Chorus I

Pstores

I got a set of chorus I’s with Bob Crites Ti Tweeter Diaphram and Xover. Has anyone replace the caps he uses with Vcap ODam or any other caps. I really love the Vcaps. Have them in a Set of Zu Dirty Weekenders and my Preamps as well as Amps. Also anything else I can do to these that may help them. I have been thinking that I’ll try doing the port mods also. One last question...  These sound pretty good as they are. I just think there is more to get from them. Thanks for your input,

I do appreciate it. Been reading for a few days. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum and yes there is some mods that can be done to make them sound different.
Myself, just turned the volume
up on mine and concluded, they
were
awesome as is after a Clarity capacitor refresh.
Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome. Been in this forum for just over 10 years.. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
I read and research a lot here. But haven’t seen many posts of people using higher end caps like Vcaps. Just curious if it was a big improvement. Or more cost prohibitive for the return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pstores said:

Thanks for the welcome. Been in this forum for just over 10 years.. emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png
I read and research a lot here. But haven’t seen many posts of people using higher end caps like Vcaps. Just curious if it was a big improvement. Or more cost prohibitive for the return.

Vcaps are extremely expensive because they are very high end caps , for use with high end gear and to compare   Sonicaps to Vcaps  ODam is just like comparing an  entry level amp  to a high end Macintosh made by hand ----- 100% --------- the Vcaps  will bring out a sound  which the Sonicap cannot --

12 hours ago, Pstores said:

Thanks for the welcome. Been in this forum for just over 10 years.. emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Would love to get an honest assessment of the two brands of caps in your Chorus 1s. Hopefully with out any form of bias towards the higher price tag. Also (though very subjective) if the sound justified the increase in cost.

I know what the difference the Vcap ODAM made in the little Zu’s. And have seen what the VCAP Teflon’s made in the Atma-sphere preamps and amplifiers I’ve had. The VCAP Teflon would be way out on my price range. But their newer less expensive ODAM line maybe in my future. Kind of depends if I am going to hold on to my Chorus or upgrade to Chorus II.

I was hoping someone that maybe tried other caps like Mundorfs it Clarity would chime in as it there was a difference in that and the Sonicaps. Soni’s are a nice quality cap. But be interesting to hear what others have done.

I’m curious about how people actually go about comparing newly modified crossovers with their old set ups. I’d assume that best comparison would be an A-B test. That only seems likely to happen if someone goes through the trouble to ensure that they have two different crossovers to compare. Given that the modifications can be plenty expensive, I’d definitely want to be reasonably assured the juice was worth the squeeze.

I’m about to put some Dave A MAHL tweeters in my Chorus Is. I will A-B one speaker against the other, however imperfectly. I’m also recapping with Audyn parts Dave recommended. First big mods for me.  Should be interesting.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Outrider 6 said:

I’m curious about how people actually go about comparing newly modified crossovers with their old set ups. I’d assume that best comparison would be an A-B test. That only seems likely to happen if someone goes through the trouble to ensure that they have two different crossovers to compare. Given that the modifications can be plenty expensive, I’d definitely want to be reasonably assured the juice was worth the squeeze.

I made up a set of 4 DPDT switches so I can toggle between 2 crossovers  on the fly.  I like this better than using a ballance control to compare networks. 

4 hours ago, Outrider 6 said:

I’m about to put some Dave A MAHL tweeters in my Chorus Is. I will A-B one speaker against the other, however imperfectly. I’m also recapping with Audyn parts Dave recommended. First big mods for me.  Should be interesting.

The best way to compare would be to run frequency sweeps with a measuring mic and REW. If the old caps are worn out you'll see a difference in the graphs. If you can hear a difference will depend on the quality of your ears. I'm 50 and my ears aren't what they used to be. The MAHL's will make more difference than any crossover mod.

On 8/2/2020 at 7:34 AM, Pstores said:

I know what the difference the Vcap ODAM made in the little Zu’s. And have seen what the VCAP Teflon’s made in the Atma-sphere preamps and amplifiers I’ve had. The VCAP Teflon would be way out on my price range. But their newer less expensive ODAM line maybe in my future. Kind of depends if I am going to hold on to my Chorus or upgrade to Chorus II.

I was hoping someone that maybe tried other caps like Mundorfs it Clarity would chime in as it there was a difference in that and the Sonicaps. Soni’s are a nice quality cap. But be interesting to hear what others have done.

You'll hear more difference in TYPE of capacitor than in BRAND. IMHO. FIlm & foils and PIO's are the best. For a metalized film cap to be good you have to spend $ and be lucky. The high end metalized film ClarityCap's are a good deal and I have heard a "smoothing" effect with them. I like them. Mundorf F&F's are a great cap at a good price. Russian PIO's are the best bang for the buck in capacitors. Even with shipping from overseas. Don't use all one brand/type, mix it up.