Adding a Heresy as a Center Speaker to My La Scala's

HonestDave

I know this is the "two-channel" topics, but I need some advice on how to hook up a single Heresy to a Tube Cube amp to augment my  La Scala two channel system. I plug the La Scala's into the back of the little Tube Cube amp using banana plugs. How does one add the center? I would greatly appreciate an explanation. Thanks

The correct way to do it is build a copy of PWK's derived center channel box if you don't have a dedicated center channel output.  There used to be plans on the forum somewhere.  I would not receommend it because some amplifiers don't like it but I have used the + from one channel and - from the other channel to create a center channel output.

Thanks. It would be interesting to view PWK's design. I believe I had read once that he preferred a three channel system with the Klipschorn and La Scala speakers and I want to try it. I have a large listening room and I think the Heresy will be the ticket to increase the soundstage. If anyone comes across the PWK design, let me know. 

I believe that Paul’s center speaker box helps with keeping the ohms steady and even so the amp only sees the regular ohms of the left and right speaker with the center speaker being used. I had one many years ago and it worked great. It some how made the vocals blend into the center speaker, made it sound like the singer was right in front of you and all the other Instruments were still in the left and right speakers, and a lot of times the snare drum would be right in the middle with the singer, and the back up vocalist would still be in the left and right and in the center speaker
It was some what odd as to how it accomplish this ,but it sounded very natural
But the important part was the amp would still o my see the 8 or 6ohm load.
Paul made this box so he could use a Cornwall with the K-horns in a larger room. He did not like it when there were dead spots in a room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TubeCube at $180? 

If so, here's what I'd do.  Buy another Tube Cube.  Buy 3 Y-adapters and a resistor.  Split your preamp out with 2 Ys and feed your 1st amp as normal.  Use the 3rd Y to combine the extra preamp outs back into one (mono).  Feed that to one of the 2nd TubeCube channels and power your Heresy.  Use volume knob to match level.  Attach resistor across the unused amp channel, "just in case". 

Make sure your Heresy matches the components in your La Scalas and reconfigure the Heresy network to match what is in your La Scalas, I.e. similar to a Type HIE.  I'll give you my design if you have Type AA La Scalas. 

Yes, excellent paper. It seems to me that a three channel system is the way to go and PWK's boxes would be widely available. I think Klipsch needs to resurrect the mini box as a very useful product for the Heritage line. I'm not adept at the build your own process. If someone has a PWK box that they would like to sell the would work in combo with a single stereo amp, please message me. I do have a little Kinter amp with a volume control. Could it be used as a mono amp? Thanks again for all the great comments.

• 3 weeks later...