New guy just bought himself some RP8000F’s help!

INDY K

RAMBLE MODE / ON

Hello all I’m happy to be here! I hope i’m in the proper section. 

Ive been researching new home audio for myself within the past two months lurking all the audio sites and bugging all my other forum members with home audio questions about whats hot these days and whats not. I was originally fishing for some Cerwin Vega Xls15 2’s and was displeased to hear all the shuffling thats been going in with them and hearing about horrible CS service not to mention all production has moved to CHI-na. 

A forum member over at AK FILES.com suggested that I look into Klipsch Rp series and connected me with a Klipsch rep that got me a wonderful deal on 2 Rp8000F’s and an spl12.

My Kg-4’s, ran off a Yamaha HTR 5730, they sounded great before the speakers started breaking down, and the unit started frying.

I made some successful repairs but its time for new gear, hell i’m hitting middle 40’s lol! 

I listen to everything from SLEEP To Muddy Waters, TOOL to Lawerence Welk, Chuck D to Anthrax. Name it, I jam to it, absolutely everything. 

Im a walking jukebox. 

I’m having the hardest time finding a proper receiver. After a month of this I think i’m gonna flip I have the Rp’s coming this Thursday and I still dont have a receiver nailed down. I’m so glad I found this place especially after I just found the speakers I thought I surly could get honest, on topic replies specially oriented around the RP8000f’s.  

I’m not interested in a 9 channel AV surround sound mega 5000 10, Im kinda old school,

I want to run 99.5% music and RARELY a movie or show I want to run 2 towers with supporting subs.

The speakers are rated for 150wt so I assumed I should be looking for a 70-100 watt x 5 receiver? Just in case I want to add one more item? 

Since these run so efficiently is an amp necessary?  Do guys push these to 125-150 watts? Or is it better to run the speakers from the receiver conservatively and throw the rest of the demand to an amplifier? 

Help patriots I’m driving myself crazy trying to completely understand wth I need to get as far as an affordable well rounded near to true wattage receiver. My funds are particularly low for this right now. My budget for the receiver must be around $650 price mark.

I’m not looking to expand from the 2 main Rp’s and supporting subs  

a 5 channel perhaps? 

I see Dennon mentioned quite a bit on the other forums

I’m pretty old school. Take it easy on my guys for my lack of knowledge here and need for some hand holding. 

My babies arrive Thursday and cash, or card is in hand. 

Send links or advice as soon as ya can fellas! 

Thanks again! 

Edited by INDY K
right room?

1 minute ago, INDY K said:

My budget for the receiver must be around $650 price mark.

any used receiver will do ---------you need at least 100 watts per channel  , since your new speakers are rated at 150 watts continuous which means you  should need in theory 150 watts minimum , and up to 200 watts amp .----------------there are tons of used amps on ebay and even new ones at this price point  --650$  ---

Forgive meh here Randy H 

If I found a receiver thats say 125-150 per channel and the speakers are 150 continuous what does the amplifier do? accommodate for the peaks, power draw? 

So any decent receiver thats 125-250watts per channel and an amplifier that hovers around the 200watt max ? 

Any recommendations on wire? 

Industry standards, etc

Edited by INDY K

Wire is a contentious topic

solid copper, mutli-strand. ... I suppose silver or gold would be better

How long are the wires needing to be? If you are making long runs, heavier gauge  I think folks are using 12 or 14ga, generally speaking.

I will be set straight if I am misinforming you.... I'm kinda new to the intricacies.

54 minutes ago, INDY K said:

Forgive meh here Randy H 

If I found a receiver thats say 125-150 per channel and the speakers are 150 continuous what does the amplifier do? accommodate for the peaks? 

So any decent receiver thats 125-250watts per channel and an amplifier that hovers around the 200watt max ? 

Any recommendations on wire? 

Industry standards, etc

Your speakers are rated at 150 watts continuous and it can handle up to 600 watts peak ,   a  150 watts amp  has 3db less output than a 300 watts amp-a 600 watts amp 6db more -

-typically , in your example , one tries to buy an amp that has say , 2x the 150 watts continuous , because distortion starts at  50% of the volume ------- if you want  to enjoy the sound , you must maintain low distortion ,   the higher the wattage in the amp for your speakers  all the way up to 150 watts is best as the components can play 150 watts continuous with 0 distortion and the highest quality -  and an amp of 300 watts at 50% output will mean very low distortion  levels  -------  try to find  , an amp  up to 150 watts ------

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

can't speak with any authority on it

quite satisfied with what I have, so I don't shop

my amp is a vintage Harmon/Kardon 630. 30W/channel pushing a pair of LaScalas.  Half volume is concert level.

an HK 630 is audiophile  quality -------made long time ago, the expensive way -------

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, INDY K said:

Speakers will sit about 6 foot from the receiver 

I had a guy recommend a Dennon AVR x23000w.

What say ye?

specs are    /  2ch driven)95 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, THD 0.08% ------

I run 5 Klipsch Towers on a Harman Kardon

and in 5 Channel Mode it's 50 WPC.

The HK has a fair amount of current.

I'll only need more power when we move and get

a Larger Room.

Right now, I have plenty of power.

When I get a new AVR it will be a Marantz

with preouts so I can add an amp if I want and I want.

I will probably buy one at Accessories4less.

They have refurbs and I've had good units from there.

I'm running a 2004 Sony STR-DA5000ES receiver and it sounds better than anything I've ever tried.  It sold new for $1,500 and I bought a used one for $40 last year.  I would check your local Facebook marketplace, craigslist, etc and eBay for an older Sony ES receiver.  You should be able to pick one up for $50-200 depending on the model.

@INDY K,

Welcome to the forum.

9 hours ago, INDY K said:

I want to run 99.5% music and RARELY a movie or show I want to run 2 towers with supporting subs.

If music stereo(2 channel + sub) is your main thing, then I would not go with a multichannel AVR.  Maybe a higher tier stereo receiver or stereo integrated amp?  

What is your budget for amplification?

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shakeydeal said:

Look at a nice, low to medium powered tube integrated.

Indy, stay far far away from tubes!  You will be full of disappointment at the first spin of Anthrax.

Most any old school SS integrated or receiver will suit your needs well.  The old stuff is generally built to a much higher quality and power output.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Matthews said:

Indy, stay far far away from tubes!  You will be full of disappointment at the first spin of Anthrax.

Most any old school SS integrated or receiver will suit your needs well.  The old stuff is generally built to a much higher quality and power output.

Wrong!

I have used tube amps exclusively for the last 20+ years. I assure you that Tool, Screaming Females, God%amn Gallows, Fight, and any other intense or busy music is well served. A good tube amp will not only sound good with Anthrax, but will sound better than many thin and sterile SS amps. This goes double for any mass market receiver.

Shakey

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looking to spend near the same for the amp, affordability is the key for me right now. I can go to Upper 5, 6’s for now and grab better gear when I become more knowledgeable and more funds become available. 

Fellas Im a nub here, integrated tube amps, the specs descriptions all might as well be written in Chinese to some extent. Im near blind when it comes to this investment like one of my pool customers who has a fist full of cash and don’t know crap about what he needs.

When I hear a description I’m running to google to see what that means and trying to decide if thats good for me type thing. 

If possible point to a direct compatible products. Entry level Dennon, Marantz seem to be what a few folks have recommended.  I spent last night just trying to make sense of whats been posted. 

Centering in on that amp williand thanks for the link patriot! 

How about this for a receiver fellas? 

Denon AVR-S650H Audio Video Receiver, 5.2 Channel (150W X 5) 4K UHD Home Theater Surround Sound (2019) | Music Streaming | Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, AirPlay 2, Alexa, HEOS Built-in | eARC and Upgraded HDCP

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-S650H-Receiver-Streaming-Bluetooth/dp/B07QRC9NP5/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=150+watt+stereo+2+channel+receiver%2C+used&qid=1596491091&s=aht&sprefix=150+watt+stereo+&sr=1-15

Edited by INDY K

6 minutes ago, INDY K said:

How about this for a receiver fellas? 

If you are going full on multichannel HT, then an AVR is a good way to go.  For 99.5% stereo music, then a stereo integrated amp, stereo preamp/amp combo, or stereo receiver are what I suggest.

5.2 channel AV receiver with 150W per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 10%, 1 ch driven)

Those above specs are some of the most manipulated, dishonest, deceiving, specs I have ever seen published.

This is what they truly are.  Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive) 75W

Bill