Making a Fiberglass Horn, Anyone here have Experience with fiberglass

joessportster

I have a single Oris horn I want to use it as a mold to make a pair of horns. I have never used fiberglass in this way and could use some advice. 1 question is Gel Coat I know if I apply it to the mold and put the fiberglass strips with resin on top of that the inside should be smooth.  Correct ?  where would I get gel coat ? is there a specific type to use ?  

any help appreciated, I have watched a few videos and think I can handle the project

5 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

Go to a pgp paint store and they will help you with all your questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably had stumbling fingers when typing.....but did you mean PPG verses PGP?

Used to be Pittsburgh Paint & Glass, now called PPG Industries.  

There is tooling gel coat for the making of the molds and there is  another type for the building of the product. Chopped strand matt is  easier to layup than woven cloth. North Carolina has some boat builders I believe, maybe give them a call and see if they may be of help. I have done many repairs over the years and spent some time (6 months) doing repairs with the company Boston Whaler back when they were in Massachusetts 47 years ago, when I wanted some fender flairs copied a couple years ago I had a friend do them as he was set up (he makes GT40 bodies for those that want to build there own) to do it. I have done molds in the past but I had a place where I could make a mess and not make a stink around the house. It does not bother me much but the smell of styrene Is not pleasant to some. Here is a link to an Lotus Elan body that was rebuilt after being set up as a race car 50 years ago https://lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16586 its a long term project the may or may never be done.

IMG_1981.thumb.JPG.89d012212aa49e83c94f5662ef8d79a8.JPG

IMG_1974.thumb.JPG.ea13316c5b1d0aca933400465378a17a.JPG

• Like 1