RP-600m or RP-280f ?

raven1000

Hi,

I recently purchased a HTIB with Klipsch reference theater pack and a pioneer vsx-lx303 atmos ready 9.2 receiver. Having realized that the satellite speakers don’t sound that great when it comes to music I’ve decided to upgrade my mains L and R front speakers, while keeping the weak center channel satellite speaker and the 8 inch sub as-is and relegating the satellites as height speakers. I will end up with a 5.1.2 system when the first pair of satellites will serve as my front heights and the second pair of satellites will serve as my surrounds. Maybe I will eventually upgrade the center channel and the surrounds. First, what do you guys think of this idea, particularly the weak center channel?

I am also debating between getting the 600-m’s or the 280f’s for the mains. My room is 15x12 feet and it is connected to the dining room. I have 9 foot ceilings. Will this space be too small for the 280f’s?

Also,  there are neighbors below me and I want to be considerate of the noise level. I presently shut off the sub in the evenings. I also plan to get an isolation pad to place under the sub. I don’t think I will be listening to the system very loud.. but if I get the rf-280f’s will they be too loud and too much bass?  Initially I had an idea that I could just lower the rf-280 bass frequencies.. but just noticed that my receiver’s EQ can only control the frequencies on all channels, not individual channels. Will loud noise be a problem if I get the 280f’s?

Thank you!

• Like 1

I would go with the RP-280's if you can afford them. The RP-600's are great speakers I believe, so you can't go wrong with them, but if you have the space and budget, I'd rather get the floor standers. It might be a good idea to try and audition the 280's and 600's and see which sound you like more, as the 600's and 8000's have a new vented tweeter and softer horn (wave guide) that I don't think the 280's have... and no, I don't think you'll have a bigger problem with the neighbors and the 280's vs. the 600's. It's more a question of how loud you push them, and either form factor will make a noise at extreme levels... it's more the subwoofers than you need to be concerned about and manage when it comes to your neighbors in my opinion. I live in an apartment with neighbours above, below and next to me, and manage with floorstanders and a 12 and a 15 inch subwoofer... but I do have tolerant neighbours and I don't pump it at night.

As for the center speaker, this is your most important speaker when it comes to movies and TV watching, so I wouldn't skimp here... upgrade your center speaker to the best center you can realistically afford, either at the same time as you upgrade your mains or before you upgrade your mains.

Let us know what you decide, and most importantly, enjoy! 

Brendon

• Thanks 1

I agree with upgrading the center as it's your main speaker for dialogue etc. I have 2 different systems with 8's downstairs for cinema and a pair of R-610's upstairs on a 7.1 setup for music listening only. I can tell you the 6's will not disappoint but if it were me and only wanting to spend once I would go with the 280's if possible. Welcome and it's a slippery slope this hobby lol.

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2020 at 5:09 AM, inMotionGraphics said:

>> I would go with the RP-280's if you can afford them.

They are not going to be much more than the 600’s with stands.

>> as the 600's and 8000's have a new vented tweeter and softer horn (wave guide) that I don't think the 280's have...

I am leaning toward the 600’s for that reason.. unless I can get a really good deal on the 8000’s

>>  it's more the subwoofers than you need to be concerned about and manage when it comes to your neighbors in my opinion.

auralex subdude isolation pad coming in a few days as an extra measure.

>> As for the center speaker, this is your most important speaker when it comes to movies and TV watching, so I wouldn't skimp here... upgrade your center speaker to the best center you can realistically afford, either at the same time as you upgrade your mains or before you upgrade your mains.

I am slowly realizing that I need to do this. 

I put up some mock boxes to simulate the look of freestanders vs bookshelves and noticed that if I go with the freestanders my RF speaker would be obstructing a small part of the bottom right corner of my screen because there is a heating unit built next to the wall in the corner. While I can probably deal with this it might get on my nerves looking at it each time. Being so close to the side wall is another concern. The bookshelf speaker should fit fit better there if I get a skinny stand, it will fit over the heating unit, and I read that bookshelf speakers are better in corners than freestanders. That full range sound is so tempting though!!!  Still on the fence...

I had to go with the 600m’s, due to space considerations. The right tower would slightly obstruct the view of the bottom right corner of the screen - there is an object next to the right wall which cannot be moved. However I can place the right 600m on a thin stand, effectively positioning it above this object and solving this obstruction issue. Thank you guys for your responses!

• Like 3