the top midrange and the high frequencies blend perfectly.

I can promise that you will not be sorry that you replaced the Denon amp.  

Edited by Markkly
Spelling