WTB heritage center

Bobby2xs

On 8/16/2020 at 8:35 PM, ZINDA89 said:

I have a set of series 1s that I had 3 speakers and 1 had a very poor cabinet while the other 2 looked better still needed to have cabinets restored. I decided to mirror finish black lacquer 2 and use the 3rd to make a center channel that would look more like a modern style center using both horns and opted for 2x 6.75” DCM dual 5.5 ohm VC woofers removed from a pair of large bookshelf's. I had to fabricate the entire cabinet and crammed everything in as tightly as possible without loosing strength on motorboard. I used typical techniques for cabinet design with dato cuts to groove sides around motorboard, all block backed seams, 45s on sides inset back piece. All 3/4” 7 layer oak veneer plywood  with no voids. Cab is 100% perfectly square, solid and sounds great, crossover was used with minor tweaks, all caps were tested using ESR meter and were dead on.

Since the woofers are a 5.5ohm load, I added a 15 ohm 10watt resistor to the woofer out put to impeedance match it to retain proper crossover point. I also moved the mids and tweeters down 1 setting on the autoformer to achieve a better sound output that very closely matches the 2 others. Al 3 had the drivers moved to the front of the boards. To keep motorboard strength I did not inset the drivers, I also moved them as close as possible to each other. To mount them on the front required the horns backside of the flanges to be flattened since they are cast with a thicker area in the center of the side flanges that tapers out towards the top and bottom flanges.There was a piece of textured hardboard precision cut to fit over all drivers on all 3 to give it a very different look and make the drivers appear to be flush mounted. All frond edges were rounded to reduce deflection further. 

This design and fabrication took about a week then 2 weeks to finish the cabinet exterior. The other 2 have not had any crossover changes and all caps tested exactly perfect.  This set of 3 sounds better than my series 2 set by far. I would like to sell all 3 or even 5 including the series 2 set also redone in mirror finish black Lacquer. Since I did make the most creative design I could think of the set of 3 really needs to be sold together.

I have named them the Heresy Tiki Series 1. Asking $1000 for the set of 3, $750 for the series 2 set, all 5 for $1500. There's about $750 just in paint and supplies, plus 4 months of all day every day labor that went into these, all 4 regular sized speakers are using all original parts, all caps were tested, all original wires but the series 1 set has updated binding posts.

IMG_20200503_142242.jpg

0816201835b0.jpg

If you want to PM me that would be awesome, I think this is excellent! Need to get some cash back up, just bought a bunch of gear. If you send me a PM I’ll get to you when my cash is right!!

On 8/17/2020 at 4:01 PM, twistedcrankcammer said:

Bobby,

Have you considered a single Split La Scala ? That is the best option as far as II am concerned. If a La Scala is too tall, you can set the top section dead center on top of a milk crate and set the bass bin off center to either side of the top hat since the bass is less directional. I need a single Split La Scala with trim like one of these if you are interested in splitng a pair.

Roger Gordon

IMG_2596.jpg.9779155d4c5fa43c8ff68204d9977ca0.jpg

I’ve got to keep the WAF high lol not sure this passes the sniff test!

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2020 at 5:47 PM, Emile said:

Hi @Bobby2xs,

Yeah ... had the same problem (almost) :)  Tried various centers and was not impressed. Best solution was using 2 Heresies with a center Heresy on my TV setup. (Also hooked up  are KPT-904's, but hardly ever use them for TV). Sound is excellent, and I am pretty sure you can "flip" the center without any sound problems. (Have my K-510 horns flipped 90 degrees and cannot hear any difference :) )  If you have enough room underneath the TV, that probably is the best way to go.  If not, @Foxman's suggestion for Bob Crites' center channel is interesting - but not familiar with it :( 

But, my center Heresy was "underneath" the TV ... HAHA; in front of the fireplace. Even though we are in Florida and almost never use the fireplace, my wife was "not pleased."  Went back to a phantom 2 speaker setup and have never missed the center :D 

Good luck ... keep us posted.

Cheers, Emile

I’ve been talking my wife into getting rid of her electric fireplace Entertainmet center for years and losing, as soon as I win (she gets tired of me asking) I’ll put a 3rd Cornwall in! Phantom center does seem better than the Jbs-3 tho!

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2020 at 6:36 AM, Skelt said:

I would suggest try to make a Heresy work by turning it on its side if it's too tall. 

Here is an Academy on CL. I think it belongs to a forum member 

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/ele/d/chagrin-falls-klipsch-academy/7134406758.html

Hi, 

This is my Academy. I have a guy coming from Virginia to Ohio to pick this up on Sunday. Rare speaker these days. 

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/ele/d/chagrin-falls-klipsch-academy/7176954060.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crunchman12001 said:

Hi, 

This is my Academy. I have a guy coming from Virginia to Ohio to pick this up on Sunday. Rare speaker these days. 

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/ele/d/chagrin-falls-klipsch-academy/7176954060.html

Rare for sure, and they disappear quickly! Case in point 😂😅😭😳

• Like 1

I've used the Academy, KLF-C7 and KV-4 and always came back to the Academy.  The KLF-C7 and KV-4 are very large center speakers.  Both, tend to lean towards a more mid-bass presentation.  I've evened swapped out the original tweeters with newer titanium domes to see if that would even out the presentation.  They are both great center speakers, but in the end decided to go back to the Academy.  I've considered replacing the one in my media room with a Heresy or Forte, but haven't ran across either at a decent price.  I almost built one with a empty Heresy cabinet I found locally.  Kinda wish I would have pursued it.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 8:46 PM, Bobby2xs said:

I’ve got to keep the WAF high lol not sure this passes the sniff test!

Bobby,

I don't allow my wife an opinion on my speakers! She has free rain to do anything she wants in her Kitchen. She has free rain to make any choices she wants on the bedroom. She has free choice of anything she wants in the bathroom. GDmit, I have the right to make ANY decisions I want on one room and she doesn't get ANY input !!

PS; I am having those splits veneered in Santose Rosewood veneer for a system for my Daughter. So far I have four matching split La Scalas with trim and a pair of Pro Klipsch Heresy slant monitors with trim, all to be veneered eventually in Santose Rosewood Venner for her that she picked out in person her self.  :D

Roger Gordon

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...