Musical tastes

Thaddeus Smith

and to add a short bit. Our family was surprised when the youngest said he wanted to learn trumpet. However, it led him to a degree in music composition from Valparaiso U., and all of us loving all kinds of orchestral music. A win win for all of us.

I'll listen to anything from Mozart to Metallica depending on my mood that day. To me good music is about the artist making an emotional connection to the listener irregardless of the genre.  My ex played classical piano in school and she turned me on to classical and orchestral music.  My youngest son played in a death metal band for a while and he's gotten me into some of the newer heavy metal stuff.  I graduated high school in '75 so of course I'm a fan of a lot of music from that era.

Rock, blues, soul, country,  jazz, classical, pop, whatever. Experiment, then listen to what you enjoy.  To hell with what anyone else thinks!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 11:13 PM, thebes said:

I am completely baffled and confused by this thread, and claims we do not share musical tastes.

I would guess that at least half, if not more, of all my posts have been about music.  Duh. What is Right This Minute about if not about sharing musical tastes.  In this section alone there are at least two ongoing musical threads involving vinyl and cds/digital.  Almost every day somebody posts something, or mentions a piece of music in an ongoing thread.  There have been dozens of threads about classical, jazz, rock , female vocalists, reggae, blues, etc. You name the genre and there have been threads and post about it.  Oh and what about Members Weekly Music Recommendations, which lasted several years until some software revision killed it.

It's all about the music.  You Lounge lizards should get out around the Forum more.

I completely agree with you . Everything revolves around music. Besides the audio technical relevant threads there are wonderful music threads like " Viny Record Spinning, YouTube Spinning, Right this minute or " The other disc " .These threads are filled with endless musical content and make a lot of fun. I have bought so many records and CD's from bands that I could discover for myself again or were unknown to me.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 11:44 AM, Chris A said:

I'm actually surprised that Richard (Coytee) hasn't chimed in yet...with Donny & Marie stories...

You're judging me on the Donny part.....  I only talk about Marie.... :o  :emotion-21:

Don't know how to answer the question....  I'm essentially stuck back in the 70's maybe 80's....  Moody Blues being my favorite band but, I also enjoy tossing some pipe organ or something otherwise a bit more refined on every now & then.  

Here's a story that will bore the bones off you (you generically, not you  Chris!.....though it might bore your bones too!)

Anyway, in college, I had an LP.  Something I bought simply on a whim.  Took it home, turned out to be interesting but, it had a track on there that had a drum roll that REALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYY sent my dbx 3bx into active mode.  "Articulate" is the only way I can think to describe it because those yellow & red lights were hitting full strides in both directions.

As it happened, literally 2-3 months ago, I thought I recalled the band...tried in vain to look them up and couldn't find anything.  Turns out I was remembering the wrong name.  Recalled the name of the song, looked it up and the band's name was....  aww heck....even as I type, I forget it again (it will come back)  Looked them up, listened to an online sample, decided to buy the CD which is now in my car...

HA, remembered....  the song was "Last Chance" and the group was 'Shooting Star'.  Bought the CD and recalled there are several nice songs.  They kind of remind me of Kansas (the band).  Their lyrics say a bit more than "She left me and I want her back"

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Coytee said:

You're judging me on the Donny part.....  I only talk about Marie.... :o  :emotion-21:

Don't know how to answer the question....  I'm essentially stuck back in the 70's maybe 80's....  Moody Blues being my favorite band but, I also enjoy tossing some pipe organ or something otherwise a bit more refined on every now & then.  

Actually, Donny has a good voice.  stuck in the 70s is the best place to be stuck in though.  I saw the Moody Blues several years ago. Ran into a musician friend of mine there ... his wife loves the band and he says he has to go to any Moody Blues concert within driving range. 

I agree....  without having counted, I've probably seen them over 20 times over the years.  Seen them in Akron (OH), Cincinnati, Savannah, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Knoxville.  They've put on cheesy azz shows, and very memorable shows.  Specifically those playing with the local symphony's were very nice.  A great match.

Maybe this belongs in the picture thread...

Wonder if you know what song was playing in the isolation picture??  (it would be obvious once you know)

Hayward.jpg

Q.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 9:23 PM, Bobby Z said:

depending on my mood that day

Indeed!

And it can lift my mood,

or sink it therapeutically so I can experience catharsis,

or interlace both.

Up: The last movement of Beethoven's 7th symphony, Rene Leibowitz version.  The Nine Symphonies of Beethoven: Rene Leibowitz Conducting The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and the Beecham Choral Society

Yes, the sound counts.  1. Vinyl with moving coil Ortofon cartridge, Khorns, Big Room, Bass +6dB.  Superb!

2. Chesky CD transfer, Khorns, Big Room,  Bass + 6 dB, + Audyssey Reference. Almost as good

Down into cathartic release:  My jazz or blues selection of the day.

Interlace: Some Stravinsky, e.g. The Firebird, or, sometimes, Miles.