regular 7.1 vs Atmos 7.1

Zalan

My setup is for watching movies in 7.1 surround and my speakers are set up this way.  Some movies (more and more it seems) come with Dolby Atmos.

I have a Denon AVR-S750H receiver which can do either.  But to play Atmos means connecting Atmos speakers in place of the rear surrounds, which is a pain.

Has anyone streamlined changing between rear surround speakers and Dolby Atmos speakers?

I think you might be misunderstanding how Atmos works... you don't actually have to have "atmos" speakers connected to experience Atmos, although having overhead in-ceiling speakers certainly does make it more enjoyable. If you have a 7.1 speaker layout (all bed channels) and your receiver is decoding native Atmos disks (your receiver should say Atmos on the display when it is doing that), then you are already benefiting from the Atmos technology. You just don't have the overhead sound effects coming directly from above, but you're still getting them, they're just being shifted to the rear and side surround channels.

Since the limiting factor in your system is your receiver with only 7 discreet channels, you can either stick with 7 bed channels in a 7.1 configuration or add two in-ceiling speakers for a permanent 5.1.2 configuration. But you definitely don't have to keep changing between these layouts. I would suggest going for the 5.1.2 layout. And then if you are playing a disk that doesn't have an Atmos track, use the DSU (Dolby Surround Upmixer) for Dolby Digital content or the DTS-X upmixer for DTS content, or even just the DSU for both formats if you prefer, and you will still be benefiting from all 5.1.2 speakers in your system, albeit it possibly to a slightly lesser extent than with a native Dolby Atmos track.

For what it's worth, I love Dolby Atmos and think it is totally worth the investment in at least 2 in-ceiling speakers... 🙂

I hope this helps...

It helps a bit.

Presently the assignable channel is directed to the rear surround speakers so if playing an Atmos movie, the overhead effect is lost.

If I connect that assignable channel to Atmos (by which I mean front ceiling) speakers, then when playing a 7.1 movie, I lose the rear surround effect.

Both are compromises.

Your suggestion  is to choose the second alternative. And I get your point.

I want to be able to quickly switch between Atmos and 7.1

Perhaps the only answer is a new amp which is 7.1.2 capable ??