Thoroughly Impressed with The Fives - REVIEW

Youthman

I'm about to embark on a entirely different approach. Having functioned as a recording engineer owning 2 studio's, and having been a musician for over 50 years I was also blessed with "perfect pitch" along with becoming very familiar with tonal natures of various instruments. For example I could tell you a Bosendorfer vs. a Steinway vs. a Yamaha piano in a recording. Also a Martin, vs. a Taylor, vs. a Gibson acoustic and so on. That said I am very critical of the output of a given speaker. My monitors (Adam 7's) were extremely accurate and didn't have a dip in any area of the spectrum so I knew what to mix accordingly.

The Five's I just got have some interesting characters. They are literally dependent upon the source for their quality overall. Most sources however will render a midrange that screams for a drop in the 500hz range to clean it up and make it more intelligible with definition. The low end is flat out amazing so no complaints in that department. The vocal range in particular really needs help in most cases with manipulation (eq) in the 250-800hz range overall to open it up. The higher end needs to also be opened up to allow for the fine detail in instruments and orchestral types of details. They are missing in most cases. 

I easily determined this by hooking up via bluetooth, my phone which has some music on it. I also have a EQ App on my phone. When played back I dropped the 500hz slider on the EQ about 3db  and oh baby the voices were then clear and defined without the mud/fluff/cloudy sound they typically have. Then I slowly upped the 6k and 8k range and voila' the highs reappeared in all their glory. The "air" and sparkle were once again revealed which were not there before the EQ. I then listened to a half dozen pieces of music (one of which was Simon And Garfunkel's Bookends album). in which I heard things I'd NEVER heard before even on high end systems. So the speakers can do it........but they have to have their DSP crossovers and overall output balance freed by a EQ App which I understand Klipsch is working on but may not be seen till later 2021.

I 'm not that patient. So I've ordered the Shiit brand out of California, their DAC unit and their 4 band EQ that I saw was very highly rated for just this purpose. I know I'll have to give up the HDMI way of doing things and use the Optical output of my Sony Bravia into the DAC then from there into the EQ and then onto the dual RCA input of the speakers and switch it on via the Klipsch remote each time I fire up my Sony Bravia. But I can easily live with that if the EQ brings me to the place it NEEDS to be with those Five's. They need equalization to be sure and I hope Klipsch realizes this and releases that EQ App. But in the mean time I'll be sure to report back when I get it in a few weeks to let you all know how it works. It either is the answer to the problem and reveals the truly amazing sound that is currently locked up in the Fives, OR it isn't the answer I'd hoped for. Let's hope for the latter to be the case. I'll let you know. DSP is a wonderful thing IF you use it fully

• Like 3

I'm about to embark on a entirely different approach. Having functioned as a recording engineer owning 2 studio's, and having been a musician for over 50 years I was also blessed with "perfect pitch" along with becoming very familiar with tonal natures of various instruments. For example I could tell you a Bosendorfer vs. a Steinway vs. a Yamaha piano in a recording. Also a Martin, vs. a Taylor, vs. a Gibson acoustic and so on. That said I am very critical of the output of a given speaker. My monitors (Adam 7's) were extremely accurate and didn't have a dip in any area of the spectrum so I knew what to mix accordingly.

The Five's I just got have some interesting characters. They are literally dependent upon the source for their quality overall. Most sources however will render a midrange that screams for a drop in the 500hz range to clean it up and make it more intelligible with definition. The low end is flat out amazing so no complaints in that department. The vocal range in particular really needs help in most cases with manipulation (eq) in the 250-800hz range overall to open it up. The higher end needs to also be opened up to allow for the fine detail in instruments and orchestral types of details. They are missing in most cases. 

I easily determined this by hooking up via bluetooth, my phone which has some music on it. I also have a EQ App on my phone. When played back I dropped the 500hz slider on the EQ about 3db  and oh baby the voices were then clear and defined without the mud/fluff/cloudy sound they typically have. Then I slowly upped the 6k and 8k range and voila' the highs reappeared in all their glory. The "air" and sparkle were once again revealed which were not there before the EQ. I then listened to a half dozen pieces of music (one of which was Simon And Garfunkel's Bookends album). in which I heard things I'd NEVER heard before even on high end systems. So the speakers can do it........but they have to have their DSP crossovers and overall output balance freed by a EQ App which I understand Klipsch is working on but may not be seen till later 2021.

I 'm not that patient. So I've ordered the Shiit brand out of California, their DAC unit and their 4 band EQ that I saw was very highly rated for just this purpose. I know I'll have to give up the HDMI way of doing things and use the Optical output of my Sony Bravia into the DAC then from there into the EQ and then onto the dual RCA input of the speakers and switch it on via the Klipsch remote each time I fire up my Sony Bravia. But I can easily live with that if the EQ brings me to the place it NEEDS to be with those Five's. They need equalization to be sure and I hope Klipsch realizes this and releases that EQ App. But in the mean time I'll be sure to report back when I get it in a few weeks to let you all know how it works. It either is the answer to the problem and reveals the truly amazing sound that is currently locked up in the Fives, OR it isn't the answer I'd hoped for. Let's hope for the latter to be the case. I'll let you know. DSP is a wonderful thing IF you use it fully

I've experienced this with every Klipsch speaker I've owned. Personal preference to a point but I was reminded of this not too long ago when listening to my tech's JBL's. He had everything flat and when he had to go deal with a customer he said go ahead and check it out for a while til he got back.

My immediate move was too lower the midrange (like I do with my Klipsch). It just did not sound right. It was taking away from the music in a big way. It sounded 'right' when the EQ was flat. To me, Klipsch never sounds right flat. However, when EQ'd mainly dealing with the midrange it sounds right to me....and very good I might add.

The Cornwall IV's were the first Klipsch speaker I've heard that sounded exceptional with no EQ.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

As I mentioned in another post I still have that DAC on order and in this case will first pair it with a Bellari Exciter unit. They tend to add the "air" missing at the higher end and clean up that pesky muffled midrange vocal area which is without a doubt the MOST annoying for my ears. Instead of an all out equalizer I'm hoping the exciter is a better answer. I had them when I was a recording engineer in my studio and indeed they sure to bring up the excitement in the source adding harmonic content to the high end enhancing what the ear hears and cleans up that midrange making it more present without the pillow over the speaker effect that is typical of most speakers without EQ in so many rooms. I'll let you all know what the results are once I've gotten all the gear in over this next week.

Main reason I bought the Fives is having decent sounding music on my TV with the simplicity of HDMI arc, buying an extra DAC  & EQ defeats the purpose for me.
I got bass-cut mode to work so I'll stick with that for now even though it doesn't completely remove the "pillow effect" you mentioned

I'm very happy to hear that Klipsch told you the EQ app is still planned though, I had given up on it!

Also streaming music with a chromecast audio puck I was surprised it sounded slightly better to me using the analog output than the digital optical one. I should try  to plug my dragonfly red DAC some day to check how much better it can get.

On 1/2/2021 at 2:24 PM, Helder said:

I am quite disappointed with the sound of my recently purchased The Fives.

Hopefully I am just doing something wrong, wondering if someone can help to find out what 🙂

I am not an experienced audiophile, so not comparing to any high end system.

In essence, currently my only reference are the built-in speakers of my smart TV.

Sound Issues

• Movies
    • The sound has for sure a lot of base, but there is no clarity on the highs, especially for the voices, where I need to raise the volume to understand during movies, and then it becomes too loud when music or effects start
    • This is severe to the point that I had to turn them off and go back to the sound from my TV internal speakers
  • Music
    • Again a lot of base, but lack of clarity on the highs, where voices and some instruments are muffled

My base setup

• Connection via HDMI ARC to my TV LG SM9010PLA
  • Firmware: 1.5.2
  • Software: 5.7.5

What Have I Already Tried

• Reviewed the sound settings on the TV, setting sound output to PCM, Pass Through and Auto and turning on/off the eARC
  • Adjusted the bass to "Dynamic Bass EQ", "Flat" and "Bass Cut" modes (on Flat and Cut gets slightly better on voices but still poor)
  • Played videos from different sources
    • HDMI Set Top Box
    • Apple TV (LG App)
    • Apple TV (via HDMI)
    • Netflix (LG App)
    • Youtube (LG App)
    • Plex Server (LG App)
  • Played music from different sources
    • Apple Music via Bluetooth
    • Youtube Music (LG App)
    • LG Music App
    • CD Player connected via optical cable and via analog output
  • Placed speakers on different locations (inside my bookshelves, outside away from walls and on the floor)

Could not perceive any huge difference between all the above experiments in terms of highs and voice clarity.

What can I be doing wrong?

You are certainly NOT imagining things. I've had words with tech support over at Klipsch for much the same result. I've been a serious audiophile for over 50 years and am also an accomplished musician and former recording engineer. I KNOW sound, the frequencies associated with instruments and how they are often mixed. Sure, there are huge discrepancies between sources alone let alone musical recording mixes. BUT a competent loudspeaker needs to at least project a reasonable facsimile of the original. The "Fives" are without a doubt adjusted by DSP as a "dark" speaker. They, out of the box at this time, do NOT present an open midrange or upper region of the higher end. The areas that lack the most are in the 500hz region (and needs to be dropped at least 3db) to clear up that stuffed up midrange. The higher end (4k to 12k) needs to be upped at least that much to open up the sparkle and "air" at the high end. So we need to hope that Klipsch engineers are working on that supposed coming app that is going to be an EQ for the Fives. My suggestion would be at LEAST a 7 band to be sure and nothing less. Ideally covering the center frequencies of 60hz, 250hz, 500hz, 2k, 6k, 10k, 12k. Allow for +- at least 8db or more. So here's the rub. I confirmed all I've said by hooking up my smartphone with music on it via bluetooth. It also has a EQ app loaded. I adjusted the 500hz range downward about 3-5db. Slightly elevated 2k, more so 6k and even more so yet 10k. I played a dozen songs I was quite familiar with and holy smokes those speakers came completely alive. I heard detail that is pure high end to be sure. They sang.....literally. The vocals were in your face and tactile real. The highs were super present (not overdone) and had tons of air and dimension. So indeed these speakers NEED to be equalized in order to be proper. 

Friday I will be taking a bit of a different approach. I have a Shiit Modi DAC coming as well as a Bellari "Exciter". I had a recording studio at one time and used Exciters to add definition to the midrange and higher ends of recordings in a given mix. I am going to try that approach before I dive into the possibility of an equalizer. I am hooking up the DAC from the Optical output of my Sony Bravia flat screen and will be going out of the Exciter into the RCA Line inputs of the "Fives". I'll be sure to report back as to the results of this setup. I'm hoping (and praying) that this will bring these Fives to life. If it does I'll be spreading the word. I'm not a patient person and suspect that the eq being designed for the Klipsch App usage for the Fives is a number of months away if at all, let alone may not be extensive enough to truly get the job done. I wish they discuss it with me. LOL I'd get it done right and it would elevate these speakers to a whole other level. 

• Like 2

I finally got an answer from Klipsch (was waiting since Jan!), they suspect from faulty tweeters and are proposing sending these to replace. I am not inclined to this root cause, but when I read others very happy with the sound including TV voices, I will give it a try. Will bring any updates asap.

I seriously doubt your tweeters are in any way defective. They simply aren't being given the source that exploits their output. I feel much the same way and KNOW they are not defective. I was able to confirm this and recommend you do the same. Download some music onto your smartphone that has good low's highs and mids. Then also download a music player program AND a EQ program. Get your Bluetooth hooked up to the speaker via your smartphone. Then fire up the song through the Music Player app/EQ program. Drop the 500hz range about 3 or so DB. Up on a gradual curve starting with 2-3DB at about 2k and gradually more each slider up to the 16k if it's offered. You will see the speakers come alive with detail, air and vocal splendor no more veiled mids. I'll be sure to post how my Exciter experience comes out Friday once I get the setup hooked up. I'm sure hoping this does the trick.

19 hours ago, Helder said:

I finally got an answer from Klipsch (was waiting since Jan!), they suspect from faulty tweeters and are proposing sending these to replace. I am not inclined to this root cause, but when I read others very happy with the sound including TV voices, I will give it a try. Will bring any updates asap.

8 hours ago, dcisive said:

I seriously doubt your tweeters are in any way defective. They simply aren't being given the source that exploits their output. I feel much the same way and KNOW they are not defective. I was able to confirm this and recommend you do the same. Download some music onto your smartphone that has good low's highs and mids. Then also download a music player program AND a EQ program. Get your Bluetooth hooked up to the speaker via your smartphone. Then fire up the song through the Music Player app/EQ program. Drop the 500hz range about 3 or so DB. Up on a gradual curve starting with 2-3DB at about 2k and gradually more each slider up to the 16k if it's offered. You will see the speakers come alive with detail, air and vocal splendor no more veiled mids. I'll be sure to post how my Exciter experience comes out Friday once I get the setup hooked up. I'm sure hoping this does the trick.

Just got a message from Klipsch, as I purchased these in Portugal, sending the tweeters for replacement or full direct exchange is not possible, I would need to contact the local dealer/distributor, so I don't think it will be an easy process just to find out at the end that the issue would persist 😞

We are in "violent agreement", I don't really suspect from the hardware, it must be the Firmware or Software.

What EQ App can you suggest for iOS?

I really want to help us prove Klipsch they must do something on the App to resolve this!

On 3/19/2021 at 2:10 AM, dcisive said:

I agree with you @dcisive. I tried yesterday your configuration and i confirm, the sound is really better. I can hear a lot of details that i didn't hear before. No more veiled mids.
Thanks a lot for your advices.

I share with you my configuration music app.@dcisive, could you tell me if it's the better way or if you have many suggestions to improve the sound of my fives ?

164203631_724441884827736_5963375500843816639_n.jpg

Yup Fred that is indeed about dead on for what the Five's need to truly come alive. I sent the Bellari Exciter back for their 4 band EQ. While it most certainly cleared up mid's to highs it wasn't quite the HiFi effect I was looking for. 50 years as a musician and Audiophile made me rather fussy. And my years as recording engineer only furthered my understanding of the placements of instruments in the frequency realm. Indeed that 400-500hz range is one of the MOST critical to have control over, and 98% of the time bumping it downward several db will eliminate that "chesty" or muddy midrange, one of my biggest bug bears. Upping the successive frequencies there on up, as you've done continues to progressively open up the upper mids and onto the clarity and character presented by the speakers with instruments such as piano, sax, woodwinds, strings etc. I need to hear that "air" or I'm never happy. the Bellari EQ centers it's frequency dials at 60hz( which I found leaving at center was perfect) then 400hz, which I dial it down about a notch or around 2db, 2000hz, which interestingly enough for character's sake was best set back about 2db as otherwise it gets a "coney" character that is annoying and doesn't portray the proper tonal character of the midrange. Finally the most important one was the 7.5k. I felt the best results in this one, unfortunately was all the way UP. I'm ok with that as the bottom line was results. That setup now allows me true HiFi results as I ran the test gamut of at least 6 songs that I was very familiar with from the late 60's to around the late 70's(when we actually had music by musicians). I also gave it a go with several songs from my own 2 indi albums I mixed and knew how it was supposed to sound. The Five's getting the TV's output from the Optical output, then put through the Shiit Modi and then into the Bellari EQ then on the to RCA inputs of the Klipsch Fives and run by the Five's remote of course using the Phono input choice from the remote (obviously the switch on the back of the Fives in the "Input" position) the results are consistently superb no need of further adjustments. So My recommendation to anyone that wants a HiFi result with their Fives is indeed the Shiit Modi 3 DAC coupled with the Rolls "Bellari EQ570. You will most certainly be rewarded with top flight audio quality. I also recommend adding the Klipsch SW100 to the mix for the extreme bottom end. The movie I watched off Netflix last night was better than being at a movie theater. The imaging eliminated the need of surround speakers let alone the amazing "Phantom Center Channel". The low end was so incredibly tight, undistorted and distinct. The midrange was clear as a bell and the highs were as if you were IN the movie. There you have it.

On 3/24/2021 at 2:10 PM, FredTheFrench said:

I agree with you @dcisive. I tried yesterday your configuration and i confirm, the sound is really better. I can hear a lot of details that i didn't hear before. No more veiled mids.
Thanks a lot for your advices.

I share with you my configuration music app.@dcisive, could you tell me if it's the better way or if you have many suggestions to improve the sound of my fives ?

164203631_724441884827736_5963375500843816639_n.jpg

Glad to see there's been new discussion on the thread since my last visit. I did roughly the same adjustments as fred above, suggested by dcisive and boy does it make a change! The pillow effect is totally gone, and the sound is so much better! It's actually perfect now, there is clarity in midrange and highs are more airy.

I can only do this when streaming from my phone, so it does not help the TV use. I'm not willing to compromise the HDMI use which was the main reason I went for these speakers. 

I can do a additionnal suggestion. I have downloaded by mistake an app which name is bass booster. And surprisingly, with my music app configuration, this gives a beautifull cocktail !
I don't use bass booster with all kind of music (don't use it for classic) but for pop and rock, the result is very interristing.
Obviously more bass, but also more clarity in voices.

If you want to try, i would be interrested to know what you think about this configuration. 

PS : i use the cut bass mode on my fives

166530517_740757116617681_100028608593847632_n.jpg

Edited by FredTheFrench

22 hours ago, Kalam said:

Glad to see there's been new discussion on the thread since my last visit. I did roughly the same adjustments as fred above, suggested by dcisive and boy does it make a change! The pillow effect is totally gone, and the sound is so much better! It's actually perfect now, there is clarity in midrange and highs are more airy.

I can only do this when streaming from my phone, so it does not help the TV use. I'm not willing to compromise the HDMI use which was the main reason I went for these speakers. 

is there any hiss sound from these speakers ---

On 3/27/2021 at 3:02 PM, Kalam said:

Yes that is the only drawback. But if one wants uncompromised sound, at this time, the ONLY way around it is to get a DAC unit and from there run a EQ via the RCA's as described in my previous post and then into the "LINE" input of the Fives. There's NO other way at this time. I gave up my HDMI as I simply could NOT put up with that sound quality given. Until Klipsch engineer's get off their duff and create that DSP EQ app that will allow us to adjust the frequency characteristics of it's output for ALL inputs going into it including the HDMI we're hosed. I simply could NOT wait. I was told it was going to happen this year 2021, but what if it doesn't? In the mean time I get to completely enjoy all these speakers can deliver. Sure it's a pain to fire up the TV with it's remote, then hit the Phono input on the Five's remote and go from there. A price to pay for perfection I'm sorry to say. Sure wish Klipsch was reading these posts and move this EQ along for the Fives.............they NEED it that's for sure

19 hours ago, dcisive said:

Yes that is the only drawback. But if one wants uncompromised sound, at this time, the ONLY way around it is to get a DAC unit and from there run a EQ via the RCA's as described in my previous post and then into the "LINE" input of the Fives. There's NO other way at this time. I gave up my HDMI as I simply could NOT put up with that sound quality given. Until Klipsch engineer's get off their duff and create that DSP EQ app that will allow us to adjust the frequency characteristics of it's output for ALL inputs going into it including the HDMI we're hosed. I simply could NOT wait. I was told it was going to happen this year 2021, but what if it doesn't? In the mean time I get to completely enjoy all these speakers can deliver. Sure it's a pain to fire up the TV with it's remote, then hit the Phono input on the Five's remote and go from there. A price to pay for perfection I'm sorry to say. Sure wish Klipsch was reading these posts and move this EQ along for the Fives.............they NEED it that's for sure

What I don't get is all the reviews shouting how the Fives are a perfect soundbar replacement for which they are not in my opinion without EQying. Is it groupthink among the reviewers, or do they all have a setup that they can place the speakers absolutely perfectly, and do not test the speakers located so that they would normally be placed in homes? Funnily enough my first issue with the speakers was way too much bass, but with the EQ adjustments suggested by you, even the normal amplified bass mode does not sound too bad. As rear ported speakers they are heavily also influenced by placement, hence EQ should be a standard. Anyhow, I have hard time believing that the behind the pillow sounding mids would be all due to placement.  

Most of the reviewers I've read all had their speakers like at least 12-15ft apart first of all. Then they were at least 6ft+ from the back walls on stands. In a hard room this would allow them to have sound more comparable to what the EQ provides. It seems any closer than 5ft or so minimum promotes that muddy bass/midrange issue. The EQ compensates beautifully for that. I personally believe that is the larges drawback to them is the ability to keep them far from the rear walls, which most of us can NOT do.

I believe bass is no longer the issue with these speakers, specially with the latest software/firmware upgrade where you have 3 levels to select from. Personally, with my current setup where they are 25cm away from the wall, I have bass on the max level and cannot complain on the bass, it is actually one of the great features of these speakers. Also I don't think bass is muffling the mids/highs, I don't hear significant improvements on the voices by cutting the bass. It looks clear that by using EQs (external or on the source) we are all achieving great results but sacrificing functionality and/or needing to make an additional investments. Truly believe the only way for Klipsch to solve all of these is to incorporate EQ functionality on the App, not only it would solve the mids/highs issues but would also give everyone the chance to adjust to their personal taste.

Just to be clear however regarding what Klipsch may or may not provide regarding a App for EQ. I simply MUST (I repeat MUST) allow the app to alter the DSP inside the electronics of the speaker in such a manner as to set it to adjust your EQ setting and apply them to ALL (I repeat ALL) input signals. eg. from say the HDMI signal) otherwise it is useless. I currently have an EQ app on my Android phone that allows me to EQ any music that is on my phone. The EQ is NOT usable for anything BUT what is on the phone. I sure hope they know this and are doing as I say, allowing it to adjust the DSP in the speaker for ALL inputs. Otherwise my current DAC to EQ to RCA inputs of the Five's will remain a permanent fixture. I'm ok with it if it MUST be. But it would sure be a sad day if Klipsch doesn't do this RIGHT as I described above. 

On 3/30/2021 at 6:01 PM, dcisive said:

Just to be clear however regarding what Klipsch may or may not provide regarding a App for EQ. I simply MUST (I repeat MUST) allow the app to alter the DSP inside the electronics of the speaker in such a manner as to set it to adjust your EQ setting and apply them to ALL (I repeat ALL) input signals. eg. from say the HDMI signal) otherwise it is useless. I currently have an EQ app on my Android phone that allows me to EQ any music that is on my phone. The EQ is NOT usable for anything BUT what is on the phone. I sure hope they know this and are doing as I say, allowing it to adjust the DSP in the speaker for ALL inputs. Otherwise my current DAC to EQ to RCA inputs of the Five's will remain a permanent fixture. I'm ok with it if it MUST be. But it would sure be a sad day if Klipsch doesn't do this RIGHT as I described above. 

Hi everyone, I'm new here and also new on the "hi-fi" journey.

So glad to find this forum, especially the work @dcisive has been doing to improve the fives sound. I'm another one who find this muddy midrange sound or dark veil quite annoying.

I came to the fives in the search for a soundbar, but even when it was way beyond my initial budge, I choose them because I thought I could fullfil a very postponed desire of a hi quaility audio system for music on this purchase.

I Don't think it was a bad choice. I manage to get a couple of good sources at cut prices (a Nad c715 as a stereo receiver and a fiio m11pro as a streamer) and I've been listening a lot of quality music as I never did before.

Nevertheless, I'm not totally satisfied. Hip hop and electronic music are a true delight to experience, but the voices or even the guitars on rock music seems like to be compressed or lacking bright. Like the sound need a little of fresh air. As others have said, the dialogues on the movies also have this problem.

I tried to use a dac (fiio k5 pro) but it doesn't do much of a difference.

The eq approach give me some hopes, but I wonder if the fives signature isn't quite all for me.

I just get the r-120sw on amazon hopping a sub could help with this problem, but it will only arrives to my country in may-june!.

@dcisive, is there's any chance for you to upload a video with your solution? I'm hopping to get the bellari in the future and that will be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

I really hope this thread help to improve the fives experience for everyone. I'm sorry if my english isn't good enough, but its not my native tongue!