best amplifier recommended for MCM-1900 system

DJM

Hello audiophile friends, I have purchased a MCM-1900 3-way system,

I would like your recommendations which is the best amplifier for its performance,

thank you.

95EE0A62-97D0-4A48-B334-E28756DF35B2.JPG

• Like 4

Did you get the passive crossovers with them? If not you will need a dsp unit or amps with them . If you have the crossovers. Then they will sound great with a high power kt88 tube amps. Nice find and great sound from them. Hope your room has a ton of space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I ran a set of MCM 1900's in my shop with a Klipsch OEM 3 way crossover off of a Crown XLI 800. I set the gain on the amp half way up and controlled the volume from there with the volume control in Windows Media player  and it would run you out of the shop before I could turn  the volume up all the way on the PC. Those are very efficient speakers.

• Like 1

I have the bass bins with LaScala tops, and have run them with 2A3 tube amps (3.5 watts) up to the Crown XLi800 (300 watts). The bass is tighter with the Crown. Also use a modified Crown D-45 (35 watts), which is the best sounding and still plenty of ooomph!

It will totally depend on what area you are trying to fill with sound.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 1:40 AM, carlthess40 said:

Did you get the passive crossovers with them? If not you will need a dsp unit or amps with them . If you have the crossovers. Then they will sound great with a high power kt88 tube amps. Nice find and great sound from them. Hope your room has a ton of space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes I have the klipsch MCM Passive Crossovers type M-3B, Thanks friend!

Those tweeters look a lot like a set I sold a guy in Texas who was building an MCM 1900 system. They were in perfect shape with just a couple of small scratches on one side into the logo a bit if I remember right. I don't think they were ever used much if at all.

I would suggest finding a good deal on some used pro amps.  One option to consider is to pick up one of these Carvins for the mids and tweets (Power: 4 channels at 300w X 8 ohms, 500w X 4 ohms each channel)

carvin dcm2004l 4 channel 2000w power amplifier

Paired with some crown or QSC for the bottom end. I haven't found a class D amp I like that drives subs well, so I used them for mid and tweeter duty. (I have a brand new Crown XTI1002 if you're interreted.  These are nice because of the built in DSP, but I wouldn't recommend them for sub duty)

When I had a permanent install DJ gig, I used an old carvin FET450 for the tweets, and FET 1000 for the mids and two Crown Macrotech 2400's for the 4 custom built Electrovoice 18" subs. Needless to say, I had plenty of power and headroom and it sounded amazing!  I loved my Macrotech 2400's, but the fans are super loud!

When I played Mr. DJ at weddings/school dances/ etc., I used my powered Mackie HD1531 3 way mains and a Crown comtech 1600 running  two custom built 18" B&C subs.  The amp was heavy, but it sounded so much better than the Crown XTI  version 1 I had at the time. This alone justified me lugging it around.