sagging grille cloth, easily marred finish???

jdmccall

9 minutes ago, yamahaSHO said:

Anything in the wrong hands is an invitation for disaster, even an iron.  

I've done this several times with a heat gun with this material, without issue. 

2022-03-13_09-25-51.thumb.jpg.7508609a1c828504d03d8cb9d853ba2c.jpg

can you explain your process please?

I am very curious.

thanks

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Schu said:

can you explain your process please?

I am very curious.

thanks

Nothing particularly special... I lay the grill down (on my tile floor), and keep the heat gun 6-8" away from the material, moving over the area quickly and equally.  The distance and speed depend on the heat, starting further from the material and moving in, especially as the heat really gets to temp. 

18 minutes ago, yamahaSHO said:

Nothing particularly special... I lay the grill down (on my tile floor), and keep the heat gun 6-8" away from the material, moving over the area quickly and equally.  The distance and speed depend on the heat, starting further from the material and moving in, especially as the heat really gets to temp. 

Like you're spraying paint with a paint gun?

2 minutes ago, Schu said:

Like you're spraying paint with a paint gun?

I guess that's accurate.  You want the heat even across the whole media.  You start to get a feel for it. 

Once you get it somewhat shrunk on the first go, stop, let it cool, and see if it's enough.  If not repeat... This helps you from overdoing it. 

On the open areas (driver openings), take a little extra care.  With my test pieces, that's where I found it could start to melt the little plastic between the gold/silver.  

When in doubt, move fast and keep plenty of distance. You'll eventually see what works well. 

On 3/13/2022 at 9:27 AM, AndreG. said:

Somebody tried this with the cloth from Crites? I´m in the process of re-wrapping the grilles of my Heresys, just in case I have to do corrections afterwards...

I have, works great, don't get too close with the heat gun and keep it moving.  You can see the fabric begin to shrink and keep it moving.  Get the hang of the motion along the edges, it may tighten up the center as well.

• Thanks 1

I have re-clothed many vintage and modern speaker cabinets and you can use a hairdryer, an adjustable heat gun is better but so long as you keep the distance and speed even you can get the material tight as a drum. The make grille cloth to be fit this way with heat after it's stapled in place. If the cloth is not fastened tightly with either staples or adhesive then using heat will not help you.

Start at a far distance and in good lighting, maybe 8" with a hairdryer. Hit a corner with heat, and watch very closely to see what happens after 2 seconds. If you don't see any difference move in slowly until you see a very slight shrink with about a 1 second time span of heat applied. I mean a very small amount of shrink, it adds up as you go across the entire grille, and you may need a few passes to get the desired tightness. Just make sure once you get the distance down keep a nice even pattern heating the cloth in passes.

I have seen some companies barely even heat the material and the cloth looks loose and sloppy after time, a nice tight square pattern will emerge from the correct amount of tightening that ends up looking great and should be nice and rigid when finished. The heat also helps harden the cloth to a stronger material.

• Like 3

On 3/13/2022 at 10:55 AM, michaelwjones said:

In any event, not patient for a dealer fix and following my philosophy "if it's already broken, what could go wrong?" I removed the grills and placed them face up on a counter. I figured out how to support the frame in more that the 6 posts on the backside, placed a thin towel over the grill and proceeded to steam iron the grill fabric into submission. It worked and has stayed flat and non-sagging for a month (longer than after I initially removed them from the box). For what its worth the iron was set to 300 degrees with steam and used some force.

When you say that you supported 6 points, what exactly did you mean? I definitely want to try your method on my Heresy IV's grills, as it looks to have worked perfectly. 

Edited by ScrewMeasurements2021

"When you say that you supported 6 points, what exactly did you mean? I definitely want to try your method on my Heresy IV's grills, as it looks to have worked perfectly. "

Assume you are placing the grill flat, face up on a counter. The 6 posts (4 for a heresy) are all that are touching the surface of the counter and if you press anywhere else on the grill, it will bend or flex. I used a legal pad with enough pages removed to match the height of the posts, thus supporting the grill. I could then iron with some downforce without the grill bending. I moved the pad around as I ironed. I also had a thin towel between the iron & the grill cloth. One of the reasons I ironed, rather than using a heat gun, was I had  hunch the glue would react to both the heat and steam (plus I could regulate the heat setting on the iron). So far, so good.

And yes, I have been known to iron my shirts so I know how to get wrinkles out.

On 3/17/2022 at 11:23 PM, michaelwjones said:

"When you say that you supported 6 points, what exactly did you mean? I definitely want to try your method on my Heresy IV's grills, as it looks to have worked perfectly. "

Assume you are placing the grill flat, face up on a counter. The 6 posts (4 for a heresy) are all that are touching the surface of the counter and if you press anywhere else on the grill, it will bend or flex. I used a legal pad with enough pages removed to match the height of the posts, thus supporting the grill. I could then iron with some downforce without the grill bending. I moved the pad around as I ironed. I also had a thin towel between the iron & the grill cloth. One of the reasons I ironed, rather than using a heat gun, was I had  hunch the glue would react to both the heat and steam (plus I could regulate the heat setting on the iron). So far, so good.

And yes, I have been known to iron my shirts so I know how to get wrinkles out.

Thanks Michael! I will be trying this fix for sure!

• 7 months later...