Klipsch are dangerous.......but in a good way

Smitty8451

Hello all, long time lurker but first time posting on this forum.  To start of with a little history on my post topic.  I’ve always enjoyed music, and during my 23 years in the military (Air Force (AKA flyboy) that’s for the vets on the forum, btw thank you for your service, I grew to appreciate fine audio gear.  I started of with a inexpensive Fisher late 80’s multipeace rack system, then graduated to Carver separates in the early 90’s with some DBX gear thrown in.  When surround became a thing replaced it all with B&K equipment bought from Tweeter in Virginia.  All along this time I went through a myriad of Bose floor standing speaker to include 901’s, 601’s and 501’s (I didn’t know any better) but finally settled on some Bose 10.2 speakers I got for a steal.  Fast forward to 2009 and a year after I retired I went to the local hi-fi shop (I now work there) and purchased a pair of Klipsch RF-63 speakers.....OMG awesome sound and what has followed is purchasing the following, rc-62Ii, Rs-52, Rs-62ii, Rs-52ii, rc-64iii, and 2 years ago a pair of la Scala II walnut speakers.  Now I was good until I bought the la Scala, then it was “they sound better with tubes”. Heck before you know it Rogue audio Pharoah, then RP-7, the Atlas magnum II amp, but no, let’s go all in, hand built tube amp (I really enjoyed this) and now in 3-6 weeks a brand new pair of La Scala AL5’s my dream speakers.  I can honestly say music has never sounded better and the knowledge I have gleaned from this forum over the years is priceless so thank you all.  Here is a list of my current system, please advise on any improvements I may gain in your experience.

Rogue Audio

RP-7

Pharoah

Atlas Magnum II

Yamaha

CX-A5000/5200

Sony

HAP-Z1ES

OPPO

UDP-205

HA-1

Tavish Audigio Phono pre-amp

Music Hall MMF 7.1

Elekit TU-8800

Antimode 2.0

Assorted Ashley PEQ/EQ’s

Luxman AS-55

Kramer VS-88a selectors

like my topic says Klipsch can be dangerous, but oooooohhhhh soooo good

• Like 4

Well, Flyboy (you started it! :emotion-21:), sounds like you've got a nice system put together!!

Better stop now while you're young & innocent....  it only draws you in more and you want to get better sound (which is always possible) and before you know it, you'll have a 7.1 surround system comprised of MWM Grande stacks....with a couple dinky subwoofers thrown in for good measure.

Flee while you can.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Smitty8451 said:

Thanks guys, yea the rabbit hole is deep

SAC/MAC/TAC Cold War vet

9D89AC0C-4C22-45CC-948D-4DC929BA7ACB.jpeg

Yikes, is that a "Danger High Voltage" sign above?

I also have one and used to set it on the floor in the very front.

Must be something about great minds, no??!!  

I really like the Atlas II it has great depth and a very wide soundstage, very holographic in nature.  I did change out the 12au7 and 12ax7 tubes with some of the best 1950 era tubes i could purchase.  When I don’t have time to get the Atlas warmed up I use my pharaoh integrated amp,  it runs cooler and has NOS Brimer tubes in it.  The only issue I have come across is the noise floor.  The Atlas is dead quite but the Pharoah does have some tube rush.  After talking to Nick at Rogue he said the gain on the Pharoah is high by design so very sensitive speakers will reflect that, but once the music starts it’s not noticeable   I run 4 separate systems through my la Scala II speakers and my order of best sound is the following with 1 being the highest:

4 - Yamaha CX-A5200 SS preamp-> ATI AT-2004/AT-2007 SS Amps

3 - Pharoah Tube Integrated Amp (tube pre, SS amp)

2 - Yamaha CX-5000  SS preamp-> Elekit TU-8800 Amp (tube amp)

1 - Rogue RP7 Tube preamp -> Atlas Magnum II Tube Amp

I also run 2 rhythmic subs via a Antimode Dual Core II to fill in below 50 hz and the blend in seamlessly with all my systems.  I have some AL5’s on the way and am looking forward to hearing them as I believe Mr. Delgado has changed the mid and tweeter along with the crossovers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I had a break this weekend and figured it was a good time to pack up my la Scala II’s for the gentleman who’s buying them, got them moved and setup for him and he’s loving them, my girls got a good home.  Anyway came home and setup some temp speakers turned on the system......and what the hell did I do!!!, it’s listenable but hurry up shipping I need my AL5’s like yesterday!!!, just don’t know what you got till it’s gone.

Well, Flyboy (you started it! :emotion-21:), sounds like you've got a nice system put together!!

Better stop now while you're young & innocent....  it only draws you in more and you want to get better sound (which is always possible) and before you know it, you'll have a 7.1 surround system comprised of MWM Grande stacks....with a couple dinky subwoofers thrown in for good measure.

Flee while you can.
Lol...no one told me that in the 80s.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

That is really, really, cool.  Roy’s autographs, that is.  

As for what do do with your AL5s, way down the road, keep them for surround speakers when you get a pair of AL6s.  Most live concert recordings are now in 5.1 or better, Blu-rays sound better than CDs or LPs, and matching speakers all the way around is the best way to go.

The Klipsch Forum, where we love to help people spend their money!

• 9 months later...
  • Moderators

Very nice, I love LaScalas but the look of the new models with the thicker wood is the best looking of all of them, you did good. And signed by Chef Bonehead, nice.

Thank you for your service, now it's time to enjoy your hard work. :emotion-29: You did so well I already forgot you had a bunch of bose. :P 

• Like 1