Advantage or Not ?

Higher Power on Effecient Speakers ?

IMHO I have liked SET amplification for its clarity and sweet mids. As long as the amp could produce enough power to render a decent overall Sound Quality I never gave it much thought. I moved to Bi-amping for a LONG time so Lower power was even less of a concern.

Recently I have been exploring Open Baffles and even more recently Open Baffles using a solo 15 inch full range driver alone on a larger baffle. Initially I stayed with my previous thinking that SET was enough. It did produce a nice sound overall.

Pondering thoughts about the Bass I decided it was time to try higher power. I popped in my Vincent ST70.  I was a bit shocked. I noticed something that had escaped me before, Vocals seem more fleshed out, Fuller. Bass was of course improved with better impact. I dont perceive a loss of fidelity, in fact just the opposite. 

This brings 1 question to mind for me. Is it the single drivers coherence that is highlighting the higher power amps abilities, could that be why I never really heard it before ?

What ever the reason I am certainly happy to hear it.  My Higher eff. single driver speaker is a DIY build Lii Audio F-15 on a barrel style baffel that measures 36 tall by 29 wide and is approx 100 Db

On 8/5/2020 at 12:04 PM, joessportster said:

Higher Power on Effecient Speakers ?

IMHO I have liked SET amplification for its clarity and sweet mids. As long as the amp could produce enough power to render a decent overall Sound Quality I never gave it much thought. I moved to Bi-amping for a LONG time so Lower power was even less of a concern.

Recently I have been exploring Open Baffles and even more recently Open Baffles using a solo 15 inch full range driver alone on a larger baffle. Initially I stayed with my previous thinking that SET was enough. It did produce a nice sound overall.

Pondering thoughts about the Bass I decided it was time to try higher power. I popped in my Vincent ST70.  I was a bit shocked. I noticed something that had escaped me before, Vocals seem more fleshed out, Fuller. Bass was of course improved with better impact. I dont perceive a loss of fidelity, in fact just the opposite. 

This brings 1 question to mind for me. Is it the single drivers coherence that is highlighting the higher power amps abilities, could that be why I never really heard it before ?

What ever the reason I am certainly happy to hear it.  My Higher eff. single driver speaker is a DIY build Lii Audio F-15 on a barrel style baffel that measures 36 tall by 29 wide and is approx 100 Db

It's a efficient 15 inch full range driver that needs more than fleawatts to get a grip on the bass. What is the size of your room?