Trigger Pulled

jdmccall

Hello Forum Members,

I haven't been very active in this or any other audio forums for quite a while, but I thought I would share this.  I just bought a pair of cherry Cornwall IV's from "Ronco21" on Ebay.  They are B-stock but the only "flaw" listed is minor scuffs on the outer shipping box.  They should be delivered sometime the middle of next week.  I'm looking forward to getting back in the Klipsch Heritage fold after a 12-yr. absence.  Here's hoping for smooth sailing ahead!🥂 ...and here's another one (or two) to everyone staying healthy, happy and covid-free! 🥂🥂

• Like 12

Thanks. 

I just talked to Ron from the Sound Seller and he is trying to find a freight terminal close to me.  We have an XPO Logistics close by but they don't use them.  Looks like it'll be Joplin, MO for pickup, which is fine with me as it's just an hour away.   He said he has a couple of options there.

As for amplification, it'll be my Parasound 2250 v.2.  Probably not the hot ticket for Cornwall's but it's the best I have on hand.  At least I won't be lacking for power.😄

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jdmccall said:

As for amplification, it'll be my Parasound 2250 v.2.  Probably not the hot ticket for Cornwall's

The Parasound 2250 v.2. is excellent for the CW4  275 watts ----------clean power  ,  the CW4 is rated at 100 watts , and 400 watts peak ----at 100 watts continuous  which is slightly lower than 50% output   , you will have practically no distortion  --it's a perfect fit   for adequate headroom -

2250v2_back_black.jpg

• Like 4

I was considering Crites Style B (🤫..."Cornscala's") myself, but chickened out for fear I'd ruin them trying to finish them, or else never be happy with my finish job.  I'm only 4 hours from Russellville, AR, so it would have been an easy drive.  Resale also factored in.  Not that I forsee selling them, but when I'm gone, my wife or kids may want to. 

I've never seen the "natural cherry" other than pictures but that's what I ordered.  My equipment cabinets are all a medium oak (CWD).  I hope they look OK together.  I had a hard time picking between the cherry and the walnut.  I prefer the cherry for sure if it looks like Klipsch pictures of the La Scala AL5 and the RF-7 III.  But if it looks too orange like some of the new CW4 pics on Klipsch' web site, ...😟  Either way, they ain't goin' nowhere.  I intend for this to be it for me as far as major speaker purchases. 😇

I think the shades will be fairly close.  I have Cherry Heresy IVs.  they are a light honey color. 

I also wouldn't sweat the Parasound.  Their amps used to be Class AB biased deeper into Class A than many.  My HCA-1205 ran in Class A to 1.25 watts.  If yours is similar, you may be listening to a Class A amp most of the time.  Call and ask. 

• Like 1

I love the veneer on the cherry LS AL5 (and H4, too), so if my CW4 looks like that, I'll be super thrilled. 

I'm not going to lose any sleep over my amp situation.  I've never owned tubes so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.  I used a 140W Luxman A/B amp with my '85 cornwalls and they sounded great.  My Parasound is probably a better amp than the Luxman was so I think all will be well.

For those of you keeping score, Yours Truly is still patiently waiting for the arrival of his cherry cornwall fours from "The Sound Seller" in Marinette, WI.  This is day 7 of my guaranteed 3-day Fast'N Free delivery.  When last I checked, they were supposedly sitting in a trailer in St. Louis, MO.  They are now saying delivery to Baxter Springs, KS will occur on Monday August 10th.   Take your time, boys!  As long as they arrive undamaged and functioning properly, I'll be happy, happy, happy!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jdmccall said:

For those of you keeping score, Yours Truly is still patiently waiting for the arrival of his cherry cornwall fours from "The Sound Seller" in Marinette, WI.  This is day 7 of my guaranteed 3-day Fast'N Free delivery.  When last I checked, they were supposedly sitting in a trailer in St. Louis, MO.  They are now saying delivery to Baxter Springs, KS will occur on Monday August 10th.   Take your time, boys!  As long as they arrive undamaged and functioning properly, I'll be happy, happy, happy!

Patience is important during this surreal time.  In our small business, we receive shipments from fabricators all over the world.  Shipping has become a major problem.  Both FedEx and UPS have managed to get shipments to their respective local terminal, only to “lose” them.  When shipments that are to take days turn into weeks, it’s a problem.

Calling the shippers’ “customer service” departments is, all but, useless.  One such call to the local FedEx terminal resulted in a conversation with an obviously frustrated woman.  She acknowledged the information available on the tracking site which tracked the shipment steadily across the country until it reached the local terminal.  In a moment of candor, fueled by frustration, she said, “We’ve got three semis waiting to be unloaded, but nobody to unload ‘em.”  She advised asking the vendor/shipper to file a claim.

Twice recently large expensive orders disappeared into black holes.  To their credits, both vendors remade the orders, due to the inordinate delays.  We field daily calls from our customers, “Where’s my stuff?”  Most understand the unusual circumstances, but a few seem to think it’s some personal slight to them.

I always stress to the customer service people with whom I speak that my obvious frustration is not with them.  It’s not their fault, but they’re in the line of fire.

Please let us know when you are, “happy, happy, happy!”

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 8:11 PM, Shakeydeal said:

You are really going to like these speakers. I've had mine for a week now and they are the real deal. Congrats!

Shakey

Welcome back , Shakey

You had your fling with the Spatials and now back to horns I see.

I received ebay order confirmation at 2:47PM on July 31.  The tracking shows much more sitting and trailer-changing  than it does actual moving.  While in Chicago they were transferred from one trailer to another 2 or 3 times.  I'm thinking now they're probably gonna sit in St. Lou over the weekend.  But like I said in previous post, as long as I eventually get to pick them up in Baxter Springs, KS, undamaged and in perfect working order, I'll be OK with it all.  I'm not losing any sleep over it; just sharing the experience, warts and all.

These days everybody is blaming everything on the covid.  Maybe that's legit.  Maybe not.  I just hope my speakers don't get sucked into any of those "black holes".😲