Center Speaker blues

Zalan

I have a  Denon AVR-S750H receiver and 7.1 speaker setup. I have tried many center speakers and none of them deliver crisp  dialogue in a movie. The best I can do is to use my Sony  XBR 77A9G TV as the center speaker.but that has no bass and to me it sounds tinny.

The Denon has all sorts of adjustments and I have rune the Audyssey setup which does not solve my problem. The best I can do involves turning up the relative volume on the center speaker, setting its crossover frequency to 200 Hz and using the graphic equalizer to boost the treble. 250 - 2000 Hz. I do not think I should have to do this but it is the only way to hear the dialogue and even so it is still a bit muffled.

My current center speaker is a 3- way Proficient CC 525 which is better than others but still falls short in my judgement.

Does anyone have a center speaker working wonderfully (that does not cost a small fortune)?

Edited by Zalan
clarity
  • Like 1

All the way from a RCX-4 to A RC-62, etc...to practically most Klipsch brand speakers starting with an RC designation should fill the bill over what you mentioned. Look at Craigslist local and OfferUp just 2, and others. Get back to us with model number and we can let know if a decent deal or not. Also, buy right, then you can sell it right now, in case you want to try another model center... @Zalan

Thanks for the input, guys. I will check out the suggestions.

My front speakers, CA-8T are (or were before new cabinets) outdoor speakers: 8" woofer/driver with horn tweeter. They work well at very high volumes - but I am married.

What worries me about Klipsch speakers is this article:  

http://www.alkeng.com/bad_AA.html

As you can see the Klipsch crossover attenuates the mid range which is the opposite of what I want.

A three way speaker is mandatory, I think, to get the most mid-range.

27 minutes ago, Zalan said:

Thanks for the input, guys. I will check out the suggestions.

My front speakers, CA-8T are (or were before new cabinets) outdoor speakers: 8" woofer/driver with horn tweeter. They work well at very high volumes - but I am married.

What worries me about Klipsch speakers is this article:  

http://www.alkeng.com/bad_AA.html

As you can see the Klipsch crossover attenuates the mid range which is the opposite of what I want.

A three way speaker is mandatory, I think, to get the most mid-range.

Centers are typically 2 way speakers. Some here use a single 3 way for center. Once again, from a single Heresy all through the classic/heritage to a single LaScala and beyond. A single Heresy on a stand may be the ticket then.

Before you abandon the idea of a center, you could listen to one.

Centers I have heard go from around 60 hz to 2k. That covers the mid-range. Talking Klipsch now.

That article is not really what talking about here.

A Quartet, another smallish 3 way with a larger midhorn.

11 hours ago, Zalan said:

Klipsch CA-8T reset in new boxes. These don't produce mid-frequencies too well either.

Phantom mode does not seem to be a feature on this receiver.

Phantom mode simply means turning off the center speaker in your receiver's menu.  The front main speakers will handle the dialogue then.