Cornwall III's get a new band-mate (Technics GAE Turntable)

ODS123

Pricey but awesome.  Technics SL-1210GAE.  ..If anyone is in market for a new turntable I highly recommend it.  And fit/ finish is unmatched by any table I've seen costing less than a luxury car.  Turns about as steadily as a CD player and nearly as quietly. :)

54670801_IMG_4292(1).thumb.jpeg.e6b0d46417670ac15df76bc7183f2420.jpeg

vm760slc.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Panelhead said:

The days of picking up a new SL-1200 Mk II for 400.00 is long past. The GAE models seem to have advanced the offering. 

the 1210 is still a 1200 series ,  and any 1200 is already an excellent turntable , the prices of these decks were low , because sales were very high , then the sales slowed , so they pulled the turntables and when demand ramped up , again ,   they brought it back with a much higher price and with technical  refinements -------but it's still a 1200 in it's lineage -

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ODS123 said:

Pricey but awesome.  Technics SL-1210GAE.  ..If anyone is in market for a new turntable I highly recommend it.  And fit/ finish is unmatched by any table I've seen costing less than a luxury car.  Turns about as steadily as a CD player and nearly as quietly. :)

54670801_IMG_4292(1).thumb.jpeg.e6b0d46417670ac15df76bc7183f2420.jpeg

vm760slc.jpg

Hoping to buy an SL-1210GR soon. :-)

Edited by VNC Studio

4 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

"The SL-1210GAE will be available from June 2020 and limited to only 1,210 units will be sold in the world (300 in the US)"

Congrats

Not to put too fine a point on this but the US is likely getting less than 300.  According to a top US retailer, of the originally intended 1000 to be made, 700 were going to Europe (with an included Nagaoka cartridge) and 300 going to other non-European countries.  Of these, the US was to get about 190.

A week ago, Technics decided to increase the production an additional 200 units to 1210 total (kinda cute).  Some of these incremental units will come to the US, but not all..  So the US will likely see more than 190, but still well below 300.

I put my name on a waiting list early on..  ..I believe some dealers are still taking names as they expect some people are probably going to add their names to several waiting lists (which they shouldn't do, but will...)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VNC Studio said:

Hoping to buy an SL-1210GR soon. 🙂

I had a GR for two years.  ..It's a fabulous turntable, you'll be very happy with it.  While it doesn't have quite the tactile build quality of the G, or GAE (which stands for "G - Anniversary Edition") it is still heads and shoulders above ANY other $1700 turntable I've come across.  ..And, like the G/GAE, it has stellar speed stability and S/N ratio. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Panelhead said:

The days of picking up a new SL-1200 Mk II for 400.00 is long past. The GAE models seem to have advanced the offering. 

Great pics.  ..Other than the Technics 1200, can you think of ANY other Audio product that has been around that long??  Oh yeah, Klipshorn, Cornwall, etc... :)  Maybe that's why I dig both brands as much as I do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ODS123 said:

I had a GR for two years.  ..It's a fabulous turntable, you'll be very happy with it.  While it doesn't have quite the tactile build quality of the G, or GAE (which stands for "G - Anniversary Edition") it is still heads and shoulders above ANY other $1700 turntable I've come across.  ..And, like the G/GAE, it has stellar speed stability and S/N ratio. 

LPs will only be for a very specialized collection of older jazz and Indian classical music and I'm starting from zero. 

I was not considering direct drive until very recently but after reading about these new Technics it just seems far more logical and plug and play compared to turntables with free standing motors and fishing line thread. ;-)

Garrard idlers interest me but they are now too expensive and time consuming to restore.

Edited by VNC Studio
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 10:09 AM, Panelhead said:

The days of picking up a new SL-1200 Mk II for 400.00 is long past.

I picked up two SL-1200MkII tables for $350. A dj had used them. I sold one to a friend for $300, and got a new cart for the one I kept. They both work great.

• Like 1

I picked up my 1200 mkII for $85, used on e-bay. It was sold as, "won't power up", so I gambled and bought it. I already had a service manual, and had been repairing tables for local DJs on the cheap (mostly cable replacements), so I figured it was worth a shot. It turned out to be a broken power knob. A $10 part at the time. Still plays like a champ in my second system.