sagging grille cloth, easily marred finish???

jdmccall

Has anyone felt like their new Klipsch Heritage speakers suffered from these conditions?  I've seen a couple of YouTube video reviews that mentioned these things, specifically regarding  AK5 Klipschorns, Heresy III's and Cornwall IV's.  Just wondering.

To be clear -I don't have the problem!  I haven't even got my speakers yet.  I'm just going thru my normal (for me) post-purchase anxiety ("What have I done?  What if this?  What if that?").  I've seen a few mentions of these problems but I have no idea how prevalent they are or if they've been resolved by Klipsch.  I'm guessing it's a very minor thing and already in the rear-view mirror.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I am having the sagging grill cloth you mention on my Heresy IV's I purchased 10/04/2021. Filed a warranty claim 2 days ago, and am yet to here a peep. Hoping to hear from Klipsch next week at least. I know it doesn't affect the sound, which is absolutely delightful, yet aesthetics are very important. Especially with a $3500.00 plus pair of speakers. Plan on later upgrdaing to Forte or Cornwall IV's, if Klipsch takes care of this small problem efficiently. It's the small things that count. 

H4 1.jpg

H4 2.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hanksjim1 said:

hairdryer?  Not necessarily the answer for you, but I wonder if others has used this to fix theirs?

I´d be careful - depending on the fabric, you might get the opposite of the desired effect...

I saw a set of Heresy's at ListenUP that had the sag, which was disappointing. 

That said, if you're good with a heat gun (and very careful, because you can melt the small black plastic in between all the gold/silver), you can shrink the material down.  You'll want to do the whole thing evenly.  I did this when I wrapped my center, mantel grille with the same material.  It tightened up nicely. 

1 minute ago, yamahaSHO said:

That said, if you're good with a heat gun (and very careful, because you can melt the small black plastic in between all the gold/silver), you can shrink the material down.  You'll want to do the whole thing evenly.  I did this when I wrapped my center, mantel grille with the same material.  It tightened up nicely. 

Somebody tried this with the cloth from Crites? I´m in the process of re-wrapping the grilles of my Heresys, just in case I have to do corrections afterwards...

13 minutes ago, yamahaSHO said:

I’d start with a hair dryer before using a heat gun.  I’d also start from the back in the least conspicuous spot possible.  Another thought, would be to place the grilles in a south or west facing window where they will be warmed by the sun.

You shouldn’ Need to do this to new expensive speakers.  Hopefully, Klipsch CS will give you the go-ahead to try the heat fix with the understanding that replacements are available under warranty if unsuccessful. Good luck.

You mean like this on my Forte IV?

I believe there are a combination of issues at play here. First, there may have been a bad glue job on the cloth. That's a warranty issue. The second is likely due to the cloth acclimating itself to the humidity in your environment. A friend who builds wooden cameras cures his wood in a humidity controlled room for a year at 50% so that any variation in the real world is minimized. I don't think such conditions surround Klipsch during manufacturing, storage or display.

In any event, not patient for a dealer fix and following my philosophy "if it's already broken, what could go wrong?" I removed the grills and placed them face up on a counter. I figured out how to support the frame in more that the 6 posts on the backside, placed a thin towel over the grill and proceeded to steam iron the grill fabric into submission. It worked and has stayed flat and non-sagging for a month (longer than after I initially removed them from the box). For what its worth the iron was set to 300 degrees with steam and used some force.

As there is plastic in the grill cloth, I think a heat gun is an invitation to disaster. Most low setting are in excess of 500 degrees. 

As for finish issues, if its bad from the factory, Its "B" stock. otherwise, my experience with three set of Heritage speakers is they are no more susceptible to damage than any other modern wood finish, owner stupidity aside...

Relax & enjoy them!

Forte - 1.jpeg

1 hour ago, yamahaSHO said:

I'm not sure a hair drier can provide enough heat for shrinking the material. It. Took some real heat (carefully) to get the material to start shrinking. 

I’m not sure either, but I would:

• First, call Klipsch;
  • Second, put in direct sun;
  • Third, try hair dryer; and
  • Finally, try heat gun on lowest setting before SLOWLY dialing up toward 11.

OBTW, I enjoy reading about your SHO manipulations.

• Like 1