La Scala plans - metric

Recently finished the CAD drawings for a La Scala clone I'm working on, and thought I'd upload them for anyone interested. It's all 18mm baltic birch plywood (approx 3/4"), and the interior dimensions are the same as the original. Exterior dimensions are a bit larger than the original.

These will be powered speakers (with built in monoblock amps), with the option of using either the internal or an external amplifier. I can switch between XLR inputs or speaker terminal inputs.

I'm planning on using the following components:

Crites 15" woofer

Crites CW 1526

Squawker horn

Eliptrac 400

Squawker driver 300-7K

B&C DCM50

Tweeter horn

Eliptrac HF

Tweeter driver 2K-18K

B&C DE10

ALK Design bass crossover

AP12-600

ALK Design treble crossover

AP15-6000

Orchard Audio mono amplifier

BOSC module

Murata 54v power supply

PQC250-54D

LaScala drawings metric.pdf

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

1014255617_WhatsAppImage2021-04-09at14_36_28.thumb.jpeg.f0cd71c66d7cd4d9e1fc2e0e99e0aa35.jpeg

Am dry fitting my new La Scala's, modified from my original plans to use 25mm (1 inch) sides and top. Doghouse is still 18mm (3/4 inch) plywood.
I know, the tweeter goes on top. The horn cabinet is sized for the Eliptrac squawker and tweeter horns, and has a closed back panel

1657386336_WhatsAppImage2021-04-09at14_36.28(1).thumb.jpeg.3ed123f0366c32f60c7b3549ce75331e.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ghostfather said:

1140907728_WhatsAppImage2021-04-09at14_47_21.thumb.jpeg.794dd3375770da4836489139a7474ba2.jpeg

It'll all be painted using transparent topcoat, I like the color of the Birch plywood. Let plywood be plywood. Horns and the base will be black

A  Lascala Made from   BB ,  versus  MDF -this Raw Birch look is superb -18mm is  0.71 inches --- the Lascala Industrial of the 80's was thicker than 18mm

- Can you please  add pictures of the modifications ,  the improvements are key here -

1)  45 degree miters between the sides and top -

2)-back panel for the H/F section- -

3) The horizontal brace above the doghouse is slotted into the side panels  -

Regards , Randy

On 4/9/2021 at 4:59 PM, RandyH000 said:

A  Lascala Made from   BB ,  versus  MDF -this Raw Birch look is superb -18mm is  0.71 inches --- the Lascala Industrial of the 80's was thicker than 18mm

- Can you please  add pictures of the modifications ,  the improvements are key here -

1)  45 degree miters between the sides and top -

2)-back panel for the H/F section- -

3) The horizontal brace above the doghouse is slotted into the side panels  -

Regards , Randy

I should get around to gluing and clamping them this next week, and can post some pictures. The 45 degree miters are reinforced using biscuits, 4 on each joint. I'd originally planned on dowels, but this is stronger. The back panel on the horn section is just flush with the back of the speaker, and will be secured with simple screws to be able to get to the electronics.
I'll post a few photos

Hi everyone!  Another pilgrim starting on the path of DIY LaScalas.

Thanks, Ghostfather, for putting together your excellent set of plans.  These will make the project much easier.

I've got a pair of Heresy Industrials (wedges) the drivers of which I have have put in ported bass reflex cabinets in a Forte/Cornwall/Chorus-style merge.  This was in an attempt to a) allow them in the living room, b) get better bass, c) tame the top end.  This was reasonably successful but I've been reading up on LaScala's for a while now and I've come up with a plan to transition my Fornwalls into LaScalas.

I was thinking of creating a separate bass unit with the mid/high in a separate box sitting on top.  This will help with weight as well as allow me to easily reconstruct the mid/high enclosure when I replace drivers in the future.  The initial version will use the K55 and K77 (as well as crossover) from the original HIPs.  Future phases will include upgrades to both of these, maybe with a DIY horn for the mids.  Crossovers will also be replaced with LaScala crossovers at some point (probably when the mid gets replaced).

Another idea I had was to construct everything with 3/4" MDF and in a later stage laminate 1/2" veneer ply on the sides, back and top to make them look prettier and provide more stiffness.  This will also allow me to separate the task of achieving accuracy (MDF stage) from that of achieving nice pieces of furniture. 

For the woofers I was planning (at least initially) on using a pair out of some old Yorkville Sound Maxim 1000 PA speakers.  I'm fairly sure these are RCF L15-K81Y although most of the pictures I can find  have six-rib baskets rather than the 8-ribs on mine.  They're 387mm diameter so they should fit OK and they're rated to 500 watts.  If anyone has a spec sheet for them I'd love to see it.

I'll let you know how things go.  MDF should be delivered this afternoon.

MaximWoofer.jpg

Edited by Iant54
Identified woofers

Please be warned if using the measurements from my metric drawings for the horn openings. I used older measurements which were off by exactly an inch, meaning the openings for the Eliptrac 400 squawker were an inch too wide. Measure what you have before routing the openings.
Not a big setback, but mine have to be done over.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 12:57 PM, Ghostfather said:

Recently finished the CAD drawings for a La Scala clone I'm working on, and thought I'd upload them for anyone interested. It's all 18mm baltic birch plywood (approx 3/4"), and the interior dimensions are the same as the original. Exterior dimensions are a bit larger than the original.

These will be powered speakers (with built in monoblock amps), with the option of using either the internal or an external amplifier. I can switch between XLR inputs or speaker terminal inputs.

I'm planning on using the following components:

Crites 15" woofer

Crites CW 1526

Squawker horn

Eliptrac 400

Squawker driver 300-7K

B&C DCM50

Tweeter horn

Eliptrac HF

Tweeter driver 2K-18K

B&C DE10

ALK Design bass crossover

AP12-600

ALK Design treble crossover

AP15-6000

Orchard Audio mono amplifier

BOSC module

Murata 54v power supply

PQC250-54D

LaScala drawings metric.pdf 404.08 kB · 25 downloads

These plans are really detailed. Any chance you would share the CAD file? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

This looks very good! And thanks for the detailed drawings. I'm just wondering why the front tip of the triangle of the doghouse looks like it's set further back in the photos of your Lascala. In the photo of the Lascala in your pdf and also in my original 1977 Lascala, a finger barely fits between this tip and the end of the side walls or floor. Did you move the doghouse back or extend the sidewalls?

Or was the doghouse not fixed yet? In your last photo in the last post of your photos the distance looks like I know it. So different from your first pictures.

On 6/1/2021 at 10:39 PM, KT88 said:

Or was the doghouse not fixed yet? In your last photo in the last post of your photos the distance looks like I know it. So different from your first pictures.

The pictures are a dry fit in the shop, so no, the doghouse wasn't fixed or glued or anything. The point of the doghouse comes to the front edge of the bottom plate. These were fresh from the CNC machine at the time.

The photo in the pdf was a real LaScala, plucked from the internet, and probably the same as your LaScala.

All my drawings and build are based on the now famous factory drawings that have been circulating for a while, at least for the inner dimensions. Because I went with thicker sides and top and rear panels, the entire speaker is a bit bigger. I also increased the horn cabinet to fit the horns and drivers that I selected, so it will add a few cm's to the height, but shouldn't affect the sound.

I departed from the original drawings when rabbeting the "shelf" between the bass bin and horn cabinet into the side walls, and using mitered corners at the top/sides, mostly for aesthetics. I also added a back panel to the horn cabinet to hold speaker connectors, and will be vented to prevent heat build-up from my monobloc amps mounted inside. These will be powered speakers, switchable between the internal monobloc and an external amp.